PDA

View Full Version : Hitzlsperger

tony260674
08-01-2014, 11:40 AM
Brave guy.
The first generation of openly gay footballers are going to have it tough as the first generation of black footballers did but they will be leading the way for those who follow. Good luck to him and hopefully others will now feel that they can be open too.

scum_triumphant
08-01-2014, 11:56 AM
Part of me thinks this shouldn't be a story but unfortunately homophobia is rife in society and not just in football meaning it is. I'm glad he has done it and I hope it will inspire others to be open and honest, just a shame he waited until retirement.
Reading the full interview in the guardian it came across that it was a non issue in the changing room which is encouraging.

18MILLERS84
08-01-2014, 11:57 AM
Great post Tony, to be honest I don't think other footballers will care if a team mate is gay, the people who will make a fuss will be the knuckle draggers who use to taunt( and still do to a lesser degree) our black footballers .

tony260674
08-01-2014, 12:01 PM
Part of me thinks this shouldn't be a story but unfortunately homophobia is rife in society and not just in football meaning it is. I'm glad he has done it and I hope it will inspire others to be open and honest, just a shame he waited until retirement.
Reading the full interview in the guardian it came across that it was a non issue in the changing room which is encouraging.

I wouldn't expect it to be an issue with players Scum, the problem will be supporters of opposing teams. The first generation will receive dogs abuse. I remember the early eighties when I first started watching football regularly. Black players would be abused as a matter of course and even though I believe we have moved on as a society, I can't see it being much better at first. Given time it will get better but the first active players to come out as openly gay will be very brave indeed.

millmoormagic
08-01-2014, 12:29 PM
His best position is in the hole, behind the striker... ;D :D :D

marshmiller
08-01-2014, 12:41 PM
His best position is in the hole, behind the striker... ;D :D :D
Puft!! ... thought everyone new that!! ;-D

millertop
08-01-2014, 12:45 PM
They shouldn't have to come out and broadcast it if they're gay but shouldn't feel that they have to hide it either.

There's still some narrow minded people out there but I think most of us wouldn't bat an eyelid.

Heman
08-01-2014, 02:48 PM
Who cares if he is gay or not?

I get changed in a communal gym changing room. Do I have to get everyone's ***uality verified before I change into my swimwear? No.

Is being gay catching? No.

If you had a son and he came out as gay would he cease to be your son? I hope your answer is no.

tony260674
08-01-2014, 02:58 PM
Who cares if he is gay or not?

I get changed in a communal gym changing room. Do I have to get everyone's ***uality verified before I change into my swimwear? No.

Is being gay catching? No.

If you had a son and he came out as gay would he cease to be your son? I hope your answer is no.

I agree 100% but it isn't about that. Every footballer who comes out as gay makes it easier for gay footballers in the future. Fans will be the last to accept the situation, but they will, in time.

fivetide
08-01-2014, 03:06 PM

Quite right. It's actually sad it should be a story but hey, listen to the abuse dished out by overweight clods in the crowd without having this to jump on and it is clear why players don't do this.

As others have said,it shouldn't matter one way or the other and there shouldn't be a need to declare anything.

Hopefully these stories will stop being news at some point but I can't see it in the near future.

wickersley__miller
08-01-2014, 03:12 PM
Why is this even news? Why does he have to announce it to the whole world? Same situation as Tom Daley for me. Just tell your friends/family.

millavanilla
08-01-2014, 04:35 PM
They shouldn't have to come out and broadcast it if they're gay but shouldn't feel that they have to hide it either.

There's still some narrow minded people out there but I think most of us wouldn't bat an eyelid.

Bat an eyelid? You would if they were behind you while tying your bootlace .. XD

Miller67
08-01-2014, 04:44 PM
Don't know what all the fuss is about, I came out as openly hetero***ual years ago, my family and friends just accept me for the person I am. O:)

millavanilla
08-01-2014, 04:44 PM
Its not the done thing now to take the mickey anymore as we all know...not out of gay men, gay women, ginger hair,fat people, thin people,little people, tall people, and any person with an obvious problem...so remember..steve evans is not fat , hes just well built...

kempo
08-01-2014, 04:52 PM
You only have to read some of the pathetic posts already appearing on this thread to see why footballers are afraid to disclose their ***uality.

Johno2012
08-01-2014, 05:17 PM
I knew...

Saw him playing with Ballacks a few years ago! Never saw him tackling Kuntz either

frogmiller
08-01-2014, 05:41 PM
I believe than no-one really has a problem with gay people other than the gay people who mince arround like no other part of the animal kingdom!

Be gay and be proud but don't be something that doesn't exist!

Seamoose
08-01-2014, 05:49 PM
I believe than no-one really has a problem with gay people other than the gay people who mince arround like no other part of the animal kingdom!

What on Earth does that mean?

rileyev
08-01-2014, 06:14 PM
I manage a team of care workers and quite a few are gay.

All good lads n lasses who do a great job.

Why wouldn't they?

Ignorance belongs in the past!!

Be proud of whoever you are!!

HotshotBobbyW
08-01-2014, 06:32 PM
Brave ? Stupid ? attention seeking ?, no i won't go there.

Lets get back to threads that really matter or mean anything worthy in life.

kempo
08-01-2014, 06:38 PM

:( :( :( :( :(

scum_triumphant
08-01-2014, 06:41 PM
Brave ? Stupid ? attention seeking ?, no i won't go there.

Lets get back to threads that really matter or mean anything worthy in life.

Such as?

Calling fans that don't make it to games plastic matters much more eh?

frogmiller
08-01-2014, 06:45 PM
Sorry but there is gay and gay! - view external link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-3cuCEt9k8)

jolly_roger
08-01-2014, 08:08 PM
I thought the guy came out of the closet when he left Aston Villa.

By the way, thinking that homo***uality is an abomination is not necessarily ignorant nor knuckle dragging, or is free speech dead when it comes to the holy cows of the middle class liberals?

Each to their own, homo***ual or not, but protect free speech.

John2
09-01-2014, 07:59 PM
By the way, thinking that homo***uality is an abomination is not necessarily ignorant nor knuckle dragging, or is free speech dead when it comes to the holy cows of the middle class liberals?

Do you understand what free speech is? As it appears you grossly misunderstand the concept. That would explain a lot of the bizarre hysteria surrounding 'free speech'.

If somebody expresses an opinion and someone says they think the opinion is ignorant, that has nothing at all to do with free speech, it is merely somebody disagreeing.

If somebody expresses an opinion and someone says they don't think it should be permitted to air such a view, that is a free speech issue.

See the difference? Its really not complicated.

If you believe someone should be allowed to express an ignorant opinion and have nobody be allowed to disagree with them to protect their free speech - then that IS a free speech issue, but not for the person expressing th

Deepmidwinter
09-01-2014, 08:01 PM

What on Earth does that mean?[/quote]

It's life Jim, but not as we know it!

Amanda_Hugg_n_Kiss
09-01-2014, 08:25 PM

Do you understand what free speech is? As it appears you grossly misunderstand the concept. That would explain a lot of the bizarre hysteria surrounding 'free speech'.

If somebody expresses an opinion and someone says they think the opinion is ignorant, that has nothing at all to do with free speech, it is merely somebody disagreeing.

If somebody expresses an opinion and someone says they don't think it should be permitted to air such a view, that is a free speech issue.

If you believe someone should be allowed to express an ignorant opinion and have nobody be allowed to disagree with them to protect their free speech - then that IS a free speech

redhouse
09-01-2014, 08:29 PM

If you believe someone should be allowed to express an ignorant opinion and have nobody be allowed to disagree with them to

crashbang
09-01-2014, 08:31 PM
Live and let live.