PDA

View Full Version : David Edwards

dunstablewolf
11-01-2014, 08:17 PM
Is he really still "only a squad player"?

Works hard, reasonable range of passing, great at breaking into the box and most important of all, he scores goals.

In this league he is a worldy!

I am surprised at the amount of dis respect he gets.

wolves71
11-01-2014, 08:23 PM
[quote="dunstablewolf"?

Works hard, reasonable range of passing, great at breaking into the box and most important of all, he scores goals.

In this league he is a worldy!

I am surprised at the amount of dis respect he gets.[/quote]

I give him credit for his goal and performance today, the way Wolves were set up he was able to make runs into the box. I don't think he was the worst player on the pitch at Gillingham either, but i can only give the opinion that i see. The way Wolves set up with a lone striker gives Edwards licence to get forward, today there was an end product, in a 4-4-2, it doesn't suit him, Wolves are often overrun and exposed.

ADP22
11-01-2014, 08:32 PM
Edwards is often hated for hateds sake, scapegoated!

Nowhere near as bad as some make out but he has his haters and as with all players, on the day it's a case of horses for courses and today he was at the races!

Excellent performance from the diamond geezer!

MichiganWolf
11-01-2014, 08:39 PM
He is inconsistent. Had a cracker today but against Gillingham, I barely saw him touch the ball. I don't think he's terrible and I'm glad we have him so we can give others a rest or fill in for an injury. Do not want him reigned if we are promoted though.

dunstablewolf
11-01-2014, 08:53 PM
I agree that he needs to play an attacking role in a formation. Either out wide or behind a striker.

Gillingham was a classic case and point. I have no idea why Dave was given a deeper role. It really didn't suit him and we were crying out for a goal. Which Dave supplies.

Apart from McDonald and Henry. I can't think of a better player for Wolves.

You might say Sako. However I think he detracts from a team rather than enhance.

theplater
11-01-2014, 10:19 PM
I don't particularly rate him and I think he's at his absolute level in this division especially when you can afford to play him in role he played today.

For one of the few times this season our midfield wasn't harrased and with McDonald pulling the strings with Evans alongside it allowed Edwards to get forward and he took one of his chances. He does pop up with the odd goal but more often than not he just gets lost.

MichiganWolf
11-01-2014, 10:39 PM
Seems as though the formation suits him. He has been unsuccessful in a 442 this season, but todays 4141 allowed him to make runs all day. But he does not have the technical skill set to sit in the middle of a 442 or sit back in a 451. I think we have other players that can do what he did today if given the opportunnity to play that role. So he is not a versatile player, while we have seen McDonald, Jacobs, Henry and Price do well in multiple formations. Those are the types of player KJ seems to like and thats who I see being stalwarts for the club in the future. Edwards will make way for Evans on a long term basis IMO, but I hope he keeps playing like he did today. Competition breeds excellence and we cant have anybody feeling complacent on the squad.

dunstablewolf
12-01-2014, 11:32 AM
Would be interesting to see if he could make an out and out striker.

greystone16
12-01-2014, 12:35 PM
Worked his socks off,probably his best game this season,could possibly had another two with a bit of luck and effort but good shift.

dunstablewolf
15-01-2014, 02:36 PM
Looks like he is back from injury for Crawley game!

Great news

MichiganWolf
15-01-2014, 03:24 PM
Looks like he is back from injury for Crawley game!

Great news

Doherty, Price, and EEL all set to be back this weekend or next as well. If we can avoid other injuries, we should be able to field our best team w/in the month.