PDA

View Full Version : We lost twice because we went down to 10 men

MarkThomas
02-01-2014, 11:26 AM
Some will say that this is far too simplistic a view but I beg to differ.

Both Port Vale and Coventry passed us to death after we went down to 10 men. With 11 on the field we at the very least had reasonable prospects of taking some points from both games.

We have suffered badly from two decisions. For a penalty to be given against us for a trip outside the D is astonishing, an appalling decision. But that is outside our control.

The trip by the usually magnificent Morgan, and our midfield failure to prevent the clever through ball to the Coventry striker, these are matters within our control. Our failure to defend the corner for their second goal - within our control. It's time to concentrate on the things within the game that we can try and control - like the players' own decision making. Don't trip the striker, trust your keeper to save or the striker to miss.

Pope's antics feigning injury at Vale were a disgrace. But Davis should not have put his foot in - down to 10 men becaus

nys
02-01-2014, 12:01 PM
I totally agree. We were comfortable against both sides with 11 men. Although we had to get to grips with Vale early on.

Another thing that hasn't helped is Evans substitutions. Vuckic should have come off earlier in both matches. Against Vale, he waited until after Davis was sent off to change the CM, when both were awful. Against Coventry, he brought off a "tired" Milsom for an unfit O'Connor who was chasing shadows. I feel sorry for Tidser who, through no fault of his own, appears to be back at the bottom of the pecking order.

Deepmidwinter
02-01-2014, 01:21 PM
Can't argue with that, although I'm sure that the usual apologist posters will be back with the argument that we only get players booked and sent off because we play with passion.

caytonmiller
02-01-2014, 04:27 PM
in my honest opinion...
we only get players booked and sent off because we play with passion.

hotun
02-01-2014, 05:12 PM
We lost yesterday because we did not take our chances like nearly every other time we lose,this problem has been around all season,SE knows this and has tried to put it right with different players,combinations and other things and it has worked to a certain extent with the improvement in Agard and the signing of Dicko for example,but our main problem is we have players who run through brick walls for the team but do not score enough goals.Our chance taking is about 1 in 6 or 8 if we could only push that up to 2 it would make the difference.Nothing wrong with our approach work its that mysterious thing called finishing that most managers and players are searching for.One thing an old manager I played for allways said to me was "never be afraid to miss".

redandgreen
02-01-2014, 06:12 PM
We don't seem to have a hope of saving anything when we lose a man, unlike in Ronnie's day the team got tougher, now the team surrenders!
Compare how Oldham played when they went down a man: they scored twice, or Carlisle who shut up shop and ground out a draw.

millertop
02-01-2014, 06:20 PM
And the 2nd goal was offside, I said during the game that the linesman on west stand side was a bit slow, the other one was fine

merry_miller
02-01-2014, 07:08 PM
We lost because we missed our penalty. At 2-2 we've got a point at the final whistle.

Also we didn't take our chances.

CAMiller
02-01-2014, 07:23 PM
And the 2nd goal was offside, I said during the game that the linesman on west stand side was a bit slow, the other one was fine

This one has me confused - we had a player and GK on the line so how could anyone be offside? Added to that it looks like it was Arnason who scored so maybe he was he offside?

mos59
02-01-2014, 07:42 PM
Good post Mark.

Brin
02-01-2014, 08:18 PM
[quote="MarkThomas"]Some will say that this is far too simplistic a view but I beg to differ.

Both Port Vale and Coventry passed us to death after we went down to 10 men. With 11 on the field we at the very least had reasonable prospects of taking some points from both games.

We have suffered badly from two decisions. For a penalty to be given against us for a trip outside the D is astonishing, an appalling decision. But that is outside our control.

The trip by the usually magnificent Morgan, and our midfield failure to prevent the clever through ball to the Coventry striker, these are matters within our control. Our failure to defend the corner for their second goal - within our control. It's time to concentrate on the things within the game that we can try and control - like the players' own decision making. Don't trip the striker, trust your keeper to save or the striker to miss.

Pope's antics feigning injury at Vale were a disgrace. But Davis should

millertop
02-01-2014, 08:58 PM

This one has me confused - we had a player and GK on the line so how could anyone be offside? Added to that it looks like it was Arnason who scored so maybe he was he offside?[/quote]

Oops XD that's was the port vale game, just ignore me, think I need to get some sleep

Muchthemillersson
02-01-2014, 10:59 PM
I'm not sure whether Morgan did it deliberately or whether or it was an accidental clash between two players running at full tilt. The law makes no difference between a deliberate trip and accidental trip, a trip is trip so it is a foul. I only make the point because if it was deliberate it is one of the most stupid things a defender can do because if the goalkeeper does his job right he has a 50 50 chance of making a block.

The thing that worries me most is the sheer number of times we get get caught out by a quick goal through the middle when a set play breaks down. We know why that is, it's because none of our central defenders has any pace but I would have thought that it's quite an easy one to cut out either by keeping a quick player back on the half way line or have a covering defender positioned 10 yards behind their forward and his marker. It happens so often we ought to do something to cut it out.

axholme_miller
03-01-2014, 02:18 PM
I think that it's a natural reaction from a defender when beaten on a one on one. Trip the player, foul the player but stop him whatever you do. Bad decision from Morgan as it will cost us his services in the forthcoming games, but probably an understandable one.

Our defence lacks pace in the central area and if we are to progress that might be an area to strengthen.

We all know that we are in urgent need of two strikers, no argument at all from anyone there I think.

Worrying that SE seems to farm players out quickly with no obvious immediate replacement lined up. Worrall gone to a rival in our league makes no sense at all.

There have been times recently when we have been unable to put five players on the bench, yet there we are sending good players away? Puzzling in the extreme.

Why not keep Nardiello and Worrall until replacements are signed. I realise that this can't be done now, but I do question SE's judgement at times.

niamh999
03-01-2014, 02:27 PM
Here's another slant on it we lost because our penalty taker is currently at bury scoring for them ?