PDA

View Full Version : Still raging

deano_83
01-01-2014, 08:30 PM
Having left at 2-1 which is very unlike me, so missing all the injury time drama, I had a pint in the pub then headed home and have had a couple of hours to calm down but I'm still really angry. As generally one of the most positive people on this board in general 9 times out of 10 I have to get this off my chest.

What on earth was that in the second half? After dominating much of the first half yet missing more chances to have the game sewn up, we came out like a totally different side within 15 minutes. Disjointed, fragile, playing with absolutely no confidence whatsover and we let a bunch of hardworking kids, which is all Coventry were today, run us ragged.

We stopped playing any football, hoofing it upto Revs who won a fair bit but Vuckic was a waste of time today and simply stood there looking at the ball instead of trying to get into some space or anticipate anything. We sat deeper and deeper and looked frightened which was ridiculously worrying.

The less said about their pen

Casper64Frank
01-01-2014, 08:49 PM
No Deano you're not being over critical just saying it as it was.The first half we were superb and unfortunate not to go in three up.
Second half we were like a pub team and a shambles and got what we deserved.
The second half performance was totally unacceptable.As for the sending off agree he had to go,Morgan got caught for lack of pace.Inside the box or outside he deserved his red card.

UTM.

dmentor
01-01-2014, 08:56 PM
You have got it spot on Deano,i can take a defeat,its the manner how we get beat,and to get done in that way,is totally unacceptable.>:(

1960smiller
01-01-2014, 09:34 PM
What makes me smile is this,a lot of people on here have gone a long with the rollarcoaster ride & IMO lost sight of the true facts,yes we have done well very well but the fact remains we have wanted a goal scorer now for all the time S/E as been with us,he farted about chasing Tubbs for god knows how long,let Nards go & like him are not he scored goals & he was ours not a loan player that scores a few then goes back like Dicko.

keets
01-01-2014, 09:40 PM
Not much of a consolation but Morgan will only miss one game I think.

one_a_day
01-01-2014, 09:46 PM
I think the conditions played a major part today. That first half wasn't pretty but it was certainly effective and I put that down to the wind holding the ball up. We should have tried to play it more on the ground in the second half but without Pringle and with two big lads up front that was never going to happen.

I would have brought O'Connor on for Vukic and sat him and Milsom in midfield to stifle them with Agard moving up front.

ColinRUFC
01-01-2014, 09:52 PM
(fifth attempt to post this)

The only slightly mitigating excuse/reason I can come up with is that the after effects of the "sickness bug" have taken their toll on energy levels in the squad, and combined with the lack of Pringle's energy we ran out of steam.

Tophams_Excelsior
01-01-2014, 10:07 PM
I didn't go to today's game but it sounded bizarre on millers player.

I'm wondering if there are a number of players suffering the after effects of the virus circulating around the club? Perhaps they ran out of gas in the second half as a consequence?

As you say Deano, it may be just as well we have 10 days to re-group...

deano_83
01-01-2014, 10:27 PM
Taking this bug into account, we looked fine going in at half time. Within 15 minutes interval there was a total change, that's not down to illness. Running out of steam in the final 20 I can understand but it wasn't that today.

The other games this season we've dropped ever so deep in, have followed similar patterns.

We are a work in progress and I think we all know that, but we just collapsed after half time having been so comfortable.

The belief wasn't there. Coventry aren't in the Premier league anymore.

millertop
01-01-2014, 10:32 PM

XD XD

The only slightly mitigating excuse/reason I can come up with is that the after effects of the "sickness bug" have taken their toll on energy levels in the squad, and combined with the lack of Pringle's energy we ran out of steam.

Certainly missed Pringle today.

tony260674
01-01-2014, 10:50 PM
I felt that although they were on top, Coventry never looked like scoring until Morgan was sent off. Morgan has been a rock since he came to the club but he made a stupid decision today. If he lets the guy go, he has a 50/50 chance of scoring and even if he does its 11 v 11. He tried to rugby tackle the Wolves guy before the equaliser as well. He let his team down.

CaptainDonjer
01-01-2014, 11:21 PM
I felt that although they were on top, Coventry never looked like scoring until Morgan was sent off. Morgan has been a rock since he came to the club but he made a stupid decision today. If he lets the guy go, he has a 50/50 chance of scoring and even if he does its 11 v 11. He tried to rugby tackle the Wolves guy before the equaliser as well. He let his team down.

Just highlighting our lack of pace at the back, Morgan as been brilliant as you say, for me Morgan is a better version of Ian Sharps wins most stuff in air but needs someone quick to play alongside him. We have Arnseon, Mills and Davis who make Morgan look like Usain Bolt!

Thankfully we have a week and half off now as we where complete baba second half today! hopefully this bug will have done one and the likes of O'Connor will be back firing on all cylinders clearly he is not 100%.

Maybe we did miss Pringle today, we cant just keep using Revell as our only outball, V

BramleyMiller1992
02-01-2014, 02:22 PM
Taking this bug into account, we looked fine going in at half time. Within 15 minutes interval there was a total change, that's not down to illness. Running out of steam in the final 20 I can understand but it wasn't that today.

The other games this season we've dropped ever so deep in, have followed similar patterns.

We are a work in progress and I think we all know that, but we just collapsed after half time having been so comfortable.

Spot on Deano.

We cannot blame that one on illness, just negative tactics and lack of confidence. I was equally as fuming post-match yesterday.

No I have not lost sight of the picture and I am fully aware that in general, the season thus far has been a success.

However, after witnessing the teams potenntial with displays like we saw V Gillingham and Bradord, it was enfuriating to see such a negative second half display.

millertop
02-01-2014, 02:26 PM

Spot on Deano.

We cannot blame that one on illness, just negative tactics and lack of confidence. I was equally as fuming post-match yesterday.

No I have not lost sight of the picture and I am fully aware that in general, the season thus far has been a success.

However, after witnessing the teams potenntial with displays like we saw V Gillingham and Bradord, it was e

gramiller1959
02-01-2014, 02:50 PM

XD XD

Certainly missed Pringle today.[/quote]

we didnt miss him in the first half :/ they came out thinking they would run riot again :) the only riot was the riot act coventry had at half time :s

very fine line between confidence and arrogance

millertop
02-01-2014, 03:02 PM

XD XD

Certainly missed Pringle today.[/quote]

we didnt miss him in the first half :/ they came out thinking they would run riot again :) the only riot was the riot act coventry had at half time :s

very fine line between confidence and arrogance[/quote]

We missed Pringle :)

Shawshank
02-01-2014, 03:19 PM
Looking back on yesterday, I was a bit annoyed with Craig Morgan to be honest. He seems to have got this habit of trying to bring players down when he's the last man. He tried it against Wolves for their third goal but didn't get enough of a contact, where he would have inevitably seen red there too. But why bother? If you bring him down in the box, we're probably going to concede from the penalty and also be a man down. At worst, by not bringing him down, we concede and still have 11 men. Poor decision making.

M0ZZA
02-01-2014, 03:24 PM

I agree Morgan's decision was rash but it was a split second impulsive decision. The midfield pair (don't know who) who stood 5 yards off the Coventry player in the middle of the pitch who was allowed to turn and waltz past them. If I was Morgan I would have been waiting in the tunnel for them.

Newyorker
02-01-2014, 03:32 PM
I wasn't overjoyed with the second half showing, but you have to take account of the facts from Coventry's point of view, they might have been well below par first half.

Lets face it before the game they had more points to their than us taking the -10 into account, so they can't be that bad.

They obviously had a half time rocket, while I do think the recent bug in the camp could easyly have left quite a few with less energy than was required to compete with side up for it second half.

There's no doubt the Lino, killed us at a time when we were at our least able, but as for the Ref I thought he had a good game, compared to some of the clowns we've had I'd go as far as to say a very good game, but he should have gone with his own eyes and instinct for the foul by Morgan.

Still we just need to keep positive and move on.

kempo
02-01-2014, 05:01 PM
Im far from clear why illness couldnt be a contributing factor to our second half display.Clearly some players looked abnormally tired in the second half..Milsom and Vuckic to but two.

I dont know how many players were ill and who they were but i would say that early fatigue would be absolutely typical of a post viral illness in a sportsman.

A week off will do us good now and hopefully come back with all cylinders firing.