PDA

View Full Version : OT just been watching our 6-0

18MILLERS84
07-01-2014, 12:11 AM
Hammering of Chelsea in 80/81 season? Moore , Towner, Fern ect, not to take any thing away from our present team but how do people think that team would have coped in league one of today ? It's just for fun and discussion so no need for any nastiness towards any players past or present !!

Personally I think Towner would have a field day in today's game simply because of the way that tackling as albut been taken out of the game . Moore and Fern would I believe score goals in any era of the game !

millavanilla
07-01-2014, 12:34 AM
Theyre not just footballers today but athletes as well..look at the skinny legs of the 80s side compared with todays team..and even more pronounced by wearing short shorts..having said that mouthful, that 80s team would take some beating..never did we see the true potential of that team..if we'd been backed we would have gone strength to strength i reckon..barnsley got backed and theyre still there today..stancliffe and mullen or arneson and morgan?
no contest..rod fern..brilliant..gerry forrest..full back and winger in one..john seasman..great footballer, could score as well..and then the great tony towner..this team won this same division were in now dont forget ..

rileyev
07-01-2014, 04:33 AM
Went the whole season in division 3 unbeaten.

A brilliant team, the best Millers team Iv ever seen.

Not to take anything away from our current side, but there's not many who would have got in that side.

Pringle and Frecks, possibly!

CAMiller
07-01-2014, 05:22 AM

Not to take anything away from our current side, but there's not many who would have got in that side.

Unbeaten at Millmoor you mean - not losing at home an entire season seemed quite common in the good old days.

millavanilla
07-01-2014, 07:56 AM
And i havent checked this but from memory..was it 50 odd goals for and only about 8 or 9 against ? we get that against us in 3 games now sometimes ...jimmy mullen and paul stancliffe was the best pairing i ever saw and jimmy really brought paul on..he was a good player at hillsborough in a decent side..no frills..hard as
nails..

rileyev
07-01-2014, 09:22 AM

Unbeaten at Millmoor you mean - not losing at home an entire season seemed quite common in the good old days.[/quote]

Yes Cam, at Millmoor is what I mean't. It's our current home form that made me think of it.

Certainly lost away, I remember the Barnsley game. We wouldn't have scored if we'd played all night. Remember it well as I was on their kop. Mi fatha left me there while he went and sat in their main stand, don't think I'd have cheered if we had scored tbh. .:s XD

dmentor
07-01-2014, 10:37 AM
You were an hard case back then,even if you were only 9,:D

rileyev
07-01-2014, 11:07 AM
You were an hard case back then,even if you were only 9,:D

Lol I was surrounded by hairy arsed giant miners.

Daunting for a 9 year old! XD

CAMiller
07-01-2014, 03:07 PM
And i havent checked this but from memory..was it 50 odd goals for and only about 8 or 9 against ? we get that against us in 3 games now sometimes ...jimmy mullen and paul stancliffe was the best pairing i ever saw and jimmy really brought paul on..he was a good player at hillsborough in a decent side..no frills..hard as
nails..

Home record was

P23 W17 D6 L0 GF43 GA8

That's how to keep the home fans happy and we didn't let a goal in at home against any of the other top 6 teams as we won the league.

Not quite up to the 46-47 season where the only game we didn't win at Millmoor was the last one of the season.

P21 W20 D1 L0 F82 A19

(and that wasn't even good enough to win the league as we finished 2nd to Donny)

leedsmiller
07-01-2014, 06:53 PM
And didn't we draw the first home game 2 - 2 against Fulham? So let in 6 in next 22

CAMiller
07-01-2014, 07:02 PM
And didn't we draw the first home game 2 - 2 against Fulham? So let in 6 in next 22

Yes. We only let in 3 goals at Millmoor after Christmas that season.

Must have been something about home comforts because our away form was average to say the least. We didn't beat any of the 10 teams that finished immediately below us, losing to 8 of them and drawing with the other 2.