PDA

View Full Version : Well this ain't good news is it !?

kernow
15-01-2014, 08:10 AM
It had to happen eventually.
Ambitions bigger than deliverables. :blue: - view external link (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25736264)

PapaLazarou
15-01-2014, 08:43 AM
More posturing between Cortese & Katharina, perhaps ? Considering the original source for this information is a close contact of our Chairman, and bearing in mind the very similar press manipulation reports of some 6 months ago, it would certainly tick all the boxes.

Even if there was substance behind the reports, Cortese has taken this club from -10 points at the foot of L1 to a mid-table Premier League side in 5 years - wasn't that the plan ? If he was to leave, I'd be disappointed but it wouldn't be the end of our world - if part of this was the Liebherr's selling, then new buyers and backers would be sourced (seem to recall NC saying there was no shortage of serious investors interested in the club) and Cortese's & the family's honour to ML would no doubt ensure that the club was placed in good hands..

PapaLazarou
15-01-2014, 08:57 AM
Just on Solent - Cortese to weigh his future up over next few days because of broken promises and agreements not fulfilled by Katharina Liebherr and her representatives. Adam Blackmore understands that if Cortese walks, the Liebherr family will instruct someone to sell the club.

ozsaint1976
15-01-2014, 09:41 AM
It's all part of the rollercoaster! I have learnt over the last 45 years to take it as it comes.

Bottom of League 1 or 9th in the Prem,
Broke and in administration or flush with cash and buying players.

It really doesn't matter, what does matter is supporting the Saints O:) no matter what!

SFC till I die, Cortese or not! I'm still not sure these Newbies understand, its not a business its a religion.

PapaLazarou
15-01-2014, 09:52 AM
Adam Blackmore on Twitter: @bigadamsport Two likely outcomes to Cortese problem - he leaves, owners stick a chairman in & instruct someone to sell, or agreement signed for 2-3 yrs.

PapaLazarou
15-01-2014, 10:59 AM
[quote=Daily Echo]Nicola Cortese is on the brink of quitting Saints.

The Daily Echo has been told that the executive chairman has suffered an irretrievable breakdown in relations with the Liebherr estate who own the club.

In addition, sources close to the top of the club have today indicated that Cortese's departure could come within a matter of days rather than at the end of the season.

The reason for the breakdown revolves around still largely unresolved issues from when Cortese almost went in the summer.

Back then an interim agreement was struck over the future of the club, and Cortese's contract, which convinced both parties to agree a deal to keep the former Swiss banker at St Marys.

Discussions over a long term strategy for the club to replace the interim agreement have been ongoing but there appears to be some way between the two parties. That is prompting Cortese to again consider his future.

The Daily Echo has been told that even if the Liebherr's agreed to all of his pl

Pentridge
15-01-2014, 11:02 AM
Are there any other executives out there who could do an equal (or dare I say it, better) job?

chiswickmart
15-01-2014, 11:10 AM
Are there any other executives out there who could do an equal (or dare I say it, better) job?

Take your pick from any at Pompey over the last 5 years. I think they could do a wonderful job for you.

PapaLazarou
15-01-2014, 11:17 AM

Cortese has made no secret of the fact that he would like to own the club outright..

It may well be that this latest situation is being driven by differing opinions on a valuation for the club and, longer term, could prove to be a catalyst for the Liebherr's departure, rather than Cortese's..

Hammerman69
15-01-2014, 12:21 PM
These things happen in most businesses. Someone who effectively runs the business and does all the work suddenly realises that the owner above them is doing nothing but raking in the money...they then suddenly think hang on...

PapaLazarou
15-01-2014, 12:57 PM
Our situation is a bit more complicated than that, Hammerman..

Joffyw
15-01-2014, 01:09 PM
So are we looking at NC leaving which will potentially reduce the the clubs valuation slightly, meanwhile a new consortium pick up a bargain with NC waiting in the wings to pick up from where he left off perhaps :D

saintwayne
15-01-2014, 01:28 PM
Christ, never a dull moment supporting this club is there!

I agree with Ozsaints's post, as long as we have a club to support that's all that really matters, not too fussed about the rest. I probably enjoyed our stint in the lower leagues more than the PL, so if it all goes tits up so be it.

Interesting times ahead.

tumbles
15-01-2014, 01:53 PM
According to SSN Cortese has handed his notice in , which has been rejected by Katherina Liebherr.

Isnt this fun...

PapaLazarou
15-01-2014, 02:38 PM
According to SSN, Cortese has handed his notice in...

That would be contrary to what sources within SMS are saying, Tumbles..

tumbles
15-01-2014, 03:08 PM

That would be contrary to what sources within SMS are saying, Tumbles..[/quote]

Yea your right papa, fu cking SSN have changed the story three rimes, now they are saying his future is uncertain.

Think ill wait t'ill its all panned out. :/

Doctor_46
15-01-2014, 03:24 PM

That would be contrary to what sources within SMS are saying, Tumbles..[/quote]

Yea your right papa, fu cking SSN have changed the story three rimes, now they are saying his future is uncertain.

Think ill wait t'ill its all panned out. :/[/quote]

SSN have also said Ms. Liebherr wants to sell so if that's the case, can't Nicola get some buddies together and put a bid in. Everybody wins.

ShottermillSaint
15-01-2014, 05:12 PM
This just shows the where football is these days, the chairman threatens to resign and it's headline news.
The Liebherrs were also going to sell up at some point and this summer will be the 5th anniversary of Markus buying the club. Maybe when he bought us he budgeted for this period and now he's no longer with us his family have taken a purely business decision to sell up when the club is possibly at it's highest value to them.
It's possible that NC has asked for more money and been turned down hence his decision. It will be a shame if he leaves as whatever your opinion of him and his methods as he along with the backing of the Liebherr family have turned this club around making it a much more attractive investment opportunity than when they took over.
Should be an interesting time over the next few months

saint_martin
15-01-2014, 05:39 PM
SSN have also said Ms. Liebherr wants to sell so if that's the case, can't Nicola get some buddies together and put a bid in. Everybody wins.

NC did say before that he had backers lined up should the Liebherr's decide to sell, I'm hoping thats still the case.

Doctor_46
15-01-2014, 05:58 PM

NC did say before that he had backers lined up should the Liebherr's decide to sell, I'm hoping thats still the case.[/quote]

TalkSport mentioned about 30ish minutes ago that Poch and company just showed up to the stadium, predictably to talk to Cortese.

Suppose the Liebherrs want to sell and Cortese leaves. If Pochettino stays I'd predict that Cortese is lining up new buyers and he makes a promise to Poch, and in his best Arnold Schwarzenegger voice says, "I'll be back."

K5054
15-01-2014, 05:59 PM
Whatever the media says whether it be SSN, The Echo or the daily papers we won't really know for definite what's going on until it happens. I for one wouldn't want NC to leave or for the Leibherrs to pull out but we are an attractive club for anyone that may be interested so it may not be all doom and gloom. At the end of the day Southampton is my club and I'll follow them no matter what.

Doctor_46
15-01-2014, 06:25 PM
Oy Vay - view external link (www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/25752833)

Dirtyweasel
15-01-2014, 07:01 PM
In KL we trust :heart:

(For a short while).

PapaLazarou
15-01-2014, 07:02 PM
According to Solent, the Liebherrs have accepted Cortese's resignation.

Statement expected later on the OS.

saint_martin
15-01-2014, 07:07 PM
I think this will all blow over in a few days.:s

NC is just trying to get the funds to spend big in the transfer window, and KL isn't having any of it.

Most of whats being reported will be speculation.

saintwayne
15-01-2014, 07:08 PM
Confirmed on SSN. Cortese has gone and Katharina Liebherr has made herself chairman. :O

PapaLazarou
15-01-2014, 07:09 PM
And now confirmed on club's twitter feed as well.

PapaLazarou
15-01-2014, 07:11 PM

NC is just trying to get the funds to spend big in the transfer window, and KL isn't having any of it.

No, no and no..

Pentridge
15-01-2014, 07:13 PM
Onwards and upwards. - view external link (http://www.saintsfc.co.uk/news/article/southampton-fc-appointment-of-chairman-1296942.aspx)

Dirtyweasel
15-01-2014, 07:13 PM
I'm looking forward to her first "Let's be 'avin ya" moment on the pitch with a microphone B)

saint_martin
15-01-2014, 07:14 PM

No, no and no..[/quote]

Wishful thinking, NC was doing a fantastic job IMO, I'm really disappointed to see him go. I loved his work ethic and attention to detail.

harvey_7
15-01-2014, 07:14 PM
Well he's left, club statement on OS :(!

I can see Pochettino following too :/

ShottermillSaint
15-01-2014, 07:16 PM
Is there a book of condolence for me to put some bedwetting style remarks yet?
I sure i can hear whoops of delight coming from the Reading and Newcastle areas
Tomorrows pre match press conference should be interesting

ponytamer
15-01-2014, 07:17 PM
And it begins XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD

ShottermillSaint
15-01-2014, 07:19 PM
Well he's left, club statement on OS :(!

I can see Pochettino following too :/

We shall see, plenty of speculation on SW but he and others are employed by Southampton FC, not Nicola Cortese FC

Pentridge
15-01-2014, 07:20 PM

What the Mong invasion of this board?

You appear to be spearheading it.

Dirtyweasel
15-01-2014, 07:22 PM

You appear to be spearheading it.[/quote]

If you went into battle, wouldn't you want (Romseys) Rambo leading the way?

Pentridge
15-01-2014, 07:28 PM

You appear to be spearheading it.[/quote]

If you went into battle, wouldn't you want (Romseys) Rambo leading the way?[/quote]

As cannon fodder yes.

I've rather have Ariel Sharon tbf though...

Grannie64
15-01-2014, 07:30 PM
It's a shame that Nicola has made the decision to leave, but the club is greater than anyone person, hopefully MP will see his contract out and KL makes money available if needed. Let's see were we are at the end of the season. Then hopefully things will have settled, and we will know were the club stands.

saintwayne
15-01-2014, 07:32 PM
So can we now expect more of a public profile from Ms. Liebherr? I mean we don't even know what she looks like!

Dirtyweasel
15-01-2014, 07:37 PM
I'm more interested in what the players have to say about him without the fear of his recrimination. Interesting times ahead.

Brockley_Jack
15-01-2014, 08:34 PM
If he handed in his notice 3 months ago and it has now taken effect then of course there will be a contingency plan in place. Nothing to panic about here, ignore the skrillbound fish fiddlers and carry on!

As one door shuts another opens, I await with intrigue.

kernow
15-01-2014, 08:56 PM
A return to uncertainty is a certainty.

tumbles
15-01-2014, 09:09 PM
If he handed in his notice 3 months ago and it has now taken effect then of course there will be a contingency plan in place. Nothing to panic about here, ignore the skrillbound fish fiddlers and carry on!

As one door shuts another opens, I await with intrigue.

I agree, B) its not as though we're in administration is it !

The mans gone, and who's to say he won't be back at some point.

Cortese had a vision, but going cap in hand to KL everytime he needed investment was always going to be a problem.

Marcus also had a vision for this club, whether it was to get SFC into the premier league, and then sell up i dont know.
If it was to establish the club as a major player, then there is clearly more work to be done.
My view is that KL will honour her dads wishes whatever they were, if thats already been achieved, then selling up makes sense.

I expect her to be around for some time yet.

Dirtyweasel
15-01-2014, 09:13 PM
The really sad bi-product of this situation is that it's presented Mike O'Callaghan an opportunity to speak to the Sky camera's outside SMS - again :blue:

He doesn't speak for me, and I wonder how long before he's campaigning for Saints fans to show their support for, er, well even he doesn't know, by waving hankies at the next home game. That little gem worked so well at the Everton game following Adkins departure XD XD XD

BilltheCat
15-01-2014, 11:45 PM

Really, Turdbles?

I expect her to start getting her family's money out ASAP.

tumbles
16-01-2014, 12:37 PM

Really, Turdbles?

I expect her to start getting her family's money out ASAP.[/quote]

Of course you do ! :? ...

... **** !

RICKYwillTAKEusUP
16-01-2014, 02:34 PM
"The players bought into his vision, wholeheartedly. So much so, that at least one leading Southampton player has a clause in his contract that links his own future to Cortese's. The worst case scenario for the club is that manager follows chairman and players follow manager."

From the BBC Cortese article - I'd like to know how on earth they know this (source) and if it isn't bullsh1t as I suspect it is, who this player is?

Pentridge
16-01-2014, 02:37 PM
[quote="RICKYwillTAKEusUP"

From the BBC Cortese article - I'd like to know how on earth they know this (source) and if it isn't bullsh1t as I suspect it is, who this player is?[/quote]

Hopefully Fox...

PapaLazarou
16-01-2014, 02:43 PM
From the BBC Cortese article - I'd like to know how on earth they know this (source) and if it isn't bullsh1t as I suspect it is, who this player is?

Hopefully Fox...[/quote]

It's Shaw's that's been linked to that particular article..

Don't buy it, personally..

CostaBaz
16-01-2014, 02:54 PM
[quote="RICKYwillTAKEusUP"

From the BBC Cortese article - I'd like to know how on earth they know this (source) and if it isn't bullsh1t as I suspect it is, who this player is?[/quote]

If any player has such a clause in his contract, my money would be on Lovren, who gave up a Champions League place to join us. Wanyama, ditto and also because of the way his transfer dragged on. Or Osvaldo, because...

Pentridge
16-01-2014, 03:04 PM
Press conference due imminently. - view external link (http://www.youtube.com/SouthamptonFC)

PapaLazarou
16-01-2014, 03:17 PM
Was 4 minutes late when you posted that - it's now more than 15 minutes delayed..

Alex Crook tweeting that MP still in talks with KL..

PapaLazarou
16-01-2014, 03:19 PM
Mauricio Pochettino: "I am staying as #SaintsFC manager. I have a professional responsibility to everyone at the Club and the fans."

PapaLazarou
16-01-2014, 03:20 PM
Ahead of his press conference, Mauricio Pochettino tells Saints Player that he is "100% committed" to #SaintsFC.

Pentridge
16-01-2014, 03:21 PM
Beat me to it Paps.

PapaLazarou
16-01-2014, 03:33 PM
MP: a??I am fully committed to these players, to the staff and to these supporters. It would make no sense to leave this path.a?? #saintsfc

PapaLazarou
16-01-2014, 03:33 PM
MP: I spoke [with the chairman] for five minutes before the press conference. She transmitted her trust and support to me.

PapaLazarou
16-01-2014, 03:34 PM
MP: She showed her support not only to me, but to all of my staff and everyone at the Club

PapaLazarou
16-01-2014, 03:34 PM
MP: Ita??s clear that I have a good relationship with Nicola. He agrees with my decision to stay.

PapaLazarou
16-01-2014, 03:35 PM
MP: Nicola asked me for only one thing a?? to try to win on Saturday.

PapaLazarou
16-01-2014, 03:35 PM
Mauricio Pochettino says he is unaware of any bids for Luke Shaw.

PapaLazarou
16-01-2014, 03:36 PM
MP says he knew nothing about NC's departure and it came as a big surprise..

PapaLazarou
16-01-2014, 03:39 PM
MP: I have spoken with the players and staff and we are all sad about the departure of Mr Cortese.

PapaLazarou
16-01-2014, 03:40 PM
MP: Ia??d also like to highlight that, when Nicola offered me my contract, the only thing he said was to be 100% professional.

PapaLazarou
16-01-2014, 03:42 PM
MP: Katharina assures me that we have her full support and that she wants the club to be stable.

PapaLazarou
16-01-2014, 03:43 PM
MP: Too soon to talk about potential offers (or who would deal with them) but I want to make one thing very clear - my viewpoint hasn't changed and that is no one at Southampton is for sale and no one I don't want to leave will leave this club.

PapaLazarou
16-01-2014, 03:47 PM
MP: Focus very much on the remainder of the season..

[..press conference moves on to questions about Saturday's match..]

Pentridge
16-01-2014, 03:48 PM
Happy with that.

PapaLazarou
16-01-2014, 03:52 PM
All very positive..

If I was going to pick anything negative to dwell upon, it was that MP focused a couple of times on 'the end of the season'.

Maybe that's an indication that he's planning an exit in the summer; maybe that's when his contract is up for renewal and he doesn't want to appear presumptuous. Time will tell.

For now though, it looks like business as usual..

Southerndown
16-01-2014, 03:52 PM
MP says he knew nothing about NC's departure and it came as a big surprise.

Don't you find that a bit strange?

PapaLazarou
16-01-2014, 03:53 PM
Why don't you ask MP ?

Southerndown
16-01-2014, 03:56 PM
Why don't you ask MP ?

Oh ok, don't worry I'll give him a call.

Soupytwist
16-01-2014, 03:57 PM
All sounds a bit reminiscent of good old 'Arry saying that he would 'Never go up the road to that club', before he, er, did!

souths1
16-01-2014, 03:58 PM
That was a load of old tosh! Bill's already told us KL is offski with her money, he can't be full of bitter shiote can he?O:)

PapaLazarou
16-01-2014, 04:01 PM
All sounds a bit reminiscent of good old 'Arry saying that he would 'Never go up the road to that club', before he, er, did!

Not really.

MP chose his words carefully, confirmed that he has a professional responsibility to the club and its supporters and refused to be drawn on anything beyond the end of the season.

BilltheCat
16-01-2014, 08:04 PM
MP chose his words carefully, confirmed that he has a professional responsibility to the club and its supporters and refused to be drawn on anything beyond the end of the season.

Which has absolutely f@ck all to do with the Liebherr's extracting their dosh from The New Skip.

Seen it all before, scummers.

PapaLazarou
16-01-2014, 08:36 PM
Seen it all before, scummers.

No, you haven't.

proclaimer
16-01-2014, 08:41 PM
Said what he needed to say. At least he spiked the media's phase 2 meltdown story.

CostaBaz
16-01-2014, 09:37 PM
MP: Too soon to talk about potential offers (or who would deal with them) but I want to make one thing very clear - my viewpoint hasn't changed and that is no one at Southampton is for sale and no one I don't want to leave will leave this club.

Just hoping this comment isn't his get out of jail free card, should she now force him to sell players.

Soupytwist
16-01-2014, 10:11 PM

Not really.

MP chose his words carefully, confirmed that he has a professional responsibility to the club and its supporters and refused to be drawn on anything beyond the end of the season.[/quote]

Yep...while leaving in a few subtle "get out" clauses..pretty much as 'Arry did!

proclaimer
16-01-2014, 11:13 PM

Not really.

MP chose his words carefully, confirmed that he has a professional responsibility to the club and its supporters and refused to be drawn on anything beyond the end of the season.[/quote]

Yep...while leaving in a few subtle "get out" clauses..pretty much as 'Arry did![/quote]

Don't think MP deserves to be compared with Saggy Chops. For a start one has an interpreter while the other has 'Rosie'. >;)

PapaLazarou
17-01-2014, 07:36 AM
Yep...while leaving in a few subtle "get out" clauses..pretty much as 'Arry did!

As comparisons go, that's about as tenuous as you can get..

Hammerman69
17-01-2014, 05:06 PM

As comparisons go, that's about as tenuous as you can get..[/quote]

I think it is just that he doesn't know who the owners will be in the summer.

For me that is all that statement really says about MP but it does really say that the owner is probably selling.

Hope it all works well for you...If you DO change your owners, chairman and manager...PLEASE change the size of your program for next season (Assuming we are still in your division) ;D
Change might also mean I don't get soaked and see a draw in the pissing rain for the third year running :D

Seriously though...Good luck, I like the Saints and hope this is just a small bump rather than a big problem.

kernow
19-01-2014, 10:59 AM
Well as the dust starts to settle following the sudden and surprising, although not unexpected, recent upheaval, time for a brief reflection upon on what is past and to think about what the future holds.

So it seems as though the Liebherr family may want to cash in. This has long been expected. It's also understandable that Mr Cortese should see his position as untenable without the continuing freedom to do what he thinks is right. It has long been this fan's opinion that the apparent lack of accountability would not continue and that something would eventually give. There was only ever going to be one winner.

Nicola Cortese's legacy is positive and he leaves Saints in a far stronger position than when he found them. I thank him for that.

The future ? Who knows ? Wait and see.

I want to be in that number,
When the Saints go marching in. O:)

Brockley_Jack
19-01-2014, 01:31 PM

As comparisons go, that's about as tenuous as you can get..[/quote]

I think it is just that he doesn't know who the owners will be in the summer.

For me that is all that statement really says about MP but it does really say that the owner is probably selling.

Hope it all works well for you...If you DO change your owners, chairman and manager...PLEASE change the size of your program for next season (Assuming we are still in your division) ;D
Change might also mean I don't get soaked and see a draw in the pissing rain for the third year running :D

Seriously though...Good luck, I like the Saints and hope this is just a small bump rather than a big problem.[/quote]

As long as you don't put 4 past us again at the hooferdome I can live with that!