PDA

View Full Version : Players who didn't live up to their potential.

Crewe313
20-01-2014, 02:46 PM
Watching AJ play now and thinking back to his form pre the injury at portsmouth, he is definitely a player that hasn't lived up to what we thought he could have been and is definitely not a league one player.

It got me thinking about the big "could have been players" who we have given several seasons to help nurture them yet they never delivered.

One that always sticks out is Steve Jones. Partnered with Ashton they were an unstoppable partnership, then Ashton was sold he became a scared rabbit in front of head lights. Fortuitous to get the move to Burnley and on his return was never the same player.

Others Lee Bell and Michael Higdon jump to mind.

I was wondering who else would be on the list. They have to be academy players rather than players we have bought in.

AstonAlex
20-01-2014, 03:15 PM
Ben Rix would be near the top of my list. Top player in the FA Youth Cup in his time didn't quite make it. You could probably add Fran Tierney - what a pity Liverpool hadn't handed over the rumoured £700k before they found out!

Incidentally Jonah wasn't one of ours through the Academy system but signed from Leigh RMI, one of many successes through a similar route (Little, Macaulay and Shaun Smith to but three). Sorry, I am known for being a pedant!

alexbarmy
20-01-2014, 03:51 PM
Agree with those listed, plus in the way of forwards:

Peter Smith
John Grant
Paul Edwards

Just off the top of my head.

On the flip side, Kenny Lunt came from nowhere, Seth Johnson was under the radar as was Nicky Maynard.

chinaalex
20-01-2014, 04:26 PM
Steve Walters ?

somersetcrewe
20-01-2014, 05:03 PM
Been mentioned already but it's Ben Rix for me.
Seemed to have everything, even the Cruyff turn, and I will never forget his curler at Griffin Park in a 4-0 victory that saw Leroy Rosenior dismissed post-match, and ultimately confined to FLS duty!
A natural talent wasted, I just don't know how or why?!! Attitude I guess!

thnhouse
20-01-2014, 05:13 PM
Didn't Dario describe Ben Rix as ther most talented player he'd produced?

I quite liked James Collins when he was playing, always neat and tidy, good passer of the ball.

Gary Roberts has got to be the best example of not living up to potential, Which pub is he playing for now?

alexbarmy
20-01-2014, 05:55 PM
Seemed to have everything, even the Cruyff turn, and I will never forget his curler at Griffin Park in a 4-0 victory that saw Leroy Rosenior dismissed post-match, and ultimately confined to FLS duty!

I don't think there was ever an attitude problem. I think it was because he wasn't physically strong enough for a central midfielder and not quick enough for a winger. I think in the current game where wingers tend not to be all about beating the full backs he would flourish.

OgerAlex
20-01-2014, 10:38 PM

I don't think there was ever an attitude problem. I think it was because he wasn't physically strong enough for a central midfielder and not quick enough for a winger. I think in the current game where wingers tend not to be all about beating the full backs he would flourish.[/quote]

From what I was told Rix perhaps wasent as dedicated to football as is needed to make it to the top. Didnt he move down to Cornwall or something as he'd had enough of the game?
His choice at the end of the day.
I always think that David Wright could/should have been a premier league

AlexLeicester
21-01-2014, 08:14 AM
Gary Roberts is the prime example of falling below potential. Such a total waste, but I am surprised that more do not follow that path: from very little to a decent wage (far in excess of many others at that age), overblown self belief, head turned by those who succeed (jealousy?), and then the weakness to become addicted to an unsustainable lifestyle.

In many different ways lots of us have been on or near that brink in our own careers and lifestyles.

- that sounds so sanctimonious - apologies, but I mean Gary was a wasted talent.

fatfakir
21-01-2014, 08:51 AM
Gary "Garylad" Roberts has recently signed for Connah's Quay, having returned from his Maltese adventures...

Lee Bell was unfortunate in that he came back into the team after going out on loan, looked good, and then broke his ankle in a pre-season game (at Southport IIRC) and never really got back to the same level. Plus he did a good job for us when he came back till he was overtaken by Westwood, who's now playing in the Prem of course...

First time I saw Steve Walters play I thought he'd be the best midfielder the Alex had ever produced. Seem to remember that after a while most teams just tried to kick him out of the game and eventually succeeded.

Crewe313
21-01-2014, 09:41 AM
Ben rix and Garry Roberts are good examples.

I also think there are a string of players who were never any good but because they came from our academy we persisted with them for years.

Richard Walker comes to mind. I would have also said neil sorvel but he did have a gd last year for us. The championship was a league to high for him though.

Anthony tonkin, I know not an academy player, but how many years did we have to endure of him at left back till we realised he was no good.

A friend put it perfectly to me about tonkin. Everyone says we didnt win a game till the last game of the season when we sold ashton because we missed his goals. It was actually because tonkin just returned to the team at the same time and played every game.

Adester
21-01-2014, 09:54 AM
Max Clayton, ok I know he is still young and with us but...

He said himself that he was at the same level as Nick Powell...chough!

VindePays2009
21-01-2014, 11:48 AM
How about Michael O'Connor?

Great in the youth team, and boy, did he have a mean streak a la Seth.

I see he came on against us for Rotherham the other week.

AstonAlex
21-01-2014, 12:51 PM
I guess those that didn't live up to their potential can also be judged by those we got a good deal for. I reckon we got damn good money for Rivo and Rob Edwards, for example . . more than they were worth anyway.

But who would have thought Dele would fetch that much in total transfer fees!!

bonehead
21-01-2014, 02:43 PM
players who could of been great but never made there mark

paul bowles - thought he would of played at the very top

dan archer - alan tarbuck - mickey guy (Not produced by us i know)

roberts -fleetwood now i think

crewedaft
21-01-2014, 03:51 PM
Danny Murphy for me, through no fault of his own.

Liverpool should have built their team around him rather than selling him when he was at his peak, and he should have won 70-80 England caps, not a handful. Not appreciated by people who can't see past the 'fast and strong' mentality, though Roy Hodgson (as Fulham manager) is exempt from that criticism.

PAULCAFC
21-01-2014, 05:19 PM
RYAN LOWE, spent most of his time here warming the bench, left and went back into non league for a while, came back totally resurged and banged them in at Bury, Weds, MK DONS and now Tranmere, goal scorer extraordinare at this level and proved it many times, Dario said it was one of his biggest mistakes to let him go and I agree!!!!

somersetcrewe
21-01-2014, 05:25 PM
Dario said it was one of his biggest mistakes to let him go and I agree!!!!

Yes, but let us not forget, save the odd free-kick, (and that hat-trick v Carlisle), he hardly set the world alight when he was here. Very much a nearly man at the time, I for one wasn't surprised we allowed him to leave.
Hindsight is a wonderful thing!

RedandWhiteSpartan
21-01-2014, 06:08 PM
Would have been an England regular, would have played for a top four Premier League club, would have had a lengthy career and although through no fault of his own then surely Dean Ashton has to included, of course not in any sort of adverse way the Subject heading implies.

CreweGym
21-01-2014, 06:48 PM
Francis tierney anyone?

crewedaft
22-01-2014, 09:24 AM
Would have been an England regular, would have played for a top four Premier League club, would have had a lengthy career and although through no fault of his own then surely Dean Ashton has to included, of course not in any sort of adverse way the Subject heading implies.

This might seem fanciful but if Erikkson had taken him to the 2006 WC instead of Walcott, when he had just had a great season with West Ham, England might have won that tournament. We were left with Rooney (not fit), Owen (injured) and Walcott (schoolkid) up front, when Portugal were there for the taking in the QF.

Dobbo65
22-01-2014, 08:29 PM
I remember going to a Smith & Macauley testimonial event at the Woodside that was basically a Q&A event. Geoff Thomas was also on the panel and ??. Anyway I asked the following question(s) relative to their 10+ year service at CAFC. By consensus they gave the following answers:-

1. Most underrated player = Martyn Booty

2. Most overrated = Robbie Savage

3. Most valuable / influential / want in their team = Neil Lennon

Well, I wouldn't disagree with either No. 2 or 3, albeit we're spoilt for choice on the most influential player. And Booty was a pretty good, overlapping fullback who could also defend.