PDA

View Full Version : Do we need a Director of Football...

leedsmiller
10-01-2014, 10:59 AM
...or does the Paul Douglas role need redefining?

There's no denying our success on the field since the arrival of Steve Evans but there's a huge question mark over his selection and handling of players. Nobody can have a 100% success rate with players they bring in but our record is shambolic. If you change the personnel often enough you're bound to strike lucky with one or two but this is a very high cost strategy that negates stability and consistency in team performance.

From the first batch of imports, Sharps, Wilson, Odejayi, Ainsworth etc to the current situation where we have seven players (?) out on loan - unsustainable with a club our size - we've seen a procession of comings and goings seemingly based more on trial and error than sound initial judgement and assessment. We all have opinions as to whether Mullins and Nardiello should have been shown the door but whatever your viewpoint they should not have been released without adequate replacements being lined up. The same

robsmillers
10-01-2014, 11:07 AM
Does anyone know what a Director Football Actually does? Serious question

Wonder_goal
10-01-2014, 11:08 AM
Do you really go through that many players, to then discard them shortly after ?

That must cost a fortune in settling the contracts up. If i was you i would break the bank, get Lee Turnbull in, our ex scout that unearthed Hooper and co, he's at Huddersfield now.

MansfieldMiller
10-01-2014, 01:17 PM
At this stage can we afford one or would it take away money that could be spent on players/wages?

I don't think we are a big enough club to be considering this at the moment.

DavidEdinburgh
10-01-2014, 05:31 PM
In a word, NO

uttis
10-01-2014, 10:02 PM
Micky Walker ex Donny would be a good shout if only on part time basis.

crashbang
10-01-2014, 10:03 PM
Long live Douglas

CrackersATM
11-01-2014, 11:12 AM
During SE reign we have seen the turnover of players being far to high. I think Tidser needs time and he's been a victim of the competition for midfield places at the club. A few seasons ago he'd be our best or 2nd best midfielder at the club. Stepping up from semi pro to Lge 1 is a huge step. Playing the SPL will help him. Worral on paper was better than we had but 8 months later after rotten luck with injuries did he look better than he is in a bad team at Bury? It's positive Lge 1 Oldham have taken him on loan and hopefully he'll get a run of games and comeback firing. To give SE credit Agard didn't set the world on fire in his early months last season and Nov 12 I'd had given long odds he'd still be at the club now. But in Lge 1 he has scored double figures and is a credit to himself and SE management skills.

Taking SE away from the recruitment process would increase the risk of players being successful. SE is known as a marmite character in the game and I feel its important he sh

merry_miller
11-01-2014, 11:27 AM
Why change a strategy that' working ? It's down to Tony Stewart to say that the pot's dry make do with what you've got if he thinks we are spending too much.

Must admit i'm a tad concerned that Evans doesn't see any of the young players as good enough to be on the bench though when we are short. Doesn't bode well for the long term.