PDA

View Full Version : O/T Driving in europe

ThryberghMILLER23
11-01-2014, 10:50 AM
Now starting driving in europe first job is in spain any tips will be my first time so any advice would be great.

crashbang
11-01-2014, 11:04 AM
Now starting driving in europe first job is in spain any tips will be my first time so any advice would be great. - view external link (http://www.venere.com/blog/spain-driving-tips/)

Brin
11-01-2014, 11:08 AM
Now starting driving in europe first job is in spain any tips will be my first time so any advice would be great.

Don't forget they drive on tother side o' road young un...;-)

frogmiller
11-01-2014, 12:02 PM

Drive on the Right!
Have long arms to pay the tolls!
Have a spare set of light bolbs in the van for the van.
Carry a hi-vi and a fold up triagle. Get a alcohol self test kit.

Let me know what size van you have and what you can carry.

ThryberghMILLER23
11-01-2014, 12:37 PM
I have a vw luton and can carry 1.5 t.

frogmiller
11-01-2014, 12:59 PM
There are british sites/forums over here. They are always on the look out for transport. It may be worth you contacting them espacially have an empty van either on the way out or back.

This one is used alot by the expat community.

Good luck - view external link (http://poitoucharentes.angloinfo.com/)

pip_y
11-01-2014, 02:07 PM
Its not a problem for me apart from when you first set off remembering which side of the road and then the other danger spot is roundabouts!

frogmiller
11-01-2014, 02:14 PM
Its not a problem for me apart from when you first set off remembering which side of the road and then the other danger spot is roundabouts!

I find it much harder to drive in the UK now. The most dangerous part for me is when there are no road markings on industrial estates or shops.

Another good tip is - if you have to park on the road then park on the correct side for setting off.

ihatedusty
11-01-2014, 05:53 PM
If driving in France note that as soon as you drive beyond the town place the speed limit becomes 30mph and continues until you see the place with a red line through it (the end of the town boundary). Drivers in France tend to stick to these speed limits. Speed cameras are grey boxes and generally no more than 4 feet high. You need a sobriety tester by law (look on Amazon for a single use one), high vis vest, beam benders for your lights if taking a british vehicle over, and a warning triangle for any breakdowns and may be even replacement bulbs for lights. A Satnav does help if you want to avoid any toll roads. It's supposed to be illegal to have a satnav that warns against any cameras but I have had no trouble in numerous runs over there. Oh! And don't drink and drive as they have a lower limit, (although you will probably get fined on the spot rather than banned if caught) Make sure you carry your European health cover card EP111 all the time, (these are free on the govern

mygiddypant
11-01-2014, 06:43 PM
[quote="ihatedusty"]If driving in France note that as soon as you drive beyond the town place the speed limit becomes 30mph and continues until you see the place with a red line through it (the end of the town boundary). Drivers in France tend to stick to these speed limits. Speed cameras are grey boxes and generally no more than 4 feet high. You need a sobriety tester by law (look on Amazon for a single use one), high vis vest, beam benders for your lights if taking a british vehicle over, and a warning triangle for any breakdowns and may be even replacement bulbs for lights. A Satnav does help if you want to avoid any toll roads. It's supposed to be illegal to have a satnav that warns against any cameras but I have had no trouble in numerous runs over there. Oh! And don't drink and drive as they have a lower limit, (although you will probably get fined on the spot rather than banned if caught) Make sure you carry your European health cover card E

millerlite
11-01-2014, 08:35 PM
Try not to laugh your nuts off at the pronunciations on the Sat Nav!

ThryberghMILLER23
12-01-2014, 04:29 PM
Cheers for advice sent off for my card.

frogmiller
12-01-2014, 05:45 PM
Diesel is cheaper here in france away from the service stations.

If you look for a service station on a sat nav be careful when it says Total. They are ofter Elan stations and are about a?0.20 dearer.

The newer speed cameras are like cut off lamp posts. There are not painted yellow infact they are painted using non reflective paint. There is usually a great whacking sign within 1 km of the camera stating pour votre security.

ThryberghMILLER23
13-01-2014, 06:57 PM
Ive been told today i need winter tyers or chains is this true i travel in febuary not sure on the weather hoping my route is not in any hazedous routes.

Barnsley_Miller
13-01-2014, 07:05 PM
Driving in europe, its a piece of cake.

Just pap your hooter and flash your lights at the natives, they soon get the message and move over

Oh and dont forget the hand signals XD

Brin
13-01-2014, 07:06 PM
By the sound of things by the time tha's loaded up the van tha won't have any room for owt in it...X-D X-D X-D

frogmiller
13-01-2014, 07:07 PM
Ive been told today i need winter tyers or chains is this true i travel in febuary not sure on the weather hoping my route is not in any hazedous routes.

Chains are a benefit. I have just had snow tyres fitted because they were on offer but on UK plates they'll just laugh at you and tut alot if you get stuck. Bars are equally good ;D

Brin
13-01-2014, 07:19 PM

Chains are a benefit. I have just had snow tyres fitted because they were on offer but on UK plates they'll just laugh at you and tut alot if you get stuck. Bars are equally good ;D[/quote]

Yeh one for staying in while the snow passes...hic! **&^%$ ;-)

ThryberghMILLER23
18-01-2014, 09:48 PM
Just letting ya know ill be travelling to madrid either end of this month or start of febuary thanks again for advice slightly nervous but looking forward to it as well.

Heman
19-01-2014, 11:55 AM
Do you need a Spanish speaking passenger Ryan?

Only joking - Madrid in a Luton - no thanks...

vespabri
19-01-2014, 02:25 PM
Good luck Ryan..Need a dble man partner?? LOL.
Hopefully i"ll be driving in europe when England qualify for the Euros.
Told our lass wer"e of to the euros as a family..maybe a eurocamp and kill 2 birds with 1 stone.
Hopefully drive to Germany for a Bundesliga game before that aswell.

frogmiller
19-01-2014, 05:49 PM
Are you full both ways Thrybergh?

If not have you contacted the website I posted?

ThryberghMILLER23
19-01-2014, 06:44 PM
I am nearly full small amount of room could you please post of website i dont seem to be able to get on the link cheers.

frogmiller
19-01-2014, 07:22 PM
I am nearly full small amount of room could you please post of website i dont seem to be able to get on the link cheers.

Nearly full both ways? Great work! - view external link (http://france.angloinfo.com/)