PDA

View Full Version : 60mph motorway speed limit

potatoes1977
06-01-2014, 11:37 AM
The government is proposing to set up a 60mph speed limit for a 32-mile stretch of the M1, in an effort to cut air pollution.

It would be in place from junction 28, near Matlock, Derbyshire, to junction 35a, north of Rotherham. - view external link (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-25619914)

Derbymiller
06-01-2014, 11:46 AM
madness we want 80mph limits not 60

Heman
06-01-2014, 12:00 PM
You can rarely go above 60 there anyway. Stupid idea but won't change owt excpet more money in speeding fines.

Amanda_Hugg_n_Kiss
06-01-2014, 01:25 PM
Start by banning idiots like these every car off the road = less pollution.

As for this it would be in force 7am while 7pm, as Heman says you can hardly go above 60. - view external link (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-23967547)

jolly_roger
06-01-2014, 01:59 PM
According to the computer thingummybob in my car it does a better fuel consunption at 70mph than it does at 60.

So how can I contribute to this mythical pollution saving?

Smells like invention of a problem to keep the think tank politicos in business.

muzzymiller
06-01-2014, 02:32 PM
To be honest, I would like to be able to go fast and get places quicker normally. However, living in Derby means I have had to go through the major roadwotks between around j29 and j33 lots lately. There is a 50 limit all through there. I have found that there has been fewer bottlenecks/slower traffic through this area at peak times than normal. Also my mpg is WAY better. Think it's worth a trial as could improve peoples commute on workdays.

clarkey1974
06-01-2014, 04:57 PM
The government is proposing to set up a 60mph speed limit for a 32-mile stretch of the M1, in an effort to cut air pollution.

It would be in place from junction 28, near Matlock, Derbyshire, to junction 35a, north of Rotherham.

Supposed its different to the 2 mph limit you had when you were delivering post..!...And more importantly my giro..:D

gm_gm
06-01-2014, 05:05 PM
Anyone take notice anyway?

If its clear ill do 85 mph ...feck em

shiregreenmillers
06-01-2014, 05:17 PM
Anyone take notice anyway?

If its clear ill do 85 mph ...feck emIf south yorkshire police want gm gm address just let me know :/ :/ :/ :/ :/

shiregreenmillers
06-01-2014, 05:23 PM
According to the computer thingummybob in my car it does a better fuel consunption at 70mph than it does at 60.

Smells like invention of a problem to keep the think tank politicos in business. Jolly roger you're a pirate don't you travel by boat :? :? :? :?

gramiller1959
06-01-2014, 05:45 PM

Smells like invention of a problem to keep the think tank politicos in business. Jolly roger you're a pirate don't you travel by boat :? :? :? :?[/quote]

no but his car does not do much to the galleon :P

jolly_roger
06-01-2014, 07:08 PM

Smells like invention of a problem to keep the think tank politicos in business. Jolly roger you're a pirate don't you travel by boat :? :? :? :?[/quote]

Correct, see link - view external link (buzzaurus.com/oddities/the-black-pearl-rolls-across-germany/)

millmoorlane
06-01-2014, 07:18 PM
Seems like a daft idea to me.

On the one hand, they're talking about it becoming 4 lanes either way (so a 30% increase in capacity). On the other hand, they're saying that by upping the capacity, they'll need to reduce the limit to keep the CO2 down.

If we genuinely want to improve air quality etc then a 30 mile stretch of motorway won't do anything.

A far better idea would be to actively encourage people to use public transport by making it cheap, reliable, clean, efficient, safe etc etc.

Where I am in Manchester, I'm 5 miles from town. In rush hour, it takes me 25 minutes by bike (because I'm relatively young & fit and don't mind mixing it with lunatics), 25 minutes by car or 1 hour by bus (including a 5 min walk & wait either end). Although I live near both a train & tram station, I'm unable to use them at peak times as I'm too close to town so they're both completely full to capacity by the time they get to me.

If they genuinely want to reduce congestion & pollution then

18MILLERS84
06-01-2014, 10:34 PM
I thought only a few weeks ago they were taking about using the hard shoulder to speed traffic up ( I'm confused)

millmoorlane
06-01-2014, 10:50 PM
They are. Unfortunately by increasing speed we'd miss our environmental targets so it's better to have a 60mph limit in exchange for increasing capacity.

This is the start. Expect it to become the norm because it's cheaper and easier than coming up with a proper solution with an integrated transport network.

18MILLERS84
07-01-2014, 12:00 AM
Not noticed any thing like it in the south ?

hillsborough miller
07-01-2014, 07:47 AM
this enviromental issue for the m1 on the south yorkshire corridor is also their excuse not to light up the motorway as this was one of the reasons for the crash that happened a couple of years ago on j34 south. so with the hard shoulder experiment increase in traffic they would had to illuminate the carriageway costinga lot of money mmmmm you can see the cogs working in financial muppets

gm_gm
07-01-2014, 08:03 AM
[quote="millmoorlane"]Seems like a daft idea to me.

On the one hand, they're talking about it becoming 4 lanes either way (so a 30% increase in capacity). On the other hand, they're saying that by upping the capacity, they'll need to reduce the limit to keep the CO2 down.

If we genuinely want to improve air quality etc then a 30 mile stretch of motorway won't do anything.

A far better idea would be to actively encourage people to use public transport by making it cheap, reliable, clean, efficient, safe etc etc.

Where I am in Manchester, I'm 5 miles from town. In rush hour, it takes me 25 minutes by bike (because I'm relatively young & fit and don't mind mixing it with lunatics), 25 minutes by car or 1 hour by bus (including a 5 min walk & wait either end). Although I live near both a train & tram station, I'm unable to use them at peak times as I'm too close to town so they're both completely full to capacity by the time they get to me.

If they gen

ExeterMiller
07-01-2014, 08:30 AM
Bird on 5 Live yesterday said the air pollution going past Tinsley was atrocious. Well Durrr, it also didn't seem to bother you for the last X years the chimneys were belching out crap. The other thing she mentioned, 'it won't make the CO2 levels better, but will make sure they don't get worse'. FFS - where do they get these people from, they've got a degree so they think they know it all - but miss the all important ingredient - common bloody sense.

Shifting the **** beds, would do more?

And by the way, nobody on here cannot claim not to do 80 or more on the motorway. Your a liar if you never have / will

walter10
07-01-2014, 01:14 PM
Bird on 5 Live yesterday said the air pollution going past Tinsley was atrocious. Well Durrr, it also didn't seem to bother you for the last X years the chimneys were belching out crap. The other thing she mentioned, 'it won't make the CO2 levels better, but will make sure they don't get worse'. FFS - where do they get these people from, they've got a degree so they think they know it all - but miss the all important ingredient - common bloody sense.

Shifting the **** beds, would do more?

And by the way, nobody on here cannot claim not to do 80 or more on the motorway. Your a liar if you never have / will

If you stop CO2 levels getting worse you are making an improvement.

walter10
07-01-2014, 01:18 PM
Not noticed any thing like it in the south ?

I have. There are plenty of 60mph limits round the M25.

millmoorlane
07-01-2014, 10:24 PM
There's no fixed 60mph limits down south. The M25 is a managed motorway with variable limits and running lanes according to the traffic flow. That isn't the proposal for the M1. The limits are nothing to do with traffic flow and all to do with environmental targets... which is stupid because it's a daft way to meet them targets.

crashbang
07-01-2014, 11:58 PM
Do cars go that slow?

ExeterMiller
08-01-2014, 12:48 AM
So what reduce cars down to 60 so they're doing the same speed as lorries? - accident waiting to happen, unless of course lorries go down to 50 (and like you can see that happening). Also do the stupid nobs who dream up this bullshine know how many miles it takes for a lorry to overtake going 2 miles an hour faster than another & the backlog that would cause. I know lets make CO2 'better' and turn it into 1 big car park. Planks

crashbang
08-01-2014, 01:03 AM
So what reduce cars down to 60 so they're doing the same speed as lorries? - accident waiting to happen, unless of course lorries go down to 50 (and like you can see that happening). Also do the stupid nobs who dream up this bullshine know how many miles it takes for a lorry to overtake going 2 miles an hour faster than another & the backlog that would cause. I know lets make CO2 'better' and turn it into 1 big car park. Planks

Exeter , do you not realise do you not understand, all this trivia is to take peoples mind off the **** this place is in.?

shiregreenmillers
08-01-2014, 08:00 AM
[quote="gm_gm"]Seems like a daft idea to me.

Where I am in Manchester, I'm 5 miles from town. In rush hour, it takes me 25 minutes by bike (because I'm relatively young & fit and don't mind mixing it with lunatics), 25 minutes by car or 1 hour by bus (including a 5 min walk & wait either end). Although I live near both a train & tram station, I'm unable to use them at peak times as I'm too close to town so they're both completely full to capacit