PDA

View Full Version : Queens 1-0 Raith (McShane) ... upto 6th with game in hand!

Dariusz
18-01-2014, 05:12 PM
Things starting to look up. Wasnt able to get to game today. Deserved win?

Edit: Just relooking at the table. If we happened to win our game in hand, we'd be in a play off spot! Who'd have thought it!?

aloreburn
18-01-2014, 05:27 PM
Respect when it's due . Our first back to back victories of the season and we're right in the mix .

Where's all those calling for McIntyre's head tonight then ??

It's a marathon not a sprint remember . Still plenty to play for :)

jzee
18-01-2014, 05:50 PM
Bit of a strange game today, we got the result but Raith will feel hard done by. Defence and goalie performed well but midfield struggled especially second half. Really good team goal with quick incisive passing was highlight of the day.
Got to pass comment on officials who I thought were very poor missing lots of obvious decisions and not protecting players either,

middleagedirtbag
18-01-2014, 06:47 PM
"Got to pass comment on officials who I thought were very poor missing lots of obvious decisions and not protecting players either,"
Can't see where you are coming from personally as I found nothing today to get my dander up regarding the officials.
These guys today were miles better than some of the clowns we have had refereeing previously.
Regarding the game and goal I do agree though!

deek5trans
18-01-2014, 06:57 PM
Respect when it's due . Our first back to back victories of the season and we're right in the mix .

You weren't gloating when we were losing?

We have been playing for most of the season a system which see's us struggle, players out of position and players who should be playing dropped.

You might want to ask where could we have been?

442, strongest squad and two back to back wins. Enough said.

TOSHSON
18-01-2014, 06:58 PM
Paul Burns a big miss today, thought that apart from scoring the goal ,McShane was found wanting in the middle of the park. No commitment in the tackle ,a few times just turning his back on a 50/50 ball. A good job McKenna was up for the cause as usual. He broke down many a Raith move .Also thought that Gav was defending from the front again ,a really good display from the front man!

Tam_o_Terregles
18-01-2014, 07:16 PM
Paul Burns a big miss today, thought that apart from scoring the goal ,McShane was found wanting in the middle of the park. No commitment in the tackle ,a few times just turning his back on a 50/50 ball. A good job McKenna was up for the cause as usual. He broke down many a Raith move .Also thought that Gav was defending from the front again ,a really good display from the front man!

Agree 100%. I was very disappointed that Burnsy wasn't playing today - he was a standout last week; I assume he is injured/unwell.
Elliot was a handful but Durnan did his best. Apart from the lad nearly breaking the post with a terrific shot, I don't recall too many chances for them.
I thought the ultra deep defending was going to get us in the second half. I suppose we did to Rovers what they did to us last time at Palmerston.:D

qosdreamer
18-01-2014, 10:39 PM
A hard fought 3 points without the fluidity of last week.Like others have said we missed Burns's contribution of last week.McShane scored a nice goal but his touch was poor today and he fell out of the game.He needs to have confidence in himself and work on his tackling and influence on the game without the ball.
The front four have a real threat about them and they all contributed but not to he extent of last week.Gavin again got through a power of work and has re-gained some confidence and Lyles great touch set up the run of McShane for the goal.Iain Russell takes so much responsibility for the team with his ball carrying and it was a great run at the end that was so cynically stopped.I would have been quite happy with a red card for that hack.It was so much worse than the previous yellows.
Raith were poor today apart from the spell from Spence coming on until the break.Apart from a great drive against the post and Chris Mitchell blocking on the 6 yard box near the end they never re

deek5trans
18-01-2014, 11:50 PM
I believe the new striker pulled a muscle in warm up. Probably would have featured at some point if not.

I thought Raith looked dangerous without being dangerous. Very physical team.

I don't think we should be too hard on McShane, he did get the goal. Russell and Paton were equally off the pace at times. Superb build up play for the goal.

Defense was excellent and Reilly well deserved MOM.

doonhame
19-01-2014, 12:39 PM

Don't recall many people calling for his head but plenty calling for him to use a 442 formation . Seems to have been a good call ! You can only wonder where we would be in the leagues had he gone with 442 more often ...

jardi
19-01-2014, 01:51 PM
An excellent hard working display by Queens, who maybe just over the piece earned all 3 points.

Sorry but I have to say to Mr. McIntyre once again, when you have McKenna on a booking, could you please substitute him. As everyone who witnessed his red mist display late in the game yesterday, he was quite rightly booked for bringing down a player when he didn't need to.
Instead of keeping a low profile, McKenna charged into a situation he had no need to be involved in, and it was only because the referee was booking the Raith player for the cynical tackle on Russell that he was not sent off. Indeed Higgins took the booking for him, as a case of mistaken identity.

It is clearly a case of 'not if but when' McKenna gets sent off, so please Mr McIntyre, I know you are reading this board so please take cognisance of this warning, because you will have to take the wrath of 1500 home supporters and a Board of Directors when he does.

Oh and while I'm bound to get pelters, I might as well

nithvalley2
19-01-2014, 03:24 PM
If it's logic - not at all sure - you are applying then surely Durnan should have been subbed after half an hour !

rjc_1988
19-01-2014, 04:31 PM
I thought this was a typical Championship League battle - nothing much between the teams.

Actually thought Raith played better than when they won 1-0 earlier in season.

Two outstanding players for me were Higgins for Queens and Douglas Hill of Raith who always seems to play well against us.

Really good result - thought we defended well and Paton once again carried most threat going forward. Great team goal finished expertly by McShane. As others have said we missed Burns and despite his goal don't think McShane does enough.That said his replacement was very anonymous - Guff would be a better option until Kevin finds his feet at this level.

Next few games are really tough but may decide our season. Bad time to get Morton and we will have to be at our best to win that one - Livy and Dundee also on the horizon.good thing is that least we have given ourselves a chance of Play offs - we now have to show some genuine consistency.

PS - still do think Ian Russell is a wide left midfielder

Hard_Labour
19-01-2014, 05:49 PM
If it's logic - not at all sure - you are applying then surely Durnan should have been subbed after half an hour !

Durnan isn't as mental as McKenna who looses the plot far too often. Durnan was unlucky to be booked . Mc Kenna's booking as usual was for a cynical nasty challenge that benefited no one. The way the red mist descends on him is frankly frightening . He should have been sent off . The way he lunged in and started pushing players around knowing he had been booked shows just how unstable he is. He should have been off and only the uselessness of Dallas who booked the wrong player , saved McKenna. It is however only a stay of execution as no doubt a ban is imminent given how many yellow car he is picking up . His wreck less and selfish attitude could and should have meant ten men for Queens and we would have been us under a hell of a pressure . I don't think u can compare to Durnan who has the sense to be careful after

Auld_Chippy
19-01-2014, 06:33 PM

I have never called for McIntyre's head, trusting instead that the BOD would do what was necessary if or when the situation merited it. More than halfway through the season before recording two wins in a row is hardly reason to do cartwheels. Credit where it's due however, he has stumbled on our best formation and the displays over the past two games have been much better, a pity it took so long for him to work it out. I said just after the start of the season that it would be marathon and not a sprint and to give him a chance but you don't handicap yourself in a marathon by running half the length with your shoes on the wrong feet and laces tied together before noticing your mistake.

Vera_Cious
19-01-2014, 07:07 PM
Don't forget we also play Falkirk between the Livi and Dundee games rjc 1988.

Dariusz
19-01-2014, 10:34 PM
I have no doubt that if Allan Johnston had been in charge for this campaign that we would be riding much higher. That said it is never easy for any new manager coming in who obviously would have his own ideas on things and would need time to get to know the players.

We always knew that this league would be extremely tight and so it is proving to be. On the bright side we are 10 points clear of the danger zone and only a win away from play off spot.

Last season we were almost unbeatable playing a 4-4-2. Tinkering with that, breaking the settled Higgins/Durnan partnership and signing a young inexperienced goalkeeper for such a tough league have been Jim's main errors. Hopefully he has learned from them.

The closer we get to the end of the season a decision will have to be made whether this manager should be the manager for the next campaign. I know he has a 2 year deal, but I have held the view that it should come down to finishing league position. Top Half = Yes. Positions 6/7

Aliboy1975
20-01-2014, 01:03 AM
I still dont rate the guy as the man to take Qos forward. Lets see what happens next week but in my opinion hes not the man to take us forward. Im not alone in this view we have underachieved big time should be doing better.

jardi
20-01-2014, 09:08 AM
A very clever post and extremely amusing picture of the manager falling over himself Auld Chippy!

I wouldn't quite be as harsh as all that, but you are quite correct in what you say, - it is difficult enough to manage a team at a higher level without throwing extra problems into the mix. A good manager in any job does not walk in and stamp his authority by making changes immediately, - he looks and listens and then if necessary he makes some very subtle changes.

The posters on this board would not make the perfect manager either, but they raise some extremely valid points, which should be at the very least considered by any manager, because they might just help to keep him in a job.

The Scottish Championship has always been an extremely competitive league, and it is about to become a whole lot more so in the next season (or two) with Rangers and Hearts being involved.

fruitloop
20-01-2014, 09:37 AM

Durnan isn't as mental as McKenna who looses the plot far too often. Durnan was unlucky to be booked . Mc Kenna's booking as usual was for a cynical nasty challenge that benefited no one. The way the red mist descends on him is frankly frightening . He should have been sent off . The way he lunged in and started pushing players around knowing he had been booked shows just how unstable he is. He should have been off and only the uselessness of Dallas who booked the wrong player , saved McKenna. It is however only a stay of execution as no doubt a ban is imminent given how many yellow car he is picking up . His wreck less and selfish attitude could and should have meant ten men for Queens and we would have been us under a hell of a pressure . I don't think u can compare

Francis_begbie_HFC
20-01-2014, 09:50 AM
yep agreed fruitloop ,mckenna is our main man ,our rock and to take his hard man approach away from him you would kill his game ,what we really need is another mckenna type in our midfield .

aloreburn
20-01-2014, 11:56 AM
Before Saturdays game there was 4 players with more bookings than McKenna in the Queens squad . Give the guy a break

Dariusz
20-01-2014, 12:54 PM
I would say McKenna is worth his weight in gold for Queens. Should definately be one of the firsts on the team sheet.

That said there is always the odd occasion when he has to get the balance right between being our Midfield Enforcer with the odd yellow card and being reckless.

Maybe with that type of player you just have to take the rough with the smooth and accept he will get red carded occassionally and miss the odd game through suspension.

His positives definately outweigh the negatives.

jardi
20-01-2014, 05:22 PM
Lads I fully agree that McKenna is a superb player, and if we had another half dozen of him, we might be sitting atop the league.

However, it is patronising to ignore the fact that he is a loose cannon on a yellow card. That fact is ignored at your peril, or more importantly Jim McIntyre's!

McKenna is an excellent player, let there be no doubt, but on a yellow card with descending red mist he is a nightmare on Terregles Street! Anyone who could not see that on Saturday is delusionary and burying their heads in the sand.

fatfan
20-01-2014, 09:29 PM
I can't believe that some are turning on McKenna. The man is by far and away the best midfielder at the club and I have to agree, he would walk into any team in the championship and would improve them. I can't see how he becomes a "nightmare on Terregles st" after receiving a booking. He is a physical player who will pick up bookings, but every team needs that and to want him subbed after taking a booking is crazy. Has he been continually sent off - the answer is a resounding NO. The criticism aimed at him is totally unjustified. Everyone seems to agree he is a fine player but can't agree with his discipline when as mentioned in an earlier post, he has not got the worst record at the club. So can someone explain where the argument is, cos as far as I can see, the people who are shouting for him to get subbed are way off the mark. I didn't see the same advice given to AJ last season when McKenna received a booking so has the player changed, I think not.
Mckenna's record speaks f

JRSLEFTPEG
20-01-2014, 09:48 PM
Some of you are not really understanding what Jardi is saying . I agree that McKenna walks a tightrope when booked . He continues to make 'iffy' tackles and maybe he has been a bit lucky of late not to get an added yellow. I say this as someone who rates McKenna that highly that he could well break into my best ever Qos side . He is a superb player for us ( and servant ) but maybe he should be taken off at times if he has already got a yellow and is still pushing the boundaries.