PDA

View Full Version : Will Ward ever take a corner that beats the 1st man

triz
05-01-2014, 03:40 PM
We arent going to get many chances from open play so our set pieces are very important today, as usual every time i see ward his corners and free kicks are utter rubbish. I really feel that i could do better. FFS mcclaren, put someone else on them. Anyone.Give them bucko over ward all day :/

sheeeeeeeeeep
05-01-2014, 04:19 PM
Until the last ten minutes Derby played poorly and the midfield let us down today. Hughes and Hendrick didn't run or move and rarely played any sort of forward pass. Yes Chelsea are a top side but we didn't have any energy about our play today until the game was virtually over.

As for Wards set pieces, I have no idea why he keeps taking them!

Stringer_Bell
05-01-2014, 04:30 PM
Set pieces seem to have been a problem for us for a while. Ben Davies was supposed to be the answer but too inconsistent and not getting a game now.

We've got some height in the team now too which we've not always had. The entire back 4 are biggish units and we should really be taking advantage. Maybe something that can be looked at during the transfer window? Set pieces are a massive part of the game now and it's crazy to waste so many.

OldRamsFan
05-01-2014, 05:49 PM
Can't believe that you think Derby played poorly! I thought given the difference in class we would be slaughtered but we held our own throughout the game for the most part.We were never going to better them but we gave a bloody good account of ourselves!
In my opinion!

clough08
05-01-2014, 06:00 PM
I agree ORF - thought Hughes had a good game with Hendrick feeling his way back to match fitness. Missed Bryson's surges into the box but generally did well. BUT the set pieces are hopeless. If we could whip them in like Willian did for their first goal we could have won this. Professional players should be able to do this.

eamonnram
05-01-2014, 06:10 PM
Yes I agree. Cant believe your calling them sheep when we have just played one of the best teams in EUROPE. We didn't embarrass ourselves at all. We no what Chelsea have got and it was all about keeping our shape keep playing the way we know and try to catch them on the break. They have world class player's and if we can hold a front line out like that then that back 4 for me will do the buiss for us in the 2nd half of the season. Bring on Leicester. .

sheeeeeeeeeep
05-01-2014, 06:17 PM
Yes I agree. Cant believe your calling them sheep when we have just played one of the best teams in EUROPE. We didn't embarrass ourselves at all. We no what Chelsea have got and it was all about keeping our shape keep playing the way we know and try to catch them on the break. They have world class player's and if we can hold a front line out like that then that back 4 for me will do the buiss for us in the 2nd half of the season. Bring on Leicester. .

Ok so it wasn't all bad but I do think we played poorly in midfield. I didn't think Hughes played well at all, he jogged around and never ran into space after passing the ball. Whenever we got the ball in their half nobody seemed to be moving into space other than Martin.

Maybe I'm wrong but that's my opinion.

triz
05-01-2014, 06:21 PM
I thought hughes had an ok game tbh, not fantastic but one of our better players. Im happy with 2-0 as i dont think it'll shake our confidence too much,m i was worried abouut a spanking so ill take 2 nothing all day long. We need to get something at leicester if we are going to do anything this year imo. Big big game

beano2
05-01-2014, 06:38 PM
Ward and Hughes were disappointing for me today but overall thought Derby played to the best of their abilities. Frustrated Chelsea in the first half and held our line well. The difference in class was always going to show in the end, but well done Derby. Was impressed with Buxton and Hughes at the back, also Martin's deft touches.
COYR

HungaryRam
05-01-2014, 06:59 PM
agree with you there Triz,

Streamed the 2nd half from Hungary on BT1 and Warnock and Ginola were ever so scathing of the performance by us in the post match analysis. Anyone else see it?

Warnock said that his mum could have scored the first and that Buxton was greatly at fault for the second. Generally they believed that we didn't treat it like a cup match until we were 2 -0 down. Didn't think that was fair.

From what I saw I thought we deserved a lot more respect. We kept our shape and did a lot of encouraging work at containing them when we didn't have the ball.

Thought Sammon was a real nuisance when he came on and that Bennett took to the occasion really well and looked our most threatening player.

Hughes and Martin played some great passes but we really missed Bryson's ability to break forward.

Back to the original topic though, we couldn't have a better coach than Paul Simpson to help work on free-kicks.

That was the biggest disappointment and the telling difference i

tamworthram
05-01-2014, 08:08 PM
Warnock has always been a bit of an idiot.

OK we never really looked like winning but, given the opposition, we did OK and definitely wouldn't say we were poor.

Maybe a bit controversial but, isn't it time Forsyth got some recognition? Still a work in progress but he has improved greatly since Mac and co arrived.

ellafella
05-01-2014, 08:58 PM
We arent going to get many chances from open play so our set pieces are very important today, as usual every time i see ward his corners and free kicks are utter rubbish. I really feel that i could do better. FFS mcclaren, put someone else on them. Anyone.Give them bucko over ward all day :/

Once Ward went off, Hughes took the dead balls and his curve ball hit the right spots on 3 occasions. Ward takes them because he has scored the odd free kick but I have to say I'd fancy myself to put a better cross in than Wardy.

Let the Blonde take them I say. :s

Rapid
05-01-2014, 08:59 PM
****in ward. I just want to throttle him sometimes. I do believe that not beating the first man on a corner is one of the worst crimes in football (closely behind giving the ball away!).

every game, and I do mean every game forsyth proves that he's the best crosser of a ball in our team. why not let him have some corners? forget inswinging and outswinging - just get someone who can cross the bloody thing taking it!

and sorry sheeeeeeeeep, I agree you're being outrageously harsh. willian cost about ?30m on his own.

Ramstein
05-01-2014, 09:07 PM
Personally, Ward needs to go. His attitude stinks of late, he plays like he's not fully committed. Hes proven to be too greedy and mardy in the last few weeks. Maybe it's time for him to leave? I've loved him at the club but for me it's more negative than positive. Maybe his love interest with Sheffield United could be rekindled as that is the level he would excel at.

beano2
05-01-2014, 09:10 PM
Warnock stepped down as Leeds Manager after we beat them. His last day in management. That's why he doesn't like us ;D

keith_derby8
05-01-2014, 09:43 PM
dawkins corners were just as poor as wardies

clough08
05-01-2014, 11:38 PM
Warnock is an idiot and a nasty idiot at that. Only he could have got Sheff Utd relegated when they were 5 points clear of Wigan and Fulham with 2 games left. Some of the pundits they put on the telly are useless - Owen, Shearer etc

Interesting to hear how the Poison Dwarf won't talk to the media now but was desperate to get media work when he was out of a job.

AngryRam
06-01-2014, 08:57 AM
I thought hughes had an ok game tbh, not fantastic but one of our better players. Im happy with 2-0 as i dont think it'll shake our confidence too much,m i was worried abouut a spanking so ill take 2 nothing all day long. We need to get something at leicester if we are going to do anything this year imo. Big big game

Totally agree Triz.. Can't say I'm happy losing 0-2 to them but that's a personal thing as I live 30 mins from that tourist attraction, Stamford Bridge.

Leicester is massive now.. Wigan, we had to lose at some point... Chelsea, top premier team.. Okay we can live with that..
But Leicester really matters.
COYR.
>:(

sheeeeeeeeeep
06-01-2014, 12:19 PM
****in ward. I just want to throttle him sometimes. I do believe that not beating the first man on a corner is one of the worst crimes in football (closely behind giving the ball away!).

every game, and I do mean every game forsyth proves that he's the best crosser of a ball in our team. why not let him have some corners? forget inswinging and outswinging - just get someone who can cross the bloody thing taking it!

and sorry sheeeeeeeeep, I agree you're being outrageously harsh. willian cost about ?30m on his own.

William is an attacking player and I have no gripes about our defending, we defended superb, but for me we played like we did against Wigan. The forward players had no movement apart from Martin, the value of the opposition players doesn't stop you from running does it? Or passing the ball 6 yards to your own player? I stand by my opinion that Hendrick and Hughes played poorly and that affected our performance going forwar

Bear DCFC
06-01-2014, 12:59 PM
I don't think Leicester is as important as some of you believe. We win fantastic, we lose we'll still be in the hunt for promotion - it's not the end of the world, it doesn't automatically cancel us out for promotion. It just means that either:
1- We're not the best team in the division which most of us are aware of - you don't need to be the best team in the division to get promoted

2- We're out of form and Leicester are in form which will probably flip at some point again this season

What's important is the whole month of Jan which will set us up nicely for the remainder of the season. As long as we don't get a thrashing on Friday it's not going be as significant as some may think.

As for Ward, he's been frustratingly bad at set pieces for a long time.

Rapid
06-01-2014, 01:12 PM

the value of the opposition players doesn't stop you from running does it?[/quote]

no but gulf in quality does and someone who's valued at £30m is likely to be a damn site better than our young lads.

i don't think they played well either incidentally but saying they 'let us down' is crazy talk. all we could expect against this team full of world class players is for them

Rapid
06-01-2014, 01:19 PM
I don't think Leicester is as important as some of you believe. We win fantastic, we lose we'll still be in the hunt for promotion - it's not the end of the world, it doesn't automatically cancel us out for promotion. It just means that either:
1- We're not the best team in the division which most of us are aware of - you don't need to be the best team in the division to get promoted

2- We're out of form and Leicester are in form which will probably flip at some point again this season

What's important is the whole month of Jan which will set us up nicely for the remainder of the season. As long as we don't get a thrashing on Friday it's not going be as significant as some may think.

is that you bearofwardcfc?

if you've had to create a new account i'll just give you a quick tip. i used to sign in with my username and after weeks of not being able to po

Bear DCFC
06-01-2014, 01:23 PM

is that you bearofwardcfc?

if you've had to create a new account i'll just give you a quick tip. i used to sign in with my usern

sheeeeeeeeeep
06-01-2014, 01:37 PM

the value of the opposition players doesn't stop you from running does it?[/quote]

no but gulf in quality does and someone who's valued at AA?30m is likely to be a damn site better than our young lads.

i don't think they played well either incidentally but saying they 'let us down' is crazy talk. all we could expect against this

Rapid
06-01-2014, 10:23 PM
Until the last ten minutes Derby played poorly and the midfield let us down today. Hughes and Hendrick didn't run or move and rarely played any sort of forward pass.

fraid so.

the thing is when you're playing against world class opposition sometimes you're just not allowed to play to the best of your ability.

triz
07-01-2014, 03:31 AM

i just think the wind will be took out of our sails big time if we don't get something at the kp, even a point would do it. If we lose i can only see us dropping gradually d