PDA

View Full Version : Chairman & Owner

harvey_7
17-01-2014, 04:03 PM
I am abit confused at what the difference is between these two occupations.
I mean what does the chairman do that the owner doesn't & what does the owner do that the chairman doesn't?

PapaLazarou
17-01-2014, 04:49 PM
A Chairman is the head of a board of directors.

A Chief Executive Officer is responsible for the day-to-day running of a company.

The two positions can be merged into a single role - Executive Chairman - which, simplistically, provides one person with the power and influence to control pretty much everything associated with that company.

Markus Liebherr purchased Southampton Football Club (outright) in 2009 and, in doing so, became its owner. Markus subsequently appointed Nicola Cortese as Executive Chairman of the club. In doing so, Markus effectively handed over complete control of the running of his club to Cortese.

If recent rumours are to be believed, KL (who inherited ownership following her father's death) had become keen to remove some of that power from Cortese. This has been mooted as being one of the main reasons behind their disagreement.

proclaimer
17-01-2014, 05:24 PM
Given both have business backgrounds Papa in that scenario would it be right to assume the CEO would be responsible for appointing people to operate the function that the company operates in - e.g. football.

In some industries the CEO is also an expert in the function of the company. Perhaps an opening for a football CEO ??

ShottermillSaint
17-01-2014, 05:41 PM
Im sure this has already been said but i think NC will be back heading a takeover bid by the summer.
The rumours about Dalian Atkinson or whatever their is seem plausible seeing as they own Sunseeker who already have dealt with NC and sponsor the club

proclaimer
17-01-2014, 05:47 PM
That is certainly a rumour although I wonder if there would be a will to do business between the owners are NC directly? Maybe via another route? IMO it's a better option than selling to the highest bidder but not as attractive as simply replacing the CEO and everything remains the same.

Knowing the way the FA work they would probably make NC take a FAPPT. XD XD