PDA

View Full Version : R.I.P EUSEBIO

ZIPPY64
05-01-2014, 10:43 AM
All time legend of World Football dies aged 71.
Did any of our older posters see him play live during the 1966 World Cup ?
If so I'd love to read your memories of that please. - view external link (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25611509)

mikemiller
05-01-2014, 10:55 AM
Yes - he was one of the greats. Athletic, skillful, great finisher. Very rarely fouled anyone - which was unusual in the 1966 World Cup as it was a real cloggers competition.

jolly_roger
05-01-2014, 10:58 AM
Yes I did.

It was the 1966 World Cup game at Old Trafford.

My uncle blagged tickets from somewhere and I went with him and another cousin.

They beat Bulgaria 3-0 and Eusebio scored just before half time. By today's Old Trafford standards the attendamce was relatively low, less than 25 thousand.

Eusebio was very much a touch player and would have been clogged off the park in the 1970s and 1980s but in todays "no tackle" sanitised football he would still do well.

Shows how times have also changed (and not for the better) as Eusebio's nickname was "the black pearl" or sometimes "the black panther". Try getting away with thoses now.

A great player and a true gent in the world of football.

Deepmidwinter
05-01-2014, 11:01 AM
Yes I did.

They beat Bulgaria 3-0 and Eusebio scored just before half time. By today's Old Trafford standards the attendamce was relatively low, less than 25 thousand.

Eusebio was very much a touch player and would have been clogged off the park in the 1970s and 1980s but in todays "no tackle" sanitised football he would still do well.

Shows how times have also changed (and not for the better) as Eusebio's nickname was "the black pearl" or sometimes "the black panther". Try getting away with thoses now.

That's right. A guy was kicked out of the Colin last night for calling someone a pearl

ZIPPY64
05-01-2014, 11:07 AM
Thanks for that JR, great memory for you.
Here's another little piece from Fulham's game with Eusebio's Benfica in February 1972 to commemorate the new Riverside stand opening at Craven Cottage. - view external link (http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/june/06/throwback-thursday)

shiregreenmillers
05-01-2014, 11:14 AM
Yes I did.

That's right. A guy was kicked out of the Colin last night for calling someone a pearl[/quote]XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD

CrackersATM
05-01-2014, 11:48 AM
Genuine football great. Winner of the Ballon d'Or in 1965 and confirmed that with his tremendous performances and goals in the 1966 World Cup. Stayed at Benfica for 15 years finishing top scorer in Portugal 7 times winning the League 11 times, Cup 5 times, the European Cup once and reaching 3 other European finals. I've only seen his 1966 World Cup highlights on TV but he was top quality for a long time.

RIP EUSEBIO

Rothbiz
05-01-2014, 12:47 PM
He visited my school with the whole Portugal squad during Euro '96.

A very surreal experience to see the likes of Figo, Rui Costa, Joao Pinto and Vitor Baia rock up to use the swimming pool and playing fields where I did PE at Aston Comp.

mikemiller
05-01-2014, 03:52 PM
I'd forgotten that Portugal knocked Brazil out of the 1966 World Cup...by the way, I meant that I'd watched most of the Portugal games live on tv - unfortunately I wasn't present at any of the matches(too young). I didn't realise that Eusebio had visited my old school

daveeed
05-01-2014, 05:41 PM
All time legend of World Football dies aged 71.
Did any of our older posters see him play live during the 1966 World Cup ?
If so I'd love to read your memories of that please.

Yes I did Zipp - I was 10 and went with my Dad and Uncle to see Brazil v Portugal at Goodison Pk - So not only did I see Eusebio but saw Pele on the same pitch at the same time, Pele got kicked to pieces and went off - will never forget it

Nardendee
05-01-2014, 11:42 PM
I was very saddened to hear this news.
Growing up he was my hero.
At the time of the 1966 World Cup I was an 8 year old lad and was in awe of him. Pele and Brazil arrived as holders of the previous two world cups in 1958 and 1962 but got unceremoniously dumped out in the initial group stages.
I remember one game - the quarter final against North Korea where Portugal came back from 3-0 down to win 5-3 and Eusebio got four of the goals.

He also scored against us in the semis on a famous July night more than 47 years ago, when he sent Banks the wrong way with a penalty. He ended up as top scorer with 9 goals and left a terrific impression on me growing up.

RIP great man. A true superstar of your time.

sota
06-01-2014, 02:33 AM
Zip, he was in Wickersley Club once, I kid you not. I can't remember exactly when or why, but it's true. At a guess I'd say about 15 years ago.

Edit, just seen Rothbiz's post, could've been during Euro 96.

ZIPPY64
06-01-2014, 04:43 AM
I was flicking through some old Goal magazines last night from 1969.
The first one I picked up had a little piece on Eusebio's wage demands at Benfica.
He signed a new 3 year contract and wanted £100.000 for the 3 years plus 10% of the gate from any exhibition games he played in.
He ended up getting £58.000 or £19.333 per year plus any bonuses.
How much would he be worth in today's valuations.
As a footnote, the article stated that the Portugese Prime Minister at that time was earning £3,600 a year.