PDA

View Full Version : AJ's position

Adester
21-01-2014, 09:58 AM
There are some mixed opinions on the lad, I personally rate him highly, he is good on the ball, not shy to get hold of it and run with it, makes some very intelligent moves and passes, the only thing for me that lets him down is his ability to get the ball in the back of the net, and slight lack of pace.

Would he be better suited to another roll in mid filed or on the wing?

I'm not sure he is an out and out striker personally but I do think he is a lot better than some people suggest.

Crewe313
21-01-2014, 10:02 AM
This reminds me of how I describe Danny Welbeck. Does everything but the most important thing on his job description.

I personally think he has had enough opportunities and he hasn't delivered. I think he is a League 2 player at best.

The only other position I could think of for him is a winger but his final ball is not great and he can fade out of games, which it is important for a winger not to do.

I do think he is a gd lad and seems to have a gd attitude but I think he is punching above his weight.

Adester
21-01-2014, 10:09 AM
However if he was given a chance to fulfil another roll in the U21 games to see how he fits in, I think he would surprise a few people.

Thing is he has been bread a striker since he was a kid no doubt.

AlexLeicester
21-01-2014, 10:24 AM
he is good on the ball, not shy to get hold of it and run with it, makes some very intelligent moves and passes, the only thing for me that lets him down is his ability to get the ball in the back of the net, and slight lack of pace.

Not many will disagree with all those attributes, but what sums it up for me was Inman's goal against Rotherham. AJ was totally free on goal and he missed. Luckily the rebound was buried in the net by Brad.
AJ seems to need space for the final shot and whatever league you are in (unless you are playing the Alex :blue:) that is not going to happen.
He does not have the vision for a midfielder, or the pace of a winger. He is great upfront, but simply cannot deliver.

My only suggestion is that he spends every waking moment with a tennis ball in a back alley, until he can, blindfolded, hit every brick in turn without trapping and controlling the little ball. He would then, of course, be an England star.

AstonAlex
21-01-2014, 10:31 AM
AJ is frustrating. As has rightly been said he is in the side to score goals; I seem to recall Dario saying he was as clinical a finisher as he has seen at the Academy! We all know that strikers go through lean periods and need a good run in the side, but I think he has had a lot of chances and doesn't measure up to League 1 these days.

However, the lad works hard during matches and we shouldn't forget his part in our goal on Saturday where he linked up a couple of times in the move, or that a subtle touch in the area shortly afterwards gave Chuks a great chance to add a second - unfortunately he was knocked off the ball while shooting and plonked his shot well wide.

I would leave the fella on the bench ahead of Vadaine now that Uche and Pogs are in the squad, but have him available as a different type of player than those two. For me Vadaine is still the poor man's alternative to the other two and, if they can't do it, he won't be able to. He shows signs of improving though, so

somersetcrewe
22-01-2014, 07:15 AM
AJ is a conundrum, he gets into positions I'm sure others wouldn't even think about - he is clever!
But I do agree, that's all very well if he can't finish! At least he did last night, really pleased for him!

I believe he gets the chances to play that bemuse some of you because SD and his staff know just how skilfull he is and what he could become. And he deserves it in my book - BECAUSE HE'S ONE OF OURS! ;D

Always gets my backing.
6 Academy starters last night, (if you count Kelv), good on you, Steve

AlexLeicester
22-01-2014, 08:00 AM
Yum, yum - this humble pie tastes lovely. X-D

Well done AJ for scoring - and this time it was Byron who missed an open goal.

That said, A J's goal must be just the start. Her worked hard, linked up well, passed a few excellent balls around, and generally did what he was there for.

Adester
22-01-2014, 09:16 AM
Yum, yum - this humble pie tastes lovely. X-D

Well done AJ for scoring - and this time it was Byron who missed an open goal.

That said, A J's goal must be just the start. Her worked hard, linked up well, passed a few excellent balls around, and generally did what he was there for.

One swallow does not a summer make! ;D

Anyway as I said from the off I am a big fan of AJ, I truly think he is fantastic, its just his lack of goals I find disturbing.

With any luck this will give him the confidence to smash a few more in. And what was Byron playing at last night! A sitter that he should of side footed into either side of the net and he dinks it directly at the keeper, then minuets from the end he has another chance when he is clear though with a defender on his tail, he gets the sense the guy is with him then stops and turns the ball back instead of running hell for leather to the goal! Come on Byron get a grip.

However tha

DGFG
22-01-2014, 12:00 PM
Every time I've seen him this season, he's not being doing it, simple as that - last night was his first goal since September.

Ultimately, as a striker, he'll be judged by the number of goals he scores - Steve and AJ both know that I'm sure. I note Steve said he nearly took him off at half time last night.

I agree he's clever and, because of that, he's likely to be seen to better effect now we're playing better as a team. He's a good finisher too, no better illustration of that than his goal last night.

But he's not quick, not powerful and can't run the channels - note the ball Chuks played to him in the first half last night which he should've kept in comfortably but did n't (even allowing for the slickness of the pitch).

I want him to succeed, not least because his style is a bit different in the modern game, but he has a lot to do to earn a new contract.

pasttit
22-01-2014, 12:31 PM
"But he's not quick, not powerful and can't run the channels - note the ball Chuks played to him in the first half last night which he should've kept in comfortably but did n't (even allowing for the slickness of the pitch)."

I was behind the goal in the corner where that ball went out, he had no chance of keeping it in the ball picked up a lot of pace on the pitch when it bounced which I think misled many people.