PDA

View Full Version : Do we need to bring in another keeper?

Crewe313
14-01-2014, 03:55 PM
I personally am more than happy with keeping with Ben in goal. The more experience the better. Joe Hart was playing for Shrewsbury week in week out in league 2 at a similar age and I think we should do the same with Ben.

However, I did like the look of Neil and he did have an excellent presence in goal but from the sounds of things he may not be available.

I think keep the faith Ben but what are other peoples thoughts?

AlexLeicester
14-01-2014, 04:39 PM
It's an interesting questions, especially as Ben has been doing so well, but there was a clear gap between Neil and Ben while Neil was with us. Ben will jump that chasm, but not yet.

I believe we need another front line 'keeper for two reasons: 1. Steve Phillips is out of, and Al Martin seems to not be in the running for a first 11; and 2. we are in a desperately poor place in the league and the team needs to be sure that the final backstop is going to keep the ball out of the net.

It's a confidence thing. We want the back four feeding the midfield, and the wingers feeding the attack. We do not want any of them spending more time than is necessary in protecting the 'keeper. Steve Phillips would have been great under this pressure: I just think it's too much for Ben or Al.

DGFG
14-01-2014, 06:30 PM
If he's as good as Etheridge looked and we're pretty sure of that before we sign him, yes.

Otherwise, no - I can see where Steve is coming from in trying to protect Ben but I bet Ben is desperate to play every week.

Crewe313
14-01-2014, 08:06 PM
I do agree that especially in our predicament a more experienced keeper may be necessary and I was impressed with Neil.

However you have to ask when is the right age fOr a keeper to get experience? You do only learn from playing regularly and we seem to be happy to give the outfield players a go at a young age.

My concern is that Ben may become a case owain fOn Williams and get frustrated with the lack of chances. Will he want to wait three more years or so to be a regular?

I think if Neil is available to the end of the season then we should get him or someone of his calibre. However next season I think we should make Ben our number on.