PDA

View Full Version : 4-2-3-1 - simply doesn't work!!

rjc_1988
04-01-2014, 07:04 PM
If we needed any further confirmation that this predictable and rigid formation simply doesn't work for us then we got it in spades at Hamilton in the first half. We were simply awful in that period and despite having 5 players in midfield we were chasing shadows and could have been several goals down in that spell.

The back four was all over the place for most of the game and the exclusion of Holt was mystifying. Possible explanations include injury, illness and some rumoured interest from St Johnstone but if he was fit enough for the bench then why was he unable to start. A very poor decision in my view and we once again saw a good central defender in Higgins being played out of position. Not quite sure what exactly was wrong with the Durnan/Higgins partnership in central defence but it seems to have been dispensed with and we now find Holt dropped into the bargain!!!!

If the Manager cant see that this formation doesn't work then we may find ourselves in trouble. The isolation of o

ALBERTZ_11
04-01-2014, 07:18 PM
Was Higgins back as captain today?

deek5trans
04-01-2014, 07:21 PM
McIntyres motto: if it aint broke change it.

Dobmeister
04-01-2014, 08:30 PM
Spot on RJC. A manager who seems determined to get the minimum out of a decent group of players. A real risk of us going down.:blue:

gogs
04-01-2014, 08:30 PM
McIntyres motto: if it aint broke change it.

But it is broke and has been since day one and it's only McIntyre and his elfs that can't see it

deek5trans
05-01-2014, 09:18 AM
It certainly is now but wasn't broke when he took over ;D

He took over the perfect team. Decent complete squad and newly promoted on a high. A continuation and a couple of extra ''decent'' signings was all that was needed but right from day one he decided things had to change with the formation and dropping key players.

Cresswell
05-01-2014, 03:02 PM
I am never quite sure what formation we adopt. Is it 4-2-3-1; or 4-5-1; or 4-4-1-1; or whatever? However, I don't think the problem lies with the formation but with the players occupying the "2-3", the "5" or the "4-1" positions. With the exceptions of Paton and Russell (when they play to their potential), I don't think the others are good enough at this level. I am particularly disappointed in Dzierzawski, who came to us with such promise, but I have yet to see him make an impact in any game in which he has played. The same may be said about McShane, leaving me mystified as to why Queens have seen fit to extend his contract.

As for Saturday's game, why did McIntyre choose to drop Holt in order to accommodate Dowie? Certainly in the first half, our defence was nothing short of a shambles with Chris Higgins (who, in fairness to him, was being played in an unfamiliar role) caught out of position time and time again. I don't regard Dowie and Durnan any better a pairing than Higgins and D

rjc_1988
05-01-2014, 03:28 PM
To drop Kevin holt on the basis of the Cowdenbeath game was a really poor decision. There was a 50 mph wind and I certainly don't remember holt being any poorer than most of his colleagues.

He couldn't have played that badly - Cowdenbeath only created two half chances and yes he lunged in stupidly but that apart he was broadly ok in farcical conditions.

Holt is as close to an automatic pick that we have and if our manager genuinely thinks that Higgins is a better option at left back then that sums it up for me!

I agree with cresswell regarding Kevin - he has been really poor and as I have said before Slattery continues to be overlooked in favour of McShane who is mostly anonymous game after game.

Still think we would do much better with a 4-4-2 with Paton played in a wide position and two up front (one of whom should be Russell).

Dobmeister
05-01-2014, 07:02 PM
[quote="Cresswell" positions. With the exceptions of Paton and Russell (when they play to their potential), I don't think the others are good enough at this level. I am particularly disappointed in Dzierzawski, who came to us with such promise, but I have yet to see him make an impact in any game in which he has played. The same may be said about McShane, leaving me mystified as to why Queens have seen fit to extend his contract.

As for Saturday's game, why did McIntyre choose to drop Holt in order to accommodate Dowie? Certainly in the first half, our defence was nothing short of a shambles with Chris Higgins (who, in fairness to him, was being played in an unfamiliar role) caught out of position time and time again. I don't regard Dowie and

Northfield53
05-01-2014, 07:57 PM
We started with the 4-2-3-1 in the 1st half lucky not to be more behind.
2nd half we went 4-4-2 played much better does that not tell its own story.
Surely McIntyre has to see that

fatfan
05-01-2014, 09:35 PM
Why bring dowie into the squad in the first place. We hadn't been bad at the back with Higgins and durnan in the centre and holt has shown we have one of the best left backs in the league, but yet Higgins is initially dropped to allow dowie back in and now holt has to step aside. I said earlier in the season we had to give the manager a chance, and in my opinion he started to get near his stronger side on the pitch, however he has started to revert to his earlier selections. Results don't lie and I struggle to remember a game we have won with the same defence as yesterday.
A blind man can see Higgins is never a left back, but is a good solid centre half so how mr McIntyre sees this back four as adequate is unbelievable.
I for one have finally lost patience with the manager. He has made one blunder to many now, with the signing of Antell, the changes in formation, the money spent on positions that were not required and failure to sign players for positions that cover is required. H

Auld_Chippy
05-01-2014, 10:50 PM
We are crying out for someone in the mould of Hamilton's Antione Curier, a front player with physical presence and ability who is not easily brushed off the ball unlike our lightweight forwards, and who can score goals and set up teammates. Playing as part of a front two in a 4 4 2 formation of course.
TinkerMc just couldn't resist the temptation to alter the line-up of a winning team although to be fair we are not privy to the situation behind the scenes. Holt's performance at Cowdenbeath in my view was not bad enough for him to be dropped yesterday but if I recall he did take a knock so was maybe not 100% fit for a starting place. Higgins has played at left back before with varying levels of success but to bring him in if Holt was fully fit, especially after a couple of weeks out of the team, appeared to be another mysterious McIntyre decision.
If the current crop of players are to keep us in this division then the Manager must play them in the formation that they are best at and tha

Northfield53
05-01-2014, 10:55 PM
It will be a struggle to the end of the season.
Queens will not sack McIntrye so we will have to hope that we stay in this league.
Doing things like playing a centre half at left back is a worry and going with one up front just does not work.
Maybe someone will talk some sense into McIntyre before it is to late