PDA

View Full Version : The bottom line ...

ClashCityRocker
11-01-2014, 05:38 PM
Thought we outplayed Brechin today for almost the entire 90 mins.

Their goal was against the run of play and was one of only a few real opportunities they had ( Morrison did pull off a few good saves, but was rarely troubled ).

Every player gave 100% effort and we created lots of decent chances - we just couldin't put the ball in the net.

Banjo, Linn, Hamilton and the rest of the players all put in a good shift.

We are simply just not getting the breaks, we need a little luck - think we had two decent penalty claims for hand ball when Brechin cleared off the line in both the 1st and 2nd half of the match.

Can't fault the player's efforts today - surely we will start getting the breaks soon.

Song below sums up what needs to be done. - view external link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4V5Zoe84BjE)

Lichtielegend
11-01-2014, 06:39 PM
I'm absolutely amazed someone thought that was an acceptable performance.

ClashCityRocker
11-01-2014, 06:47 PM
According to the BBC stats both teams had 50% - 50% possession, seemed to be all Arbroath in the 2nd half, but thats the stats.

BBC stats state that Arbroath only had 3 corners - Brechin had 10 ( again, I thought we had more than 3 corners ) ?

It's not easy playing against a team who are content to sit back and soak up the pressure and resort to time wasting to break up the run of play - Brechin had absolutely no creativity.

Has Doris went back to Dundee ?

Lichtielegend
11-01-2014, 07:01 PM
It might not be easy to beat a team happy to sit back but it is certainly easy to dominate one. We did that without making a clear cut chance. I don't think I can recall us having a real opportunity outwith a long range effort.

To criticise Brechin of a lack of creativity without recognising our own is utterly baffling.

Bellevue
11-01-2014, 07:12 PM
Agree with Lichtielegend that our performance was poor, against another poor side. The Brechin corners v Arbroath corners ratio was about right and we never had a corner in the first half, when we were very much second best.
The only real penalty shout we had was in the second half when Chisolm was driving in on goal and was pushed in the back, in the box. Even a Brechin fan beside me thought it was a penalty. The ref seemed to think that football is a non contact sport, except in the penalty box.
Some people seem to think that we have good players. It would be nice if some of them turned up on Saturday afternoons.
Cannot see us picking up any points in February, so I'm afraid that, realistically, we have to accept the fact that we are more than likely to be relegated this season. Oh for a Flyer in the side, somebody who's head never went down and who never gave up even if he wasn't having the best of games himself. I suspect that even if we get new players in at the end of the month

ectolichtie
11-01-2014, 07:18 PM
There was not much difference between the teams in the 1st half, 2nd half all us, but we need a STRIKER FAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

maroonie
11-01-2014, 07:24 PM
I'm absolutely amazed someone thought that was an acceptable performance.
IMO in terms of the overall play we were in control most of the game but with no punch up front. Bayne was and is a target man who needs someone around him to pick up his knockdowns. Neither Cook or Linn were anywhere near him today, nor did they get any crosses in to him. At any level of football crossses in the box bring goals, but we have no one prepared to hit the bye line and cross the ball. Whether the performance was acceptable or not, football is a results business and we are falling far short there. I had hoped PS would have got new recruits in quickly as a matter of urgency, but for whatever reasons, he hasn't. We are almost past the point of catching up the teams above us. Some wins could change that, but just can't see where they will come from without a prolific striker brought in. A drop to the basement beckons unless the boss can find the a

lifelonglichtie
11-01-2014, 07:27 PM
Must agree with lichtielegend, that was not an acceptable performance today. Morrison made 2 great saves today to keep the score down. How many saves did the brechin goaly have to make? None!
We certainly seemed to have way more then the 50% possession the BBC say but the other stats are right, only 3 shots on target. This against an appalling side.
I can easily see why forfar put 5 past brechin, they are truly awful, especially the number 5, who cant even kick the ball in a straight line.
We gave them the points today from the same failings we have had all season; a defence that is at best shaky and absolutely no threat in attack.
Our tactics today were again, play everything down the left and if that doesn't work, keep doing it. We are so predictable a decent pub league team could snuff us out. Where did the brechin goal come from, the same as most goals against us, the big gap on our right hand side.
Not only does our manager not sign players, he doesn't change tactics either
Bo

ClashCityRocker
11-01-2014, 07:29 PM
Brechin cleared the ball off their goal lines in each half of the match and at least one of them looked like a hand ball ...

Linn played well, but missed a great opportunity from about 8 yards from goals - he blasted the ball over the bar ( but he did have a very good game, running and chasing every ball ).

I thought all the Arbroath players gave 100% effort, perhaps there is a difference between effort and ability.

A few Arbroath players are obviously short of pace , but they still put the effort into chasing the ball.

Brechin were not worthy of a point, never mind winning the game.

lifelonglichtie
11-01-2014, 09:06 PM
You are precisely right about effort and ability being different things. That was my point about a good pub side snuffing out our pathetic, unimaginative, attacking play; they would just have to work hard.
The league table does not lie, 2 points from 12 games is not bad luck, its bad performances and the inability of the manager to do anything about it.
Too many of our side are simply not up to the job, no matter how hard they try.
Linn was the best player on the park but he must be getting sick fed up of having to try and dig us out of a hole.There is no way he will want to hang about at the end of the season but judging by past seasons he will simply be allowed to walk away like S****ie and Baxter did. He will probably end up at fofar too, simply because their manager makes an effort to bring in good players

smokie_bacon_crisps
11-01-2014, 11:31 PM
You see it every week on match of the day, when a team is struggling they fail to get those little moments that make all the difference, they come in all shapes and form and yes you can’t rely on them or pin your season on them, but we are in dire need of some a small change in luck. It was a bitterly cold day and with the low sun and surprisingly strong wind it was the day we all hoped we got those breaks, but sadly they didn’t come. I thought it was a very even first half and Scotty making some great saves, especially from Moyes and also that header from Keddie’s backpass. However again it was the referee who stole the spotlight.

Ewan Moyes was lying on the line and the ball was struck hit off him and then back out yet Somer’s claimed it hit his chest! Penalty and red card, then Banjo is given a yellow card for a dubious handball which then Brechin score from. Second half Moyes clearly handles the ball but Somers justifies that card by pointing to all the fouls he had al

Bellevue
12-01-2014, 10:54 AM
As you say SBC, "You only succeed with players who want to play for the club".
My point exactly about having a Flyer type player at the club and in the side.