PDA

View Full Version : New striker

Tone_Loc
12-01-2014, 12:17 PM
Well... with Andy Carroll now back from injury (albeit not match fit yet) and Carlton Cole scoring again... what's everyone's thoughts regarding a new striker?

We all know that we still badly need a GOOD striker in the squad. But, as SuGo appear to be very habitual people... will we sit and watch Groundhog Day again and hence they will pay less urgent attention to the issue??

Also... with Carroll making his appearance we could be back to the scenario where any self-respecting GOOD striker won't want to watch a relegation scrap from the bench.

I hope not but those are my gut feelings.

Thoughts ?

OZHAMMER
12-01-2014, 12:35 PM
that's what i feared would happen tone... carroll returning, and cole and/or maiga scoring a couple just enough to make them think "oh, it's ok now".

a small part of me was hoping that andy wouldn't be fit until the day after the transfer window closed, just to be sure we got one in...

... having said that, we would probably have ended up with the roger johnson equivalent :/

Tone_Loc
12-01-2014, 12:43 PM
a small part of me was hoping that andy wouldn't be fit until the day after the transfer window closed, just to be sure we got one in...

Or perhaps (conspiracy theory here ;) )... he was brought back prematurely specifically for that??...

behrami_army
12-01-2014, 12:47 PM
We are in this mess because we have got no decent cover for carroll and i include carlton in that statement. If carroll picks up another knock and we dont bring in a quality striker we will be relegated and deservedly so.

mikeveep
12-01-2014, 12:51 PM
If the management is convinced that Andy Carroll is over his problems then we shouldn't go for a half hearted Carroll clone as back up.

We are ok with Maiga,Vaz Te and Cole in that role.

My long held point of view is that without the quality in Central midfield to support a conventional striker they will all disappoint. Is it a coincidence that Chamach is looking good at Crystal Palace? We wrote him off. He's scored 5 in 10 for them and looks a handful.

Get in better players than Diame,Cole and Nolan who offer very little in the creative role We looked better yesterday with the average Collison and Taylor in their place.

So if there is any money to spend get that Plan B going.

dagenhamJohn
12-01-2014, 12:57 PM
as far as Nolan's concerned i think he's having a bad year all round, it was his goals that made us look impressive in the Lge last season,

when Carroll is 100% fit and his mate sorts his head out we'll improve,
not particularly in the style of play but in the results category.

thomas_swe
12-01-2014, 05:42 PM
I actually prefer taylor on the pitch rather than nolan, and that says alot

i have no problem with neither diame nor collison, and i think noble is playing his best football yet this year.

having two proper wingers in jarvis and downing makes all the difference, stop playing central midfielders out of position, it doesn't work

dagenhamJohn
12-01-2014, 05:48 PM
Taylor had 1 decent game :)

if or when Nolan starts scoring again all sins will be forgiven god praise the chicken dance! ;D

Norfolkammer
12-01-2014, 07:25 PM
Taylor had 1 decent game :)

if or when Nolan starts scoring again all sins will be forgiven god praise the chicken dance! ;D

How F&%king fickle! One win and everything is OK!