PDA

View Full Version : great expectations

Cb0891
15-01-2014, 12:11 PM
Well its been a rollercoaster season so far and finally we are on the up and uwe is doing a brilliant job. So what are our expectations for the rest of the season. Do we really want promotion straight away which means a lot of big spending to keep us up due to the age of the squad and quality or would another 12 months in championship actually do us good and give rosler time to build a strong team and really put his mark on the team. The only thing that worries me if we dont go up is the crowds will dwindle even more meaning less money coming in. If we dont go up this season I can see us going up as champs next year. So whats everyones thoughts on this?

WhoRYa
15-01-2014, 01:35 PM
Early indicationso f Rosler are as promosing as they weren't good under Coyle
I think it's come too late to aim for an automatic promotion place but there is no reason why the team can't be seen as a realistic prospect to go up via the play offs.
Would I take that? Yes. Are latics ready for it? At this present moment no but I think Latics need to get up as soon as possible.
To do it this year would need some significant squad investment but this season we still have plenty of players of premier league quality (Al Habsi, Ramis, McArthur, Maloney etc..) who are still under contract so it's not as many as you think. Others like Beausejour may be more tempted to stay if the club goes straight back up.
12 months down the line if we don't go up, Rosler may well have built his own squad but a lot of those currently under contract may well have allowed their deals to run down & so building a squad for the premier league may actually be harder.
I think the longer Latics are out of the top flig

trent_wigan
15-01-2014, 01:38 PM
My choice would be for sustained run of wins to get us in the play-off mix, finishing 3rd or 4th, then to lose a close game at Wembley. Couldn't get to Wembley this year. When I booked my hols I never imagined that we would reach the final of the FA cup. Next season to be in an automatic promotion place all season. I don't think we will suffer from a fall off in gates as a winning team will always attract crowds.

Anubis_wafc
15-01-2014, 01:48 PM
I think yon Coyle has done the damage but there are plenty of games left to make it to the play offs easily. I personally would like another year in the championship and dish out some heavy thumpings to so called bigger teams.

But if Yon SDW wants to get back to the Champagne league and is willing to back the manager and trusts his footballing philosophy I think we could be mid table. Brentford have continued his work by the looks of it and are flying so the same ideas with better players...

I think we need to get up this year to keep the core of the team together.

Depending on the team Sports Direct model Tony Pullis puts out agin' us this could be our stiffest test yet. I'm sure Uwe would love a 'Prem' scalp. This could be an

Last night was the first time we went behind under Uwe and I was wondering how he would deal with this, he saw what needed changing and changed it, and although our bench was stronger than their starting 11 it was down to the manager to make the changes.

M

billboy1949
15-01-2014, 06:42 PM
The appointment of Coyle was a major mistake by DW. But the shrewd man he is, came to his senses. Lets not get carried away with results of late,the appointment of UR was a master stroke and results have proved it. But most of the goals have come from a loan player,a great one at that,the need for a proven striker remains,but performances have given us the belief again.
UWe Uwe UWe

wigwham
15-01-2014, 08:07 PM
Trouble is,if we cant back to the Prem this season.
There'll be three clubs joining the Championship next season all with far wealthier owners than DW a much bigger income ie no of supporters,ticket price's and general income than us.
Plus I think all will try to keep their playing squads and spend heavily in an effort to go straight back up.
Having said that Burnleh doing very well and fair play to um, whether they can maintain their position at the top until May is another matter.? >:)

tommy_wafc
15-01-2014, 10:13 PM
Promotion this season is ideal if we can achieve it.

We still have a number of solid Premier League standard players on the book and would get 70m in revenue, to strengthen well.

Our final season in the Premier League we got 45m in TV money, this current season it jumped up dramatically.

Even if we went up and went down, the parachute payments are much higher and over 4 years rather than the current 3. We would be financial set up for 5 years without having to sell off our assets.

If we don't get promoted, we will no doubt lose some key players, through contracts not being renewed or selling players and we'll have a weaker squad next season, making things harder.

The 3 teams relegated will get huge parachute payments, so they can spend big to get promoted straight back up.

The FFP will also see teams with big crowds have an extra few million budget than us, which can make a big difference in The Championship.

Each season we stay down, the task to return to the Premier League bec

tommy_wafc
15-01-2014, 10:17 PM
[quote="WhoRYa"]Early indicationso f Rosler are as promosing as they weren't good under Coyle
I think it's come too late to aim for an automatic promotion place but there is no reason why the team can't be seen as a realistic prospect to go up via the play offs.
Would I take that? Yes. Are latics ready for it? At this present moment no but I think Latics need to get up as soon as possible.
To do it this year would need some significant squad investment but this season we still have plenty of players of premier league quality (Al Habsi, Ramis, McArthur, Maloney etc..) who are still under contract so it's not as many as you think. Others like Beausejour may be more tempted to stay if the club goes straight back up.
12 months down the line if we don't go up, Rosler may well have built his own squad but a lot of those currently under contract may well have allowed their deals to run down & so building a squad for the premier league may actually be harder.
I thi