PDA

View Full Version : David Bentley

DCFC1388
12-01-2014, 02:27 PM
Rumours are that we are in talks woth David Bentley who is a free agent about a deal til the end of the season.

What are peoples thoughts?

Personally i think he is better than both Davies and Coutts and he will also put quality balls into the box for martin to thrive on. He doesnt really have to pace to be a winger but Ward has lost his pace and also cant cross the ball so bentley would be a better and different option to ward. Maybe 433 with russell and dawkins wide with bentley to come on and change to 442 maybe?

Might be interesting to see if McClaren was england manager when bentley won his call ups

UpTheRams1884
12-01-2014, 03:16 PM
Might be interesting to see if McClaren was england manager when bentley won his call ups It was McClaren that gave him call up for England and it was against Israel sept 2007.

triz
12-01-2014, 03:31 PM
would he be happy with 5k a week? if not sack him off, he's nothing special.

DCFC1388
12-01-2014, 09:13 PM

Free agent since the summer so surely if he wants a club he isnt in a position to be demanding stupidly high wages. 5k is much more than the ammount he has been on for the past few months

Rapid
12-01-2014, 09:15 PM
Bentley is a very talented footballer but really hasn't got a good attitude for the game. he's gone from stardom at Blackburn to a failure. I'm not convinced he would do anything here apart from not do much and get released at the end of the season.

Manofpride
12-01-2014, 09:31 PM
This is a player I'd totally forgot about, he used to be a decent player. Just looked at wiki and it says he's 29, I'd have thought he was 35 at least. Anyway we wouldn't be able to pay his wages!

swaledale
12-01-2014, 10:30 PM
Nooooooooooo - had the talent for whatever reason he didnt progress, another lightwieght failed ex prem player is nt wahtw e need right now!

triz
12-01-2014, 10:49 PM
if he's a free agent then he can demand higher wages. I suspect he'd want over 10k tbh

HungaryRam
13-01-2014, 09:15 AM
He would definitely solve our frequent inability to beat the first man from free-kicks, but saying that one of the main strengths of this side is its endeavour and togetherness.. Would adding a big time charlie sort of player harm what we have in place?

Could be a major coup but I doubt there's any truth in it.

Also, can anyone see Ben Davies ever being involved again?

Rattea
13-01-2014, 10:20 AM
Yo me this is a player in the ilk of Derbyshire and useless Miller at Florest. Do we want to travel that road?

eamonnram
13-01-2014, 10:41 AM
If he still had anything to offer somebody would have snapped him up by now. No thanks

roger_ramjet
13-01-2014, 11:27 AM

Oh, SACK him off - I thought that was a very generous offer on first reading, Triz.

Rapid
13-01-2014, 11:49 AM
He would definitely solve our frequent inability to beat the first man from free-kicks

that's actually a very good point. we really are so poor from set piece delivery yet we've got some terrific headers of the ball, especially keane who could potentially score a hatful.

Gift_of_the_Gabb
13-01-2014, 12:44 PM
He would definitely solve our frequent inability to beat the first man from free-kicks

that's actually a very good point. we really are so poor from set piece delivery yet we've got some terrific headers of the ball, especially keane who could potentially score a hatful.[/quote]

Deffo, our set piece's are abysmal and they have been for several years now.

Bucko's good in the oppositions area, so is Keane, so we should really have a player capable of making the most of the attacking threat we do carry at set pieces.

As for Bentley supposedly he's been out of the game because he demands huge wages, QPR didn't take him because of his wage demands.

He was a cracking player at Blackburn, but is also a prima donna.

I would urge McClaren to steer clear unless his willing to play on seriously low wages and prove his attitude is up to scratch.

Manofpride
13-01-2014, 01:09 PM
Mac likes the guy though, he gave him his England call up. Also do you remember the story where Bentley was waiting for the call from Steve Mac and Robbie Savage called him before pretending to be the England manager, must have felt a right prat! XD

UpTheRams1884
13-01-2014, 02:39 PM
It's only rumour he ain't coming here anyway.

UpTheRams1884
13-01-2014, 05:48 PM
It's only rumour he ain't coming here anyway. @SNicholsonDT: Those asking about David Bentley to Derby rumours, nothing in it, I am told #dcfc #dcfcfans

RydeRam
13-01-2014, 08:00 PM
would not want that idiot at PP. He thought at one stage he was a shoe in for Beckham. Enjoyed the good life without the graft. He got found out at Spurs and has done sod all since. Leave the Prima Donna well alone