PDA

View Full Version : any war corespondants on.

happytim
01-01-2014, 11:43 PM
was watching a couple of proggrames the other night about the vietnam war.

how the fek did the usa lose ffs.

and why was ho chih min wanting indipendance and who from.

tartanscone1314
01-01-2014, 11:47 PM
Ive served my time in the Army , Navy and RAF at one time or another so i feel i`m qualified to answer your question directly .

What was the question again ?

tartanscone1314
01-01-2014, 11:54 PM
Ho Chi Minh wanted independance fae the French i think , but the Chinese red army and the koreans got involved , at the time America was against Communism so they invaded Vietnam and Cuba .

Thats the way i see it .

happytim
02-01-2014, 12:00 AM
i didnt understand the politics, i assume when one wants indipendance they want to go it alone like what scotland do, so basically cut thier ties with another country, with vietnam both north and south were already indipendant of each other anyway. and ho chi min wanted to unite the north and south.

the programme had some excellent footage of tank battles, you should watch it scone.

tartanscone1314
02-01-2014, 12:03 AM
Ardennes Forest was the biggest tank battle , they had Germans dressed like me to confuse us .

I get confused very easily

tartanscone1314
02-01-2014, 12:08 AM
Tae be honest Reve i only like reading aboot Wars we were involved in .

Zulu Wars and all that .

Saying that i was reading aboot the Battle Of The Little Big Horn , I was surprised how nuts Custer was , he lost nearly 300 men against a force of only 1,000 .

For a cavalry regiment with at the time modern weapons thats no very good .

The Indians lead him a merry chase .

Macaroni_Pie
02-01-2014, 12:11 AM
Yes, I'm Kate Adie.

The US of A lost the war in Vietnam because they had no specific objectives. Realistically, what difference to the USA did the political governance of an insignificant (from their perspective) country on the other side of the world make?

The Vietnamese, on the other hand, were fighting to prevent a bunch of c***ts from the other side of the world invading their country & telling them how they should live.

eastcoastscot
02-01-2014, 12:19 AM
The cowardly French were defeated inside a week

Then the Americans claimed that communism was taking over South east Asia and stepped in. The Russians couldn't come out fight on the side of the North Vietnamese so the sleekit baturts armed the Chinese who in turn gave arms to the Vietcong.

The American troops were mostly junkies and were doped out of their skulls most of the time they were there so it was easy for the disciplined Vietcong forces with the aid of there underground labyrinths to humiliate the whank troops

tartanscone1314
02-01-2014, 12:27 AM
" The Russians couldn't come out fight on the side of the North Vietnamese so the sleekit baturts armed the Chinese who in turn gave arms to the Vietcong."

Nae Shyte Sherlock , The Americans armed every country that fought against Russia or China , the biggest example was the Russian invasion of Afghanistan in the early 80s , and we are still suffering .

The Americans and British armed Iraq against Iran and made Iraq into the 4th greatest equiped Army in the World .

eastcoastscot
02-01-2014, 12:30 AM
[quote="tartanscone1314"

Nae Shyte Sherlock , The Americans armed every country that fought against Russia or China , the biggest example was the Russian invasion of Afghanistan in the early 80s , and we are still suffering .

The Americans and British armed Iraq against Iran and made Iraq into the 4th greatest equiped Army in the World .[/quote]

we never armed any c@nt that didn't deserve it

Macaroni_Pie
02-01-2014, 12:31 AM
It's funny you use the term "Vietcong" - this was a term entirely made up by the USA to make them sound more sinister.

You're totally correct describing the US troops as doped up - a good proportion were felons who were drafted as an alternative to being incarcerated. The remainder were people who were too poor to get out of the draft or a very small percentage who blindly bought into the fear of Communism being pedalled by the US Government's PR machine

eastcoastscot
02-01-2014, 12:33 AM
[quote="Macaroni_Pie" - this was a term entirely made up by the USA to make them sound more sinister.

You're totally correct describing the US troops as doped up - a good proportion were felons who were drafted as an alternative to being incarcerated. The remainder were people who were too poor to get out of the draft or a very small percentage who blindly bought into the fear of Communism being pedalled by the US Government's PR machine[/quote]

maybe so but all the news bulletins I saw referred to them as Vietcong

tartanscone1314
02-01-2014, 12:38 AM

Even Iraq ...after what happened , we created the monster :?

eastcoastscot
02-01-2014, 12:40 AM

Even Iraq ...after what happened , we created the monster :?[/quote]

the Iranians were worse at the time and it was the lesser of two evils

Macaroni_Pie
02-01-2014, 12:42 AM
@ Eastcoast: I don't dispute that. It remains the case that it's still the product of propaganda. It helps to dehumanise the "enemy" when you can regard them as this sinisterlyd force rather than addressing the fact that in many cases, the people the USA were fighting against were women & children simply trying to protect there homes & families

eastcoastscot
02-01-2014, 12:44 AM
Viet Cong (VC), in full Viet Nam Cong San, the guerrilla force that, with the support of the North Vietnamese Army, fought against South Vietnam (late 1950s–1975) and the United States (early 1960s–1973). The is said to have first been used by South Vietnamese Pres. Ngo Dinh Diem to belittle the rebels.

Macaroni_Pie
02-01-2014, 01:00 AM
Viet Cong (VC), in full Viet Nam Cong San, the guerrilla force that, with the support of the North Vietnamese Army, fought against South Vietnam (late 1950s–1975) and the United States (early 1960s–1973). The is said to have first been used by South Vietnamese Pres. Ngo Dinh Diem to belittle the rebels.

Ok, it's maybe not such a relevant point we're discussing here, especially as I was essentially agreeing with your point in the first instance. I had the impression that it was a made up by the US. Your post suggests it was made up by the US allies in S. Vietnam. Either way, it remains pertinent that it was not how they referred to themselves and that it was a pejorative term invented by the opponents of N.Vietnam

AguyIknow
02-01-2014, 05:27 PM
Ardennes Forest was the biggest tank battle , they had Germans dressed like me to confuse us .

I get confused very easily

You sure about that? I thought Kursk (turning point on the russian front) was the biggest tank battle.

BertrandRussell
02-01-2014, 05:29 PM
Was the biggest tank battle not at Stalingrad?

AguyIknow
02-01-2014, 05:38 PM
Anymore for anymore :D

JimmyHaze
02-01-2014, 06:02 PM
watched the Act of Killing last night, well worth a watch

Mook1
03-01-2014, 11:09 AM
How many Vietnam Vets does it take to change a lightbulb?

You don't know, you weren't there man :D

Red_Zeppelin
03-01-2014, 11:12 AM

is that supposed tae be funny or something?

Mook1
03-01-2014, 11:14 AM

is that supposed tae be funny or something?[/quote]

Humour is subjective.

If you dinnae like it, feel free to take yer face for a shyte :D

Godric
03-01-2014, 09:24 PM
Was the biggest tank battle not at Stalingrad?

no it was Kursk when the Germans launched operation zitadelle (Citadel) Germans 3,000 tanks to the Soviet unions 5,000 tanks

Godric
03-01-2014, 09:32 PM
was watching a couple of proggrames the other night about the vietnam war.

how the fek did the usa lose ffs.

and why was ho chih min wanting indipendance and who from.

America lost the war because they couldn't be everywhere at once ... they won the battles but they lost the battle at home and Americans turned against their soldiers and many dodged the draft by fleeing to Canada and Mexico ...in essence they could take hill 314 with loads of casualties then 2 weeks later they had to retake the hill because they evacuated the hill after taking it thus having a demoralising effect on the troops and their was the fact that Vietnam's borders were porus as the Vietcong had bases in Laos and Cambodia and the Americans couldn't target these bases plus the Vietcong received steady supplies in latest tech from the soviet union