PDA

View Full Version : Darren Smith to leave AFC

Wilbo87
16-01-2014, 02:52 PM
Darren Smith has made himself available for transfer.

What is everyone's thoughts on this?

I thought began the season very well but his form decreased and he lost his place in the starting line up. I think Kevin Nicoll will do very well in centre midfield with his height and fight to win the ball.

smokie_bacon_crisps
16-01-2014, 03:25 PM
I'm a little surprised as I thought Darren has been one of most consistent players when he has played. His goal against ICT was a screamer and he marked Nicky Law beautifully at Ibrox, but surely the gaffer knew we were lacking height in midfield at the start of the season.

If Darren and Sibby do leave and then Doris and Donaldson coming to the end of their loans it's critical we use our last 2 loan signings now. I know the gagger has said he wants to keep them for emergencies later in the season but if we don't act now the emergency will be over and it will have turned into a murder enquiry.

The transfer market is fully active now and players being made available at all different levels. I have faith there will be new faces in, but a striker or two surely has to be number one priority.

Smokies and Wine

timlichtie
16-01-2014, 03:37 PM
That's really bad news. I thought he was very promising in the early part of the season and was really surprised when he wasn't making the starting line up of late. We badly need creative midfielders especially with PS running out of puff.

Players asking away is indicative of poor morale in the dressing room. We need some good news, urgently.

smokie_bacon_crisps
16-01-2014, 04:24 PM
I think you are way off on the poor morale. By all accounts it seems like all the players get on really well and know they can get out of this spot.

I think it's probably Darren coming to the end of his career will be wanting to play week in and week out, something that maybe isn't a certainty with the signing of Kevin Nicoll.

AFC1320
16-01-2014, 07:48 PM
Really surprised at this as I thought Darren Smith was a really quality player and I like others was really surprised he has not been in the starting XI lately.

He was very tidy on the ball and one of our best passers of the ball.

Bad move letting him go imo.

runter73
18-01-2014, 02:28 PM
Not been online for a week and was suprised when I read this, he is a quality player who plays football the way I thought we were aiming for...he rarely gives the ball away and always looks to have time on the ball.

Dont really buy the lacks height arguement, we try and play football we are not Forfar :)

theweesausage
19-01-2014, 08:22 PM
It said in the paper that he's leaving as he has a new job and can't commit to training and Saturdays if that's correct I totally understand and wish him well