PDA

View Full Version : Diving

dantpen
03-01-2014, 09:36 AM
Blatter is talking out of his arse again.

I do agree that something needs to be done to stop it and i think that Derm Gallagher's solution within that article is more realistic.

Would Pope have ended up with a 3 match ban following that guidance?
I know it wasn't a dive, but it was clearly play acting. - view external link (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25586007)

S8_Miller
03-01-2014, 10:02 AM
Rule changes a futile until you get referees that are not inclined to be fooled by play acting and diving. Unfortunately, as we have witnessed far too often this season, good referees are in very short supply.

Miller67
03-01-2014, 10:14 AM
Rule changes a futile until you get referees that are not inclined to be fooled by play acting and diving. Unfortunately, as we have witnessed far too often this season, good referees are in very short supply.

There's far too much reliance on referees, they only get one chance to get it right as it stands, even the best get it wrong ask Howard ;D

It's hard to believe that retrospective punishment hasn't been introduced before now with all the cameras at games, even down in lower leagues.

I bet the vast majority of cheating would disappear overnight if player fines and bans were dished out after games.

S8_Miller
03-01-2014, 10:19 AM

There's far too much reliance on referees, they only get one chance to get it right as it stands, even the best get it wrong ask Howard ;D

It's hard to believe that retrospective punishment hasn't been introduced before now with all the cameras at games, even down in lower leagues.

I bet the vast majority of cheating would disappear overnight if player fines and bans were dished out after games.[/quote]

Trouble is, by giving out retrospective punishments the FA are admitting that the referee got it wrong during the game thus opening up a whole other can of worms.

millertop
03-01-2014, 10:29 AM
Something needs doing about diving, it's becoming a joke.

Soft rules don't help either, can't go in for a tackle without the Ref blowing up for slightest touch.

Like watching ballet sometimes :/

one_a_day
03-01-2014, 10:42 AM

I bet the vast majority of cheating would disappear overnight if player fines and bans were dished out after games.[/quote]

Trouble is, by giving out retrospective punishments the FA are admitting that the referee got it wrong during the game thus opening up a whole other can of worms.[/quote]

Referees do get things wrong but they are not helped by p

millertop
03-01-2014, 10:45 AM
Agree Refs get some things wrong, only human and can't see everything but some seem to go blind when it's right in front of them

harpo88
03-01-2014, 12:33 PM
For me, referees need to start giving fouls when no-one falls over - tugs on the shirt, obstruction etc. I think some players feel they need to 'go down' (exactly the same as a dive to me) because they think the ref won't give them a free kick if they don't*.

Pundits and commentators really are as bad as the players who do it, by talking about having 'a right to go down there' - if the player's impeded, it's a foul. If there's contact but he's not impeded, it's no foul. If they fall over when they're not forced to, that's a dive. I also think it can be a foul and a dive at the same time.

Can't see anything changing though, players will still feign injury given half a chance.

*It's questionable who started that process off, because if refs think players will dive after any sort of contact, and then an honest player stays on his feet, the ref will think there's no foul.