PDA

View Full Version : the robinson effect

jordan12rhodes
04-01-2014, 03:39 PM
must keep his place from now on, we looked a lot more composed at the back with him there, and that was against world class opposition..

needle
04-01-2014, 04:14 PM
must keep his place from now on, we looked a lot more composed at the back with him there, and that was against world class opposition..
So there is some sense in there !

seventwo
04-01-2014, 07:00 PM
World class opposition?

Only one of their team today is a regular in the first team ffs. XD

backofthenet
04-01-2014, 07:57 PM
That was a solid, c0ck up free defensive performance against a very attacking outfit.

Robinson's leadership and experience was central to that IMO!

seventwo
04-01-2014, 08:10 PM
That was a solid, c0ck up free defensive performance against a very attacking outfit.

There is no denying that but they weren't world class.

Wacked1212
04-01-2014, 08:12 PM
World class opposition?

Only one of their team today is a regular in the first team ffs. XD

FFS:s

DanRrr
04-01-2014, 08:16 PM
All I'll add to this thread, is that Robbo is by far the best keeper we have and I'm really phucking glad to see him back!

MillHillRover
04-01-2014, 08:25 PM

Personally I thought Robbo was the same old Robbo flapped badly at 3 crosses and was playing basketball having just parried a shot ending up bouncing the ball between his legs when he should have just pouched it easily, Don't get me wrong I've always liked Robbo and have stuck up for him many a time in the past when the likes of saxo have pilloried him (and now he his a goalkeeping god apparently) but lets call a spade a spade when Kean & now Eastwood seem to have paid the price for their mistakes surely it's only a matter of time before Robbo costs us, At the end of the day it's a very unforgiving position to play where any mistake usually leads to a goal whereas outfield players get away with it more often than not :(

champs95
04-01-2014, 08:40 PM

Personally I thought Robbo was the same old Robbo flapped badly at 3 crosses and was playing basketball having just parried a shot ending up bouncing the ball between his legs when he should have just pouched it easily, Don't get me wrong I've always liked Robbo and have stuck up for him many a time in the past when the likes of saxo have pilloried him (and now he his a goalkeeping god apparently) but lets call a spade a spade when Kean & now Eastwood seem to have paid the price for their mistakes surely it's only a matter of time before Robbo costs us, At the end of the day it's a very unforgiving position to play where any mistake usually leads to a goal whereas outfield players get away with it more often than not :([/quote]

Ag

seventwo
04-01-2014, 08:48 PM
Personally I thought Robbo was the same old Robbo flapped badly at 3 crosses and was playing basketball having just parried a shot ending up bouncing the ball between his legs when he should have just pouched it easily, Don't get me wrong I've always liked Robbo and have stuck up for him many a time in the past when the likes of saxo have pilloried him (and now he his a goalkeeping god apparently) but lets call a spade a spade when Kean & now Eastwood seem to have paid the price for their mistakes surely it's only a matter of time before Robbo costs us, At the end of the day it's a very unforgiving position to play where any mistake usually leads to a goal whereas outfield players get away with it more often than not :(

Yep.

If we don't have a better keeper than Robbo we need to sell the current crop and but new ones.

Thanks for posting some sense Milly.
Some regulars on this board prove that we have our own dingles too. :b

Davhor
04-01-2014, 08:51 PM

Personally I thought Robbo was the same old Robbo flapped badly at 3 crosses and was playing basketball having just parried a shot ending up bouncing the ball between his legs when he should have just pouched it easily, Don't get me wrong I've always liked Robbo and have stuck up for him many a time in the past when the likes of saxo have pilloried him (and now he his a goalkeeping god apparently) but lets call a spade a spade when Kean & now Eastwood seem to have paid the price for their mistakes surely it's only a matter of time before Robbo costs us, At the end of the day it's a very unforgiving position to play where any mistake usually leads to a goal whereas outfield players get a

backofthenet
04-01-2014, 08:53 PM
I don't disagree about his flapping. I love the time the commentator mentioned that he would have been happy to feel the ball against his backside (so he knew it hadn't crossed the line).

A few beers made that into some funny innuendo.

Anyway, that aside, it is his commanding of the defense that puts him above the other two IMO.

AucklandRover
04-01-2014, 08:56 PM

Personally I thought Robbo was the same old Robbo flapped badly at 3 crosses and was playing basketball having just parried a shot ending up bouncing the ball between his legs when he should have just pouched it easily, Don't get me wrong I've always liked Robbo and have stuck up for him many a time in the past when the likes of saxo have pilloried him (and now he his a goalkeeping god apparently) but lets call a spade a spade when Kean & now Eastwood seem to have paid the price for their mistakes surely it's only a matter of time before Robbo costs us, At the end of the day it's a very unforgiving position to play where any mistake usually leads to a goal whereas outfield players get away with it more often than not :([/quote]

MH

MillHillRover
04-01-2014, 09:02 PM
MHR - one thing I noticed about him before is that he sometimes comes a yard too far for crosses, which leaves him under them. This means the incoming forward has the physical advantage. The timing has to be such that the keeper still has forward momentum when he jumps. There was at least one example of this today.
On the other hand, he does look very confident in other respects. We shouldn't forget, anyway, that keepers' mistakes do get magnified. Can we really afford a keeper who is SIGNIFICANTLY better than Robinson, Kean and Eastwood?

Can't argue with any of that Aucks ;) :)

seventwo
04-01-2014, 09:11 PM
Such a massive squad and we cant afford one decent keeper?

Howie5o
04-01-2014, 09:24 PM
Robbo did ok ..but ..i dunno .. as has been metioned ..hardly the future ..between Kean n Eastwood for me .great servant Robbo .people on here keep saying we ve a Young and up coming team ..well ..lets start with the keeper ...

Despair
04-01-2014, 09:35 PM
I am of the opinion that despite the fact that Robbo is quite obviously not the future, at this point in time the importance of his 'commanding influence' (as recognised by virtually all) is and could be a major factor in the run in of this season.
There is no doubt that this presence at Goalkeeper and/or central defence plus midfield 'engine room' is paramount to any well drilled squad.
It is the engine room 'void' that has been our demise over the last 2+ seasons that has been at the core of our decline IMHO :/

Stan_van_nel
04-01-2014, 09:47 PM
Surely you've to give a bit of slack (in this match) what with him not playing a game for yonks.

MillHillRover
04-01-2014, 11:29 PM
Surely you've to give a bit of slack (in this match) what with him not playing a game for yonks.

Shut the feck up stinky

Only jokin pal, just thought I'd get in there before Ghosty did ;)

XD XD XD XD XD

Stan_van_nel
04-01-2014, 11:34 PM
I've developed a bit of a complex actually MillHill.

I've been showering three times a day since this charade started. :D

seventwo
04-01-2014, 11:37 PM

Can I scrub yer back?

haunted
04-01-2014, 11:40 PM

Shut the feck up stinky

Only jokin pal, just thought I'd get in there before Ghosty did ;)

XD XD XD XD XD[/quote]Your choice of pals are sublime.
You are made for each other..
Let me know when you meet your good mate stinky..

joinerpat
04-01-2014, 11:43 PM
I am of the opinion that despite the fact that Robbo is quite obviously not the future, at this point in time the importance of his 'commanding influence' (as recognised by virtually all) is and could be a major factor in the run in of this season.
There is no doubt that this presence at Goalkeeper and/or central defence plus midfield 'engine room' is paramount to any well drilled squad.
It is the engine room 'void' that has been our demise over the last 2+ seasons that has been at the core of our decline IMHO :/

Despair, you are absolutely spot on, imo his experience controling the defence is a big plus.

He has just returned after 12months out, so will need first team games to get his form back on track, I think at 34 he still has a lot to offer our young squad.

Young players need Legends behind them and who better than Robbo with over 40 international caps.

Stan_van_nel
04-01-2014, 11:44 PM

Can I scrub yer back?[/quote]

You can but I'll have my chastity belt on just in case Seventwo.

I've heard all about you Rovers lads.

haunted
04-01-2014, 11:45 PM

Can I scrub yer back?[/quote]He wont let you..
If you were to say can i finger your @ss you may have a very good chance..

jordan12rhodes
05-01-2014, 01:57 AM
robinson ain`t by any means a perfect choice, but he`s definatly our best one imo..

robinrover
05-01-2014, 08:46 AM
I felt once he sorted his kicking out we were very comfortable with him in the sticks and our back four very strong it is paramount we have a commanding figure like him if we are to mount a play off push don't get me wrong he isn't a great keeper but until the young ones mature he's the best we have.

needle
05-01-2014, 08:59 AM
Even after such a long lay off and still carrying a bit of timber , which he will quickly shed . He was head and shoulders above the other two options . For me he should be automatic 1st choice !

Rvblue
05-01-2014, 09:02 AM
Pat spot on

One great save from Silva yesterday and his experience helping a young defence along with Dann could be very useful for second half of the season. Even more so if Dann is sold and O'Connell comes back from Rochdale.

Kean and Eastwood have a lot to learn yet from what I've seen.

Yes he needs to get fitter but that will come with time.

MillHillRover
05-01-2014, 09:32 AM
Even after such a long lay off and still carrying a bit of timber , which he will quickly shed . He was head and shoulders above the other two options . For me he should be automatic 1st choice !

Can't agree with the 1st part of your post needs, Robbo has been carrying "excess timber" for a few years now and I think he's probably as fit as he's ever gonna be for a bloke his age having said that if he carries on pulling off saves like he did from Silva yesterday then he'll be plenty fit enough and certainly as you say 1st choice

accyrover
07-01-2014, 04:07 PM
I thought Robbo looked good considering how long he's been out. Coming into the 2nd half of the season with all still to play for in the playoff chasing pack we need real leaders who will stand up and be counted. Think we all agree Robbo fits the bill, not to mention that for now he is still the best keeper at the club hands down.

What I would suggest though is sending Kean out on loan. Keepings an experience game, and though he has undeniably dropped a few clangers I think he could still come good with enough game time under his belt.

rigger
07-01-2014, 10:30 PM
wasn't that something that happened to tennis players in the 70's