PDA

View Full Version : It's the players not the manager

laticRMI
18-01-2014, 08:57 PM
Today confirmed to me what I have felt all season. We have a bunch of players who simply don't have the qualities necessary to be consistent week in week out in this division. Being outplayed by a team who have not won for eight games, and who sit 3rd from bottom in the league, is extremely worrying. Given that DW has clearly vetoed any move in the transfer market for a top quality striker and a strong centre midfielder - where we are really lacking - Uwe has as much chance as his predecessor of getting us back in the top flight. I thought at the time that Owen Coyle was treated harshly by Whelan - probably because he wanted to move for players in the transfer market - and that Rosler will fare no better with this squad of players. There are too many fairies in the team - not good for this league where we need battlers not bottlers. At least we'll stay up, and maybe have a bit of a cup run into the 5th round, but no Wembley this year, I'm afraid.:/

Wigan_
18-01-2014, 09:32 PM
We shouldn't lose to anyone 3-0. The squad is good enough (with a few additions), they need a kick up the backside every now and then.

Coyle was a waste of money and half a season, which cost Wigan Athletic a place in the top two - he couldn't pick a team.

If the FA Cup draw is reasonably kind to us we need to hold onto the Cup for as long as we can.
Only two teams have retained the FA cup in 30 years, we are now a Championship side so expectations are even less than they were last year.

padders
18-01-2014, 09:33 PM
The players were poor today, but Rosler has to take some of the blame with the team selection.

Why is McCann starting at centre half?
Why is Mcmanaman on the bench?
How do players like Watson and Gomez start ahead of Espinoza and Mcmanaman?

arjan
18-01-2014, 09:41 PM
Coyle wasn't treated harshly.Under him there was no system and it was tedious to watch. It's not been like that under Rosler- but today it was. I'm puzzled as to why there seems to be a belief that you have to kick it a long way and kick people to get out of this league. The passing Wigan would outclass everyone else. It makes no sense asking Gomez, Beausejour, Espinoza, McArthur, Powell, Boyce to play a long ball game. They should be encouraged to pass and the opposition won't live with it. first hafl against Forest was the best of the season and they passed them off the park. Uwe seemed to recognise that to begin with.

Uwe's team selection was just off today. Barnett has been a shining light and was pushed to the right. Boyce is a rock but not running the defnce from the middle.McCann never a central defender. I think he got a bit carried away with himself today and it went terribly wrong. 4 defenders, 4 midfielders and 2 up front with one dropping off seems sensible and is clever

mistral
18-01-2014, 09:51 PM
The players were poor today, but Rosler has to take some of the blame with the team selection.

agree 100%...too many changes today and why leave MAF on the bench when he has scored 2 in 2? He should have started as scoring goals is all about keeping the confidence/momentum going...I'm puzzled by Uwe's tactics/team selection today :?

Webbs21
18-01-2014, 10:13 PM

Rosler is experimenting still to be fair. He's got ideas of what he is trying to achieve, so I'm willing to cut him a bit of slack,

I do agree that he has made some strange selections of late, and maybe we could have won today with the right line up.

Also, players need resting too. It's the nature of the fixture list we have. You see all teams involved in several competitions rotating their squad. Fortune played 120 mins in midweek, has he got the legs to play again? In Uwe's opinion, no.

laticRMI
18-01-2014, 10:14 PM
'first hafl against Forest was the best of the season and they passed them off the park'.

I think that Coyle was the manager then - which is precisely my point. On occasions, we played decent football under Coyle - as with Rosler. However, I think we've been a bit luckier under Uwe than Owen. Not much went right for poor Coyle, but Uwe has been a tad lucky eg against MK Dons. Also, Rosler has made dodgy team selections, like Coyle. When you have an average group of players there's not much the manager can do - which is my point. DW seems determined not to flash the cash - the only way is down, no matter who is manager.:s

Les_bradds_lad
18-01-2014, 10:17 PM
Thought it had been quiet on here for the last 8 games lose one and viola XD XD XD

sammons_right_foot
18-01-2014, 10:26 PM
Thought it had been quiet on here for the last 8 games lose one and viola XD XD XD

its one or two expressions of disappointment, after all we should have walked 3pts today.

laticRMI
18-01-2014, 10:27 PM
It's not the fact that we lost a game - it's who beat us, and the comprehensive manner of the defeat. I don't think QPR or Leicester or even Burnley would have been taken apart like that by such a kick and rush side like Doncaster! It's a big time reality check after all the misguided euphoria since Rosler came. We won't win promotion on the cheap, no matter who is manager. :(

Les_bradds_lad
18-01-2014, 10:50 PM
Ah I see it should be an automatic three points the mighty tics should not lose this game we are unbeatable

get over your selves chill out and relax roller coaster time

sammons_right_foot
18-01-2014, 10:54 PM
Ah I see it should be an automatic three points the mighty tics should not lose this game we are unbeatable

get over your selves chill out and relax roller coaster time

how about you chill out and let posters discuss.

Les_bradds_lad
18-01-2014, 11:01 PM
Another sensible reply from a knownout B)

padders
18-01-2014, 11:03 PM

Rosler is experimenting still to be fair. He's got ideas of what he is trying to achieve, so I'm willing to cut him a bit of slack,

I do agree that he has made some strange selections of late, and maybe we could have won today with the right line up.

Also, players need resting too. It's the nature of the fixture list we have. You see all teams involved in several competitions rotating their squad. Fortune played 120 mins in midweek, has he got the legs to play again? In Uwe's opinion, no.[/quote]

I can understand some experimentation for a few games, but to keep changing the team so much every week is going to cost us.
And how many weeks does it

Les_bradds_lad
18-01-2014, 11:14 PM
Did McManaman not play the whole match on Tuesday might be wrong like

padders
19-01-2014, 12:32 AM
No Callum didn't play, which is why I can't understand today.
Also, Watson and McCann played the whole game against MK Dons.

arjan
19-01-2014, 08:01 AM
Uwe saiid they were tired. They might have been but suspect biggest issue is that there's some major re-structuring going on behind the scenes. Holt goes, McLean likely to go, Ramis has disappeared ( preparing for summer departure? ) . There's always been an odd suggestion from DW that it moght take two years to get back to Prem. there'd been hints that it might be this year but today suggests it won't be.

But Uwe is way better than Coyle.

sammons_right_foot
19-01-2014, 09:59 AM
Another sensible reply from a knownout B)

please explain

laticRMI
20-01-2014, 08:50 PM
Back to my original point, after having it hijacked away from :D.

Martinez is another prime example of a manager who seems to be having more success at Everton than he had at Wigan, because he now has better players. Same football philosophy - Lukaku instead of Kone, Distin instead of Caldwell, Mirallas instead of McArthur etc - hey presto! - a team that wins games and plays good football. He tried and nearly succeeded at Latics, but the players, by and large weren't good enough plus the squad was too small. I'm convinced that Uwe will have no more success than Owen, because we have a set of players who, overall, are not up to it.:(

WhoRYa
21-01-2014, 09:09 AM
I see where you're coming from but I have to disagree.
It may well be that Rosler turns out to be a failure at Latics - only time will tell on that score.
However, better managers can get better performances out of the same group of players than a manager who isn't as good.
Using Bobby as an example, with 1 or 2 exceptions it is pretty much the same Everton XI that Moyes had yet he seems to be getting (by & large) better performances out of them than Moyes could
Using Moyes as another example, the squad he is using at United is (apart from Felliani) the exact same one that Alex Ferguson had last season, yet he isn't getting as good a performances out of them as Ferguson was.

Back to Latics, it is early days in Rosler's reign & Saturday was shocking but if you compare their respective records, Coyle was averaging the following: 1.13 goals scored per game, 1 goal conceded per game & 1.38 points per game.
Rosler is averaging the following: 1.29 goals scored per game, 0.86 goals conceded