PDA

View Full Version : O/T Do Wednesday fans have a point?

northy69
05-01-2014, 02:30 PM
We're all sick of hearing Washday fans banging on about them being a Premiership club, but do they have a point?

Let's say the Premiership was to break away from the football league and have no promotion or relegation. If you were given the task of picking which 20 clubs were to play in the league who would you pick? Here's mine:

1. Manchester United
2. Liverpool
3. Arsenal
4. Chelsea
5. Everton
6. Tottenham Hotspurs
7. Aston Villa
8. Manchester City
9. Newcastle United
10. Sunderland
11. West Ham United
12. Leeds United
13. Southampton
14. Portsmouth
15. Wolverhampton Wanderers
16. Nottingham Forest
17. Derby County
18. Bolton Wanderers
19. Ipswich
20. Sheffield Wednesday

No place for Palace, Stoke, Norwich, or either of the Welsh clubs.

rolymiller
05-01-2014, 02:43 PM
They do have a point Northy but not much more this season...;-)

CrackersATM
05-01-2014, 03:08 PM
We're all sick of hearing Washday fans banging on about them being a Premiership club, but do they have a point?

Let's say the Premiership was to break away from the football league and have no promotion or relegation. If you were given the task of picking which 20 clubs were to play in the league who would you pick? Here's mine:

1. Manchester United
2. Liverpool
3. Arsenal
4. Chelsea
5. Everton
6. Tottenham Hotspurs
7. Aston Villa
8. Manchester City
9. Newcastle United
10. Sunderland
11. West Ham United
12. Leeds United
13. Southampton
14. Portsmouth
16. Nottingham Forest
17. Derby County
18. Bolton Wanderers
19. Ipswich
20. Sheffield Wednesday

NO, football is all about competitive games and imagine the difference in 3rd bottom playing 4th bottom if there was no relegation. A massive 6 pointer turns into an exhibition match.

rileyev
05-01-2014, 03:13 PM
If it ever happens, its quite simple really. The league should be made up of the 17 teams who survive the final season, plus the 3 promoted from the championship.

Anything else would be grossly unfair. These so called big clubs are currently where they deserve to be, mis management, spending beyond their means etc etc.

If it ever happens how you suggest, it wouldn't be long after before the same thing happened to the championship and little old Rotherham wouldbe left to rot in the lower leagues.

northy69
05-01-2014, 04:34 PM
Or if you were to put conditions on joining the league, biggest clubs with history, e.g. clubs must have a ground of +18,000 capacity and must have won at least 3 major domestic trophies. The league would then look like:

1. Manchester United
2. Liverpool
3. Arsenal
4. Chelsea
5. Everton
6. Tottenham Hotspurs
7. Aston Villa
8. Manchester City
9. Newcastle United
10. Nottingham Forest
11. Wolverhampton Wanderers
12. Blackburn Rovers
13. Leeds United
14. Sheffield Wednesday
15. Sunderland
16. West Ham United
17. Sheffield United
18. Bolton Wanderers
19. Leicester City
20. Derby County

Still no Welsh clubs or a South Coast Derby.

Corner
05-01-2014, 04:36 PM
Absolutely not!

They need to get over their mindset that they're a big club, just because they once were and remember they are where they are because that's where they deserve to be on merit.

northy69
05-01-2014, 04:40 PM
Absolutely not!

They need to get over their mindset that they're a big club, just because they once were and remember they are where they are because that's where they deserve to be on merit.

Agree with you on that one, but can you put a list together of who you think are the biggest 20 clubs in the country that doesn't include them? I can't.

gm_gm
05-01-2014, 04:44 PM

1. Manchester United
2. Liverpool
3. Arsenal
4. Chelsea
5. Everton
6. Tottenham Hotspurs
7. Aston Villa
8. Manchester City
9. Newcastle United
10. Sunderland
11. West Ham United
12. Leeds United
13. Southampton
14. Portsmouth
16. Nottingham Forest
17. Derby County
18. Bolton Wanderers
19. Ipswich
20. Sheffield Wednesday

I would say Norwich & Stoke are bigger than the pigs and Palace are about the same, there are a few other clubs missing who are bigger than them also...so I couldnt see them appearing

Deepmidwinter
05-01-2014, 05:00 PM
Yes, along with Burton Albion

millyTHEmiller
05-01-2014, 05:04 PM
pointless thread :/

millertop
05-01-2014, 05:12 PM
If you put it like that then couldn't sheff united argue the same case?

And I agree with Corner

CrackersATM
05-01-2014, 05:13 PM
I think Wednesday scrape into the top 20 clubs on fan base and for the foreseeable future have Dave Richards bias helping them within the FA. But if you were doing it on potential it gets harder for them. They boast how big Sheffield is but government figures are nearly always boosted by Rotherham's population being added. Other cities in the last 25 years have grown a lot more than Sheffield and they can only claim half of the population because the other half falls to the Blades. Therefore Bradford, Hull, Norwich and Plymouth are one club cities and could have more potential as clubs. Bristol though it has 2 clubs has overtaken Sheffield and places like Reading have expanded beyond all expectations. Cardiff are not only a one club city but tap into the surrounding Valley towns.

As I posted earlier I firmly believe football should be about fair competition and what happens on the pitch. I know the law of averages says the bigger clubs or ones with richer owners will sign the better p

gramiller1959
05-01-2014, 05:24 PM
wednesday "were" a big club !!!

at one time so were accrington stanley ... time moves on ... there fans live in the past :)

millmoormagic
05-01-2014, 05:30 PM
[quote="gramiller1959" a big club !!!

at one time so were accrington stanley ... time moves on ... there fans live in the past :)[/quote]

What he ^^^ said

loyalmiller
05-01-2014, 05:46 PM
For a start I don't think they should have a 'pull the ladder up mate and sod the rest' league! It would spell the end for a lot of clubs, especially the premiership fringe clubs like Leicester. Forest, Birmingham etc..

Secondly if they did Wednesday shouldn't be one of them. I'd even put the Blades above them!

The OP also put Portsmouth on the list! Why? They have always been a struggling club and are now at their true level. Apart from the last decade when they were doing well (on borrowed money they couldn't pay back) they've always been bottom two divisions.

MagyarMiller
05-01-2014, 06:01 PM
What he ^^^ said

I agree.

When do a so called big club, stop being a big club really?
On performance alone they can't claim to have been a big club for over 20 years, and it's arguably, only the league cup win (also known as the mickey mouse cup by some of 'em, earlier this season) that makes it that recent.

So if you have to bring history and fan base into it, there's other clubs who could have a equal claim, that aren't considered big clubs. 'Tin-pot' even, to hear some Wendy fans sometimes.

I suppose it's when the majority of a clubs fans are realistic enough to realise their time is passed.

In that case Wednesday will always be massive.

deano_83
06-01-2014, 09:43 AM
As a sidenote, I had a pig tell me at the weekend that we're on a par with Yeovil in terms of club size. XD

Without needing to go into the ins and outs of it, I laughed in his face.

Soem of 'em are clueless.

harpo88
06-01-2014, 11:32 AM
Had a pub conversation once talking about if they had franchises like in the States, based on population. Reckoned you'd have to have things like the Manchester Sky Devils, Merseyside Toffee Birds, Chelsea Cottagers etc.

Let's just say Wednesday and anyone else should only be in the top division if they win enough matches to get there. I like the fact that Hull, Swansea etc can make it from League 2 to the Prem in about 10 years - gives us Millers some hope!

Deepmidwinter
06-01-2014, 11:38 AM
[quote="gramiller1959" a big club !!!

at one time so were accrington stanley ... time moves on ... there fans live in the past :)[/quote]

Er...Accrington Stanley were a big club when exactly Gram?

wickersley__miller
06-01-2014, 03:24 PM
Wednesday are easily in the top 20 clubs in the country tbf.

Miller67
06-01-2014, 03:43 PM
Let's just stop this now, baggyfowl will be creaming his pants reading this, just say they're the massivist club in the world and leave it at that ;D XD