PDA

View Full Version : FA Youth Cup

somersetcrewe
21-01-2014, 11:18 AM
Any takers?
With MK 24 hours earlier, I doubt it!
I'll keep you posted in that case!

On the downside, Reading look like a big, bruising, fast outfit - so it's gonna be tough!
Here's hoping my neighbour's nephew can inspire the Alex boys from the touchline!

VindePays2009
21-01-2014, 11:51 AM
If he's just left there, maybe Uche can give us the low-down on the Reading threats.

ReadingAlex
21-01-2014, 12:17 PM
Tomorrow nights Youth Cup match is about 3 miles from my home, BUT I will be 1,150 miles away suffering -18C temperatures in Helsinki...

Was looking forward to see Master Saunders and the team, but I could not move the meetings to next week... however, means I will be going to Stevenage next Tuesday !!

somersetcrewe
23-01-2014, 07:52 AM
Well, RA, I hope Helsinki is treating you well because you missed a very good game. When I set off after work, I must admit I didn't expect such a high level of entertainment.

1st half we started well but after about 5-10 mins, Reading took control, started to dominate and took the lead after about 15 mins. Their marauding left-back (Owusu) cut inside and curled a right-footer out of Johnson's reach - a good goal. I have to be honest I was happy with being just 1 down at the break.

2nd half? - different story. We more than matched them, started the half well (again) but sustained it. Deservedly equalised through Saunders (a scrappy affair, goalmouth scramble), and continued to look good. Then Reading scored again which, through my rose-tinted specs, was against the run of play, and that looked to be it. But we kept going - and with James Jones and Ryan Alcock driving our central midfield, you felt a chance would come - and it did, through Saunders, an opportunist effort as the ball b

somersetcrewe
23-01-2014, 07:58 AM
Crewe team;
1 Robbie Johnson
2 James Baillie
3 Joe Kearns
4 James Jones (capt)
5 Louis Johnson
6 Perry Ng
7 Dominic Smith
8 Ryan Alcock
9 Callum Saunders
10 Fraser Murdoch
11 George Cooper

subs;
12 Chris Speed
13 Liam Matthews
14 Joe Holiell - on for Smith
15 Andre Brown - on for ??
16 Liam O'Neill - on for Kearns

AlexLeicester
23-01-2014, 08:52 AM
Many thanks for your full and objective report Somerset - almost like being there :-D.

I have obviously heard of these lads, but don't remember seeing any of them play, and they are the future. Games in Derby and Nottingham coming up for the U21s so I will definitely be there.

bigroof
23-01-2014, 12:46 PM
I watched it on YouTube, which was a real pleasure. It's the first time Reading have tried that; good for them.
By the time I'd discovered that it was available that way, Reading were well on top, and a goal up, but the Alex youngsters certainly played some good composed football in the second half, and obviously, coming back to level three times, showed great spirit.
Murdoch, Saunders, Baillie and Jones have all had time with the under 21s this season, so they're the most likely surely, to be offered a professional contract. Maybe some others have too, I don't know. I'm always impressed by Jones - a 'proper midfielder'; Saunders poached last night, but he makes good runs in behind, which Reading must've been aware of. Murdoch's strong, and, for a target man, the ball sticks. Baillie could end up in midfield, taking the same path as Ashley Westwood? George Cooper, the winger, is only a first year scholar, and looks a threat.
It was just great watching Crewe on my computer screen, and

DGFG
23-01-2014, 08:16 PM
I watched most of the second half and extra time on Youtube too and really enjoyed it - the understandably biased but delightfully irreverent commentary added to the spectacle for me too.

Can't add much to what has been written above except to emphasize what an exciting prospect James Jones is (he ran the home game against Coventry in Round 1 for me) - an athletic and scopey midfield player of the type which is all the rage in the modern game.

The squad's 'never-say-die' attitude and spirit is encouraging too - as with the recent Murphy-Westwood et al vintage, it's possible that we might benefit from a few of these lads breaking through together and combining well because they've been playing together for so long.

Nearly forgot, I like the 'keeper too - confident, good handling and has presence.

somersetcrewe
25-01-2014, 02:26 PM
Nearly forgot, I like the 'keeper too - confident, good handling and has presence.

I'm glad you said that because, to be honest, I wasn't too sure. With our record of producing goalies, was hoping to see more but he didn't have *that* much to do and when called upon, had little chance with any of the goals or pen kicks!

All I will say is he may have a future but not sure if it will be with us. If you consider Ben is only 1 or 2 years older than those players, Robbie probably has some way to go - but keepers do take longer to mature so who knows!