PDA

View Full Version : O/T Great Lines from the Sports World

TundraWolf
09-01-2014, 01:13 PM
Every sport has them, 'double entendres' put downs, and funny lines that come up again and again (I know Beckham has given us many); I thought it might be an idea to share some.

Casey Stengal, an old New York Yankee manager was asked by the Press about a 20 year old player who had just joined the team, Ron Swoboda, I think. With Swoboda listening in the locker room, Stengal said, "Well, he's 20 years old now and he can run, he can field and he can hit, and in ten years he has a good chance of being 30!"

Other Stengal quotes:

"I'll never make the mistake of being 70 again"

"Son, we'd like to keep you around all season but we're trying to win a Championship."

"On the luck of catcher Yogi Berra: "He'd fall in a sewer and come up with a gold watch!"

wolves71
09-01-2014, 05:11 PM
David Coleman often came out with quite a few of his own including:

“If that had gone in, it would have been a goal.”

“Both of the Villa scorers – Withe and Mortimer – were born in Liverpool as was the Villa manager Ron Saunders who was born in Birkenhead.”

“It’s gold or nothing ... and it’s nothing. He comes away with the silver medal.”

Evewolf65
09-01-2014, 07:22 PM
Just a throw away line from Jonathon Agnew during a Test Match Special in 1991 Reduced the Great Brian Johnston to fits of giggles and produced a famous bit of radio for Cricket fans!Link below... - view external link (http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00jxdqj)

peterknowlesburnside
09-01-2014, 08:15 PM
England v West Indies at The Oval 1976, Brian Johnston - "The bowler's Holding, the batsman's Willey"

Evewolf65
09-01-2014, 08:34 PM
[quote="peterknowlesburnside"[/quote]

Famous Urban myth Knowlsey Johnners never actually uttered those words though he would have loved to!:D Link below... - view external link (http://memoriesoftestmatchspecial.com/watch-clips-of-the-show-bowlers/)

TundraWolf
10-01-2014, 04:24 AM
During WWII the USA found that there were so many men in Service that they had to hire women for some of the radio jobs. When the war ended and the troops were to be sent home, one female announcer, no doubt dreaming of all the fancy dress dances and parties to come cooed over the airways, "Soon the bachelors will be back with their marvelous balls." The innocent lass was dismissed right after the broadcast.

TundraWolf
10-01-2014, 01:54 PM
Here's some football ones I ran across:

"My parents have been there for me ever sincs I was seven." - David Beckham

"I definitely want Brooklyn (his daughter) o be christened, but I don't know in what religion yet!" - David Beckham

"Alex Ferguson is the best manager I've ever had at this level. Well, he's the only manager I've ever had at this level. But he's the best manager I've ever had." - David Beckham

"I can see the carrot at the end of the tunnel." - Stuart Pearce

"I would not be bothered if we lost every game as long as we won the league." - Mark Vidulo

"We lost because we didn't win." - Ronaldo

"If you don't believe you can win there is no point in getting out of bed at the end of the day." - Neville Southall

"I've had 14 bookings this season - 8 of which were my fault, but 7 of which were disputable." -Paul Gascoigne

"I've never wanted to leave. I'm here for the rest of my life and hopefully after that as well." - Alex Shearer

"I'd like to play for an Italian club,

greystone16
10-01-2014, 03:10 PM
"I have such bad luck at the moment that if I fell in a barrel of boobs I'd come out sucking my thumb " Ian Holloway

Reporter ;"Ian ,have you got any injury worries?"
Holloway; "No,I'm fully fit,thank you"

The ideal soccer Board of Directors should be made up of three men; two dead and the other dying. Tommy Docherty