PDA

View Full Version : Richard Offiong

goldschmidt
15-01-2014, 07:14 PM
Arguably the worst player in our history, he's signed for Durham City, same league as Celtic Nation. They play at Gilford Park on Saturday. - view external link (http://www.durhamcityafc.com/news/details.php?news_id=9605#news)

MillerforScotland
15-01-2014, 08:36 PM
Maybe he was one of our worst ever signings, or (and heres a little bit of controversy) was he yet another player wasted by being played in completely the wrong role?
I remember him starting up top on his own in a JPT game v. Crewe. This role was totally alien to him and he had a complete nightmare.
He was hauled off early in the 2nd half and we immediately went to 4~4~2 (which would have suited Offing much better) It was almost as If Abbott wanted to hang him out to dry that night!
As with several others (ie Bedford & Miller) maybe they all require strike partners?
Maybe, just maybe, its the system that is wrong and not the players?
I realise in Offiongs case, this is a long shot, but we do seem to have an unhappy knack of making half decent players, look absolute dross!!

melbourneblues
15-01-2014, 09:19 PM
Certainly Beckford had a hard task, coming in on loan and getting lumped up front on his own, yet another player deemed not good enough by our expert supporters, didn't do too bad when he left us.
And I admire the way he never celebrated his goals even after getting grief of our expert supporters,i would have ran along the length of the paddock with my fingers up.

BOBATON
16-01-2014, 12:10 AM
It was a bit strange when he scored against us for Leeds and he didn't celebrate even though he had only been on loan to us for only a month.
I saw him score for Bolton against Leicester (another former club) a couple of weeks ago and he didn't hold back the celebrations then.

HedgehogsTeeth
16-01-2014, 01:19 AM
It will be interesting to see how Offiong fares against Murphy, if Offiong bags loads of goals then we were wrong to let him go and right to let Murphy go, if Murphy has him in his pocket the whole game (which I recokon will happen) then no way we should have let him go ;)

nobbyblue
16-01-2014, 08:08 AM
"I realise in Offiongs case, this is a long shot, but we do seem to have an unhappy knack of making half decent players, look absolute dross!!"

Aye's he's really set the world a light since he left!

CockneyCluedup
16-01-2014, 11:29 AM
Didn't Olivier Bernard (Ex-Barcode) buy Durham City a few weeks back?

dalmationblue
16-01-2014, 11:51 AM
Offiong, Cadamatri, Edward's 3 wonder signings made by Russ. Last I heard of Offiong he was sweeping South Shield's metro station...;D

MillerforScotland
16-01-2014, 11:59 AM
Nobby, my post was highlighting the possibility that Offiong among quite a few others MAY have been used incorrectly during their time at the club.
What Offiong career has done since he left B.P. is of no consequence to me.
I just feel decent money went out of the club and the asset was improperly used.

Markovitch
16-01-2014, 01:47 PM
He looked on paper a good signing though, goal every other game playing for Hamilton in the SPL. And yet so spectacularly bad, released by Gateshead. Wonder why he went so wrong, didn'the go to study law?

thetashkentterror
16-01-2014, 06:25 PM
Quite, I'd say Cadamarteri was a worse signing than Offiong.

While Offiong did cost money at least he had a reasonable goalscoring record and clear injury record when we signed him. No-one could have predicted he would, like he seemed to, completely lose the heart required to play professionally.

Cadamarteri on the other hand had both an appalling goalscoring and injury record going back a long time and it was 100% predictable what would happen. He'll also have cost us a lot of money in medical fees so far. 228 starts in 17.5 years since he made his first team debut says it all.

dalmationblue
17-01-2014, 12:44 PM
Russ must have had his head up his arris when signing him on.Or was bestest buddie's with Cadamatri's agent. nudge nudge wink wink...;)