PDA

View Full Version : Eusebio - truly a world great

AlexLeicester
05-01-2014, 11:21 AM
Sad to see that Portugal's Eusebio has died at a ridiculously early age of 71.
Far too young and I remember his '66 World Cup heroics with relish. Stayed in the game and was a great 'ambassador' for football in Portugal.

Oldstuff
05-01-2014, 12:59 PM
Quite right. A truly brilliant player. Although I'm a tad too young to remember him in his prime, my dad rated him on a level he holds for few others. What really makes me laugh nowadays is how we need to "protect" the talented players like that United kid from tackles (how dare they!). Watch the kind of abuse that Eusebio, Best, Maradona, Pele, Di Stefano and others used to get. They were the greatest of all-time in a time when the players and the style was far tougher. That is why, for me, Messi and Ronaldo will never compare. They've got it too easy!

crewedaft
06-01-2014, 12:35 PM
[quote="Oldstuff" the talented players like that United kid from tackles (how dare they!). Watch the kind of abuse that Eusebio, Best, Maradona, Pele, Di Stefano and others used to get. They were the greatest of all-time in a time when the players and the style was far tougher. That is why, for me, Messi and Ronaldo will never compare. They've got it too easy![/quote]

Totally agree with this, Eusabio and the rest used to take fearful stick and just got on with it.

Fantastic footage of him applauding Stepney for his save in the EC Final, even though it denied Benfica a win - sportsmanship you just don't see today!