PDA

View Full Version : Big well done to Steve Evans

kempo
02-01-2014, 12:34 PM
Promotion last year and half way this season, we are sitting proudly in a play off spot.

Recent dip due to injuries,illness and bad luck should not trouble us too much.

A rest will do us good and hopefully give us time to get a Dicko in.

Evans gives a fair appraisal after games and does not blame officials for our defeats and usually correctly blames our poor conversion rate of chances.

How people can question his tactics and football knowledge is remarkable considering his success in the game.

Contine the great work Steve and with a bit of luck we will be in the Championship next year...what a journey!...absolutely fantastic!

frogmiller
02-01-2014, 01:05 PM
ON your fith line there Kempo you ask about questioning his tactics.

Can you tell me how so many teams seem to get a pasting in the first half at NYS only to come out in the second half and beat us. Even lower league teams do it.

Would it be a good idea for him to sit in the stand for a couple of second halves and figure out why this is and when is the best time to make substitutions to combat this regular accurence?

tivolliman
02-01-2014, 01:27 PM
Well Kempo I have always disliked the man but I admit he has done a great job for us in his first 18 or so months.
Note of caution-- There are very few TS's about
and he has guardian angel there.

I have to agree with Froggy about his apparent
inability to sort out the tactics.
Couple more points - he does have his favourites(Tubbs comes to mind) and he does need to be put on man-management course (how many fall-outs has he had most of them terminal) Defense still needs sorting bigstyle
and has done almost the whole of his tenure.

We could had got much worse (as we well know)

Onward and upward and never let the barstewards
grind you down

northy69
02-01-2014, 02:54 PM
ON your fith line there Kempo you ask about questioning his tactics.

Can you tell me how so many teams seem to get a pasting in the first half at NYS only to come out in the second half and beat us. Even lower league teams do it.

Would it be a good idea for him to sit in the stand for a couple of second halves and figure out why this is and when is the best time to make substitutions to combat this regular accurence?

Is this more to do with his half time talk than to do with his tic tacs?

caytonmiller
02-01-2014, 04:07 PM
ive seen a few comments on evans and his favorites...
tbh he playes the best we have in that position arni/pringle/revell springs to mind...
people go on about his pursuit of tubbs! the last time evans worked with tubbs he was scoring for fun so you cant blame him for playing the long game to get him...
what if alf came back and got 2 or 3 goals in a season? is that the fans fault for chasing/wanting him?
10th or above and stevie done a great job.. plus were only 2 players away from a cracking league 1 team...

Brin
02-01-2014, 04:23 PM
Thing is we won't go down this season so job accomplished for part 2 of the Chairmans 5 year plan!

kempo
02-01-2014, 04:33 PM
Agree with all that cayton.

we can put things under the microscope and say he should have done this,that or the other but we have had a promotion and are now 6th in L1...thats not talk...its evidence that he is doing a fantastic job.

I agree froggy re what is happening at home but he had the answer in Dicko and its just unfortunate that he has gone back.

if we take our chances better then the problem is solved..we will be 3 or 4 up at half time!

Evans gets criticised such as he should have played XYZ or mardy but we the fans are not armed with fitness info,attitude info,training info and so on.

He has got this team playing together and playing great football and deserves praise.We have to accept the ups and downs of football...I only go to home games but am enjoying the football,look forward to every game and every Saturday I know we can win.

TS and SE partnership is a dream team for the club and us the fans, lets enjoy it because nothing lasts forever.

Fans have every right to

millyTHEmiller
02-01-2014, 04:33 PM
agree with kempo. got to take our hats off to evans,hes passionate,loves the club and im pretty certain will end up a millers legend

TOM_RUFC
02-01-2014, 06:36 PM
Congratulations on a great first half to the season Steve!

Just put my Evo signed shirt up today. To be burnt in the back garden if he goes to Wednesday

http://i39.tinypic.com/1zqssjd.jpg

gorky
02-01-2014, 07:54 PM
I think it's obvious from the coming and going of Dicko that all we need is a goalscorer. If Dicko plays against Coventry, we're three nil up at half time. The away form is different because we defend more, we hit on the break and the onus is not on us to dominate the game. This is why Revell is so effective away from home but less so at NYS. I wouldn't question Evans' tactics too much.

I also feel we've had some disastrous luck at home. Wolves and Coventry - both games turned by inexplicable penalty decisions that 999 times out of 1000 would never have been awarded by a competent referee/assistant referee. Colchester - We battered them then they go and scored in the 95th minute of four added minutes.

If Evans can sign someone with the pace and power of Dicko we will give it a right go for promotion. That's all we are lacking. Oh, and cover for Arnason and Morgan at the back because Mills and Davis have got too many mistakes in them.

Well done Stevie, a fantastic 2013!

millertop
02-01-2014, 07:57 PM

Just put my Evo signed shirt up today. To be burnt in the back garden if he goes to Wednesday

Like, especially the burn bit XD

audimiller
02-01-2014, 08:01 PM

That shirt looks huge ;-) UTM

Brin
02-01-2014, 08:03 PM
Is that shirt double the size cos that looks massive...looks like you could fit two Gaffer's in it...then again...:P

As for the Gaffer's achievement...Stupendous!

Into his second full season and we come through the Xmas fixtures in a play off spot...would you dare have dreamed that at the start of this season? Fast forward and the games where we have lost stupid points or had points robbed off us through poor officiating decisions and we really could be in dream land at the mo...

Onwards and upwards as they say...

TOM_RUFC
02-01-2014, 08:40 PM
Haha it's only a large, the gaffer wouldn't have a prayer of getting in that!

ExeterMiller
02-01-2014, 09:11 PM
Overall I think SE has done what has been asked, no more no less.

He's been blessed with a very generous budget, and thus far does not look like emulating the amazing success of Ronnie Moore, who was working under more stringent circumstances.

I like the way SE has evaluated his own strengths & weaknesses and responded to some of them. He has also put himself in the community admirably.

What is utterly perplexing is, he is developing a horrible trend of poor home records. This, for any team is commercial suicide, winning all our matches away does not compensate for that.

I think 1 thing we can all agree is this. Yes before the season we'd had taken 6th, in fact even 16th. Our season will hinge on the month of January, more off it than on. If the board really want us in the promised land are they going to show us this - this month, because if they don't they seriously risk the wheels coming off in the summer. After spending so much time in the play offs, it would feel like a f

Amanda_Hugg_n_Kiss
02-01-2014, 09:56 PM
What kempo said.

UTM!

onlynorfolkmiller
02-01-2014, 10:16 PM
Haha it's only a large, the gaffer wouldn't have a prayer of getting in that!

Have you got really small doors?