PDA

View Full Version : The league makes interesting reading

Hammerman69
13-01-2014, 10:44 AM
Its exciting that's for sure...the whole bottom half of the table are in danger of relegation really.

One interesting thing to note though is that Swansea are only 3 points above us and for all the possession they get in games and pretty attacking football, it has got them only one win further ahead than us...yes everyone in the media was talking Michael Laudrup up as if he was a god. They have missed Michu but they have Bony and Routledge and I think their squad is pretty strong. When I saw us draw there though I was less than impressed.

Same with a lot of journos thinking that we should replace our manager with Malky Mackay whose team (since he only just left) are now below us.

and then there is Palace...anyone who takes a penalty like Jason Puncheon doesn't deserve to win a game XD XD

So it will be a pretty exciting second half of the season.

rednekst
13-01-2014, 10:51 AM
Lets hope the second half of the season is a lot more exciting than the first half...as the first half was pretty dire really.

1Greeno
13-01-2014, 11:02 AM
Yes it really is two leagues now, with the occassional "smaller team" breaking into the top half (this year Southampton, last year West Brom/ Swansea).

9th place on 30 points
10th 23
20th 17

I think it will be exciting at the top and bottom of the "two leagues", but its hardly competitive between them.

PDGPaul
13-01-2014, 11:10 AM
Just picking up on your point about possession, I have taken to looking at the stats after most games now. It is amazing how often the winning team have the least possession. Swansea for example had something like 63 per cent in the first half against Man U but never really created anything.

Hammerman69
13-01-2014, 11:16 AM
Just picking up on your point about possession, I have taken to looking at the stats after most games now. It is amazing how often the winning team have the least possession. Swansea for example had something like 63 per cent in the first half against Man U but never really created anything.

Completely agree...you win games by being clinical. I was at Cardiff and they had a lot of shots that Adrian easily caught...we had a few less but always looked more dangerous.

Having an actual CB playing on Saturday made a massive difference, Hopefully with Carroll back fit soon (he is very unfit at the moment) and a bit of confidence we can push on.

I agree that there are two leagues though...a decent striker will make the difference between the two. Look at West Brom, they lose Lukaku and suddenly they are down the bottom after a great finish last year.

It makes it exciting as I don't think we will know who goes down until right at the en

WHU
13-01-2014, 11:19 AM
welcome back 69

were you on holiday last week?

tight as a du(ks ar5e down there, for sure

3 points for the win gives us a real fluctuation game

newcastle a big test in my book, cardiff didn't look as good as i feared they would be playing for a new manager

all about the 38 games

Hammerman69
13-01-2014, 11:24 AM
welcome back 69

newcastle a big test in my book, cardiff didn't look as good as i feared they would be playing for a new manager

all about the 38 games

No...was at Forest and Man City last week and was posting on here...why ?

BillyDWhizz
13-01-2014, 01:07 PM
The Newcastle game is massive. Fail to finally win two PL games in a row and we are right back where we started before the Cardiff game as I fully expect Sunderland to beat the scummers. If we do manage to win only then will I start to believe we may just be beginning to turn a corner.

WHU
13-01-2014, 02:28 PM
welcome back 69

all about the 38 games

No...was at Forest and Man City last week and was posting on here...why ?[/quote]

hadn't seen you around much mate but have been a bit sporadic myself

apparently i only keep repeating myself on one issue, according to some

will always applaud the regular home and aways, used to do it but would have a lot of resentment these days with the price of it and the downsizing on entertainment

you will remind me it's more about the fans and the day anyway most likely and it probably always was to a degree

RingoBingoDingo
13-01-2014, 02:42 PM
This thread is a fantastic exercise in stating the bloody obvious !

Still a win for the Appy Ammers at the weekend but your gonna get ripped apart by the toon this weekend. We are the 3rd best team in the league and are playing like the best team. You have no chance

A geordie will save you though when Big Andy is fit again and on form he is second too only Suarez

HWTL

Hammerman69
13-01-2014, 02:55 PM
welcome back 69

all about the 38 games

No...was at Forest and Man City last week and was posting on here...why ?[/quote]

hadn't seen you around much mate but have been a bit sporadic myself

apparently i only keep repeating myself on one issue, according to some

will always applaud the regular home and aways, used to do it but would have a lot of resentment these days with the price of it and the downsizing on entertainment

you will remind me it's more about the fans and the day anyway most likely and it probably always was to a degree[/quote]

Never get a chance to do the reports any more as work is a

Hammerman69
13-01-2014, 03:00 PM

Still a win for the Appy Ammers at the weekend but your gonna get ripped apart by the toon this weekend. We are the 3rd best team in the league and are playing like the best team. You have no chance

A geordie will save you though when Big Andy is fit again and on form he is second too only Suarez

HWTL

It is 'you're' by the way.

DEVONSPUR
13-01-2014, 03:09 PM

HWTL

It is 'you're' by the way.[/quote]

It is also "to" by the way, Bonny Lad!!
XD

Eggerts_Ears
13-01-2014, 03:11 PM
Still a win for the Appy Ammers at the weekend

Great, thanks for that.

What were you saying about stating the obvious?

bonzosbest74
13-01-2014, 05:20 PM
To be fair to Swansea they are competing in the UEFA Cup which always takes it's toll on smaller squads, I would be very happy if we had a trophy in the cabinet, three points more and had thrashed Valencia in Europe this season.

Hammerman69
13-01-2014, 05:26 PM
Fair point that the EL games have taken their toll

...but the trophy they won was last season and they are still in the **** !

PDGPaul
13-01-2014, 05:30 PM
Absolutely Bonzo , I admire the way they play and their achievements since getting into the top flight. Just using them as an example that possession stats do not seem to equate with results.

bonzosbest74
13-01-2014, 05:37 PM
It's their chairman (can't remember his), his philosophy & managerial appointments are bloody fantastic. That club have a very clear and consistent way of doing things, if Laudrup were to leave then another similar manager who could work with the scouts and coaches would slot in very easily. I wouldn't be at all surprised if they already know who their next manager is.

dagenhamJohn
13-01-2014, 05:39 PM

...but the trophy they won was last season and they are still in the **** !on another point fella, i have missed your away match appraisals,

almost a mini highlight really :)

so find the time or i'll find you!! >:) ;D

PDGPaul
13-01-2014, 05:42 PM
Very true, other clubs outside the top six would do well to follow their model.

Hammerman69
13-01-2014, 05:53 PM

...but the trophy they won was last season and they are still in the **** !on another point fella, i have missed your away match appraisals,

so find the time or i'll find you!! >:) ;D[/quote]

I have really struggled to find the time with work getting in the way plus this site not working for a while and not letting me log in.

If I get some time I'll see what I can do.

Hammerman69
13-01-2014, 05:56 PM
It's their chairman (can't remember his), his philosophy & managerial appointments are bloody fantastic. That club have a very clear and consistent way of doing things, if Laudrup were to leave then another similar manager who could work with the scouts and coaches would slot in very easily. I wouldn't be at all surprised if they already know who their next manager is.

Huw Jenkins...fair enough but they are STILL only 3 points above us so while it is obviously a well run club there is not much between us at present !

dagenhamJohn
13-01-2014, 05:57 PM

so find the time or i'll find you!! >:) ;D[/quote]

I have really struggled to find the time with work getting in the way plus this site not working for a while and not letting me log in.

If I get some time I'll see what I can do.[/quote]good, then consider yourself reprieved! :)

stay safe now
john.

bonzosbest74
13-01-2014, 06:04 PM

Huw Jenkins...fair enough but they are STILL only 3 points above us so while it is obviously a well run club there is not much between us at present ![/quote]

That's the bloke :)

Our wage bill is about 64m and theirs is 45m, bearing in mind the amount of games they've played the fact that a small club like that is above us at all is testament to how well they are doing.

Hammerman69
13-01-2014, 06:06 PM
Like I say...well run I do not doubt.

BUT purely on the pitch, they are not that much better than us (Just 1 win in fact), which I think is interesting.

AND...when we played them, I didn't think they were that attractive to watch either.

bonzosbest74
13-01-2014, 06:18 PM
The leagues like that this year though isn't it?

For all the talk of a crisis at ManU & how badly David Moyes is doing they are only 4 points off the Champions Lg places.

Passtheball
13-01-2014, 07:30 PM
Great point about Swansea appointments would love us to play like them and they get a few home grown to fit in to style of play. Should be following they're example once BFS era ends.

dagenhamJohn
13-01-2014, 08:00 PM
yep neat footie with a few relegation battles, can't wait :)

Passtheball
13-01-2014, 10:09 PM
And a cup and a nice little run in Europe in a new stadium:D

Lovely jubbly

Hammerman69
14-01-2014, 10:50 AM
And a cup and a nice little run in Europe in a new stadium:D

Lovely jubbly

MAYBE a cup but that is more a lottery about who you get on the way...we have got to two semis in 3 or 4 years so we are not far away but it really is a bit of the luck of the draw.

However, I do not really see what Swansea are doing this season that makes them so great...I went to the Liberty and they were hardly passing the ball around like Barcelona...in fact, Cardiff created more chances (albeit they were not very clinical) this week than Swansea did when we played them.

Imagine that we had got one win from one of the defeats...say the Everton or Fulham games...we would now be level on points with Swansea.

I think that is quite interesting...a few bad results and they could be in the bottom 3.

Its a crazy league this year for sure...

Agree with the Moyes comment...that is more about the fact that so many of their younger fans do not know what i

WHU
14-01-2014, 12:37 PM
don't be put off by the comments H69

with passion the tensions rise

better that than some clubs with fu(k all about them

as stated, a couple of wins/defeats either way, the whole thing changes very quickly

bonzosbest74
14-01-2014, 05:32 PM
don't be put off by the comments H69

Comments, what comments? Who's had a go at him?

Has that nasty 1491 returned?

Hammerman69
15-01-2014, 12:04 PM
I'm not put off, I just won't get into a slanging match WHU.

Anyway...lets see if we can get level with Swansea on Sat by beating the Geordies.