PDA

View Full Version : Our out of form players

Bear DCFC
19-01-2014, 11:23 AM
I really think our side is struggling at the moment. A very hard fought win yesterday, but we still haven't passed a team off the park for the full 90 minutes since a weakened Blackpool team. It seems to be that our key players are out of form at the moment.

Martin: 2 goals in 8 competitive games (2 in 7 in the Championship) for him and the 2 goals were against the bottom of the table. Those penalty misses really look like they've taken their toll on him.

Bryson: He hasn't been putting in his outstanding displays that we have become used to. Hasn't really been the same since his injury.

Hughes: Has he really got going this season? I personally think he needs to bulk up like Jeff did so that he can really impose himself in the centre of the park.

Dawkins: Has been rested once and seems to be Steve's go to person to sub off. He isn't playing as well as when he first arrived.

Ward: He's losing favour with the fans, needs to up his game. More goals needed form Ward. His

SuperDerbySuperRams
19-01-2014, 11:27 AM
Martin has been found out. He doesn't win the fowls anymore, refs have had a meeting about him for sure, he just doesn't win them anymore

chili756
19-01-2014, 12:01 PM
Hughes has been off for a while, and Hendrick has not performed all season long. Bryson has had an injury or two, but still performed at times. These are our 3 key midfielders, and if these are not playing well we will struggle. Eustace has played more than anyone else would have thought, and considering he was only brought in originally to come on and help defend a lead in the last 20 minutes or so, he has done exceptionally well.

Its no surprise we kept another clean sheet with an improving Grant, but more importantly Keogh and Buxton were back together, which is our best CH pairing. Keane looks decent, but I agree he looks like it is futile to play him, if he is going back. Cover at best.

Our starting 11 is good, when they are all on form, we can even get away with 1 or 2 having an off day, but at present we look like we lack cohesion. I agree with Ward going downhill slightly. McClaren and co must keep their heads up and keep moving forward. This is a fantastic chance at a place

Manofpride
19-01-2014, 12:23 PM
[quote="chili756"]Hughes has been off for a while, and Hendrick has not performed all season long. Bryson has had an injury or two, but still performed at times. These are our 3 key midfielders, and if these are not playing well we will struggle. Eustace has played more than anyone else would have thought, and considering he was only brought in originally to come on and help defend a lead in the last 20 minutes or so, he has done exceptionally well.

Its no surprise we kept another clean sheet with an improving Grant, but more importantly Keogh and Buxton were back together, which is our best CH pairing. Keane looks decent, but I agree he looks like it is futile to play him, if he is going back. Cover at best.

Our starting 11 is good, when they are all on form, we can even get away with 1 or 2 having an off day, but at present we look like we lack cohesion. I agree with Ward going downhill slightly. McClaren and co must keep their heads up and keep moving f

Gift_of_the_Gabb
19-01-2014, 12:26 PM
Hughes is struggling at the moment. I think it's just mental tiredness, we forget he's only young and we rely heavily upon him. I would rest him for two games. Yesterday Hendrick look much more like his old self in the centre of midfield and he provided much needed forward impetus.

Ward and to a lesser extent Dawkins seem to have lost their momentum too. However the arrival of Bamford and the return of Russell should provide some much needed competition for places in that area. If one's off form we can replace them.

I think Martin's drop in form is down to the lack of supply and support he's getting. He can't carry the attack alone.

As for Bryson I'm not sure. Maybe it's just the injury or maybe Hughes not being at his best has affected him. I hope he picks up soon.

Yesterday the defence Eustace included were much improved. We just needed the attacking five to find a bit of spark again.

HungaryRam
19-01-2014, 12:27 PM
Gathering from what people are saying, I think it's definitely time for a re-shuffle.

Bamford needs to start, and personally I would replace him with Ward or even Martin.

Hughes needs a rest, and a straight swap with Hendrick or Bailey would seem the best bet.

Would anyone fancy Bailey and Hendrick replacing Hughes and Bryson? Or would that be too radical?

The biggest improvement this season, even before the arrival of Mc is that we have more strength in depth. For the last few years we've had a very uninspiring bench.

We're actually the envy of a lot of clubs now, how refreshing is that!

AngryRam
19-01-2014, 03:18 PM
Martin has been found out. He doesn't win the fowls anymore, refs have had a meeting about him for sure, he just doesn't win them anymore

Was always going to happen with Martin, never liked his antics but can see why he does it.

Hughes, I am not buying the young lad/tired thing. He is young living the dream I would worry if he was having a dip in form whilst we are flying high and there was a good chance of playing Prem football next term. He should be able to run all day...

The worry for me is the width in the team.. Ward, get rid now... Never liked him and always think we are a better TEAM without him. Dawkins, got his contract and has been poor ever since. Forsyth, should be cutting the grass not playing on it.

I don't really worry about Hughes and Bryson to be honest. I would love to believe Geoff could play the holding role and Eustace can get back to League 2 quick time. May be now Bailey will be a better option

thederbyram
19-01-2014, 03:52 PM
I must say Angry I think you'ved our whole line up as being not good enough! We can't be doing that badly given our league position?

I would agree that there are some players in our team that are evidently worse than others but that doesn't mean they're not good championship players.

Eustace is playing a role. I'm at pains to compare him to McGrath but when he came he never trained, just went on the pitch and swept up behind the defence. That's what Eustace is doing behind our attack-minded midfield.

Forsyth, I agree to an extent but left back is one of those positions where there are very few decent players around, certainly who would be able to replace him.

Martin's play is more about his ball retention I think and bringing the other attacking players into play. When we play the ball into his chest or feet he often holds the play up with his back to goal and lays it off before making a move into the box. Its not really about how much he runs or how many headers he wins - his

sheeeeeeeeeep
19-01-2014, 04:56 PM
We have been playing better teams which makes it hard to be so attacking. Martin for me is not off form, when he gets the service his hold up play is superb and he still wins free kicks but not as many because he hasn't had as much of the ball. He won plenty vs Brighton!

Hughes has been found out, mark him or close him down and he's ****! Needs to much time on the ball.

Ward and Dawkins have been playing deeper and wider in order to help the full backs against tougher opposition so they are not going to be as effective.

The defence has been superb of late and the stupid errors from the Clough era seem few and far between.

I don't think players are off form, I think it's just that we are playing tougher opposition.

AngryRam
19-01-2014, 05:17 PM
[quote="thederbyram"]I must say Angry I think you'ved our whole line up as being not good enough! We can't be doing that badly given our league position?

I would agree that there are some players in our team that are evidently worse than others but that doesn't mean they're not good championship players.

Eustace is playing a role. I'm at pains to compare him to McGrath but when he came he never trained, just went on the pitch and swept up behind the defence. That's what Eustace is doing behind our attack-minded midfield.

Forsyth, I agree to an extent but left back is one of those positions where there are very few decent players around, certainly who would be able to replace him.

Martin's play is more about his ball retention I think and bringing the other attacking players into play. When we play the ball into his chest or feet he often holds the play up with his back to goal and lays it off before making a move into the box. Its not really about h

Toggles
19-01-2014, 06:20 PM
We have been playing better teams which makes it hard to be so attacking. Martin for me is not off form, when he gets the service his hold up play is superb and he still wins free kicks but not as many because he hasn't had as much of the ball. He won plenty vs Brighton!

Hughes has been found out, mark him or close him down and he's ****! Needs to much time on the ball.

Ward and Dawkins have been playing deeper and wider in order to help the full backs against tougher opposition so they are not going to be as effective.

The defence has been superb of late and the stupid errors from the Clough era seem few and far between.

I don't think players are off form, I think it's just that we are playing tougher opposition.

---

You're not the first person to decide Hughes is **** now he's lost a bit of form. :? In fact since SMc has come in, and we've had a good run, followed by a small and reasonable wobble (nothing like past wobbles; Christ, the last 5 games were par for the course fo

sheeeeeeeeeep
20-01-2014, 10:45 AM
[quote="AngryRam"]I must say Angry I think you'ved our whole line up as being not good enough! We can't be doing that badly given our league position?

Martin's play is more about his ball retention I think and bringing the other attacking players into play. When we play the ball into his chest or feet he often holds the play up with his back to goal and lays it off before maki

AngryRam
20-01-2014, 01:08 PM
[quote="sheeeeeeeeeep"]I must say Angry I think you'ved our whole line up as being not good enough! We can't be doing that badly given our league position?

Martin's play is more about his ball retention I think and bringing the other attacking players into play. When we play the ball into his chest or feet he often holds the play u

su4eranio
20-01-2014, 01:45 PM
I think we are seeing a degree of over reaction in this thread...IMO

Take out of the equation the Chelsea game, which isnt really relevent in my eyes.

Wigan - we lost a game we would have hoped to have got a win from or a draw at worse. We conceded to a fantastic strike and then went on to miss 3 gilt edge chances. We didnt play fluid footie, and opposition did a job on us

Leicester - lets face it, they played brilliant on the day all over the park. Had we been on our game, might have been a closer affair, but credit to them for a performance that deserved a win, and justifies why they are top

Now apart from those 2 results, I can see that our performances havent been as sustained as some we had in our run. Why??
Strength of opposition?
A few players not handling the heavy fixture load and it being a leveller?
Key players just having a dip in form?
Or just opposition have taken notice and more happy to contain than go toe to toe?

I certainly think a lot of it is in the last po