PDA

View Full Version : New signing.

postmanpete
17-01-2014, 01:06 PM
19 year old Aston Villa forward Michael Drennan on a one month loan deal.

Piglet_Phoenix
17-01-2014, 02:23 PM
Might be a good signing, he certainly has a good goal scoring record at Premier League youth and Reserve Team levels.

Anybody who can increase our threat in front of goal is a welcome addition to the team in my view. Hopefully we won't just stick him upfront alone and lump long balls forward towards him, but give him some assistance upfront. Persoanlly I'd like to see him upfront alongside Beck.

One thing that is undeniable this season is that we don't score enough goals. We don't shoot enough (our shots / shots on target stats are miserably low).

We also don't create enough (top of our assists table are Robson and Berrett with three assists each from 20 and 21 starts each respectively). The statistics tell you that we really miss McGovern in terms of assists - and that we also badly need some more creative input from the midfield.

Notwithstanding this we also clearly need a goalkeeper, with Fleming we may as well start each game on minus two goals. However, trying to improve our g

rorys_guitar
17-01-2014, 06:06 PM
At last Grant Holt has done something for us; I'd assume that his move to Villa helped make Drennan available.

Flatcap
18-01-2014, 10:44 AM
3 assists from Berrett is piss poor considering he takes most of the set pieces.

Piglet_Phoenix
18-01-2014, 11:33 AM
I'd agree with you Flatcap, and also note that for a club of our size and resource we don't utilise set piece situations anywhere near as much as we should.

The thing is, as poor a return as players like Robson and Berrett give you - at the minute we still have to play them in the absence of anything better. From the other midfielders, Noble has one assist in twenty games (although he does have three goals to mitigate this, Amoo has one assist (again his goals partially excuse this) in twenty-two starts, Thirlwell has one assist in twenty-one starts and Buaben has no assists in nine.

Lawrence might be excused also with his one assist and three goals in six starts, compared to our other players this is a way above average return.

Another thing the statistics tell you (which doesn't reflect especially well on the coaching and management of the club) is that we concede most of our goals in the last half hour of games - which suggests fitness of our players is a problem (and that our su