PDA

View Full Version : Bugbears!

Crewebeedoo
21-01-2014, 11:51 AM
Just wanted to get one or two things off my chest that are starting to annoy me and spoil my matchday experience - apologies in advance if anyone takes offence!

Why do people persist in bringing kids to matches who have absolutely no interest in what's going on and spend all afternoon playing up. Perfect example on Saturday - father with two small boys who didn't sit down all afternoon and kept running up and down the row of empty seats, he was too busy on his mobile to even care what they were up to and eventually a steward had to tell them to sit down! If you must bring little ones, please take responsibility for them and realise that fans sitting behind you are actually trying to watch the match.

Another one - people (sorry, particularly children again) kicking the back of your seat throughout the match. How annoying is this?! Or putting their feet up on the back of your seat. I remember at one time stewards used to reprimand people for this and persistent swearing which now se

whosbrianwilson
21-01-2014, 12:25 PM
Bah bloody humbug.

Where do you think the fans of tomorrow come from?

Fifty odd years ago, I'm sure I was one the troublesome kids you describe, with my dad trying to stop me running up and down the old Pop side.

Twenty odd years ago, my son was in the same bracket when I first brought him to a game. We had to get a little stool so he could see over the wall in the paddock (sorry RDS!!). Did he always behave himself - probably not, but the important thing is that both I and he are still Alex daft and following the team.

Without a bit of give and take - there will be no fans in the future.

God help your missus if she inadvertently gets in front of the tv when Match of the Day is on.

AstonAlex
21-01-2014, 12:47 PM
Hard to object to kids coming to the ground as its right they are here to get into the right habits, i.e. supporting the Alex and not the big clubs. I would have more sympathy if the stands were full, but that wont happen this season, even against Wolves!

I do share your bugbear about seats being kicked and feet on the back of my seat, especially when its youths and adults on a wet day . . but then I am a miserable git at times! I don't want me coat getting wet and muddy . . what is especially annoying is when they put their feet back on the chair when I go for my half time cup of (well who knows what it is) when they know I will return. As for kicking the chair during the match, I may have been lucky as the parents of kids that do it are pretty good at cutting it out.

More of a bugbear is the aforementioned half time brew. . . . you have to race up the steps at the half time whistle to ensure you get one, especially with bigger crowds. The kids serving do their best and are frie

Crewebeedoo
21-01-2014, 01:04 PM
Bah bloody humbug.

Fifty odd years ago, I'm sure I was one the troublesome kids you describe, with my dad trying to stop me running up and down the old Pop side.

Twenty odd years ago, my son was in the same bracket when I first brought him to a game. We had to get a little stool so he could see over the wall in the paddock (sorry RDS!!). Did he always behave himself - probably not, but the important thing is that both I and he are still Alex daft and following the team.

God help your missus if she inadvertently gets in front of the tv when Match of the Day is on.

I'm all for a bit of give and take as I was young once myself ;D just asking for a little bit of consideration towards other fans. And, by the way, I've been a fan of over 40 years myself and what makes you assume I'm male?!!;D

whosbrianwilson
21-01-2014, 01:08 PM
Bah bloody humbug.

I'm all for a bit of give and take as I was young once myself ;D just asking for a little bit of consideration towards other fans. And, by the way, I've been a fan of over 40 years myself

Crewebeedoo
21-01-2014, 01:14 PM
Yep but only well-behaved ones! Just need the parents to consider other people's feelings. Simple as that. It's the way I was brought up!

Adester
21-01-2014, 04:08 PM
I've been taking my eldest for the past 3 years and he's not even 7 yet, for the most part he is very well behaved. But from time to time he will, as most kids do, kick the chair in front. And frankly its not acceptable, the guy in front who sits there quite regularly did exactly the right thing, called him by and asked him to stop.

I didn't realise he was doing it so of course hadn't told him prior to this, you can be sure I keep an eye on it now, and as kids do he forgets from time to time and does it again.

Its annoying I agree as I would really hate it, but you just need to politely ask them or their parents to stop it. and just remember that kids don't understand things like we do, and parents eyes tend to be on the match so its all about having a little patients and realising that you are not the only person in the world, and give and take is what makes the world go round.

AlexLeicester
21-01-2014, 04:26 PM
As an old stick-in-the-mud, grumbly, I abhor any move to curtail a policy of 'catch 'em young'. There is only so long that I will be sitting at Gresty Road (let's think decades rather than months :-D ) and it is ***** that when I have to give up my ST, someone younger steps in.
Concentration spans of kids under 7 or 8 are almost invariably short and that is acceptable: what I find unacceptable is adults standing in front of me; having to nip to the loo every 20 mins or so; and slowly, oh so slowly, shuffling along to get a coffee or whatever before the ref has blown for half time.

More kids please ...

somersetcrewe
21-01-2014, 05:32 PM
Perfect example on Saturday - father with two small boys who didn't sit down all afternoon and kept running up and down the row of empty seats, he was too busy on his mobile to even care what they were up to

Call me a grumpy old sod but I agree with this one especially, and not just at football matches!

Cinemas, cafes, supermarkets, DIY stores - some parents just don't give two hoots what their kids do and need to take more responsibility. Some don't even notice what's going on which is bad enough ... but worse, some do - and think it's funny!

Sure take them to the football - but involve them!

CreweGym
21-01-2014, 06:46 PM
Pfffftt, main stand gripes. Reap what you sow, first world problems ala :-o

RedandWhiteSpartan
22-01-2014, 12:48 PM
Part of the problem in the concourse at half-time is people ordering their tea, coffee, pie, confectionary etc and staying in front of the till to collect their drinks>:( ...move to the side to collect and then the next person can get their order in, the staff behind are very happy to do that, more efficient, queue moves faster, simples!

Adester
22-01-2014, 03:49 PM
Perfect example on Saturday - father with two small boys who didn't sit down all afternoon and kept running up and down the row of empty seats, he was too busy on his mobile to even care what they were up to

Call me a grumpy old sod but I agree with this one especially, and not just at football matches!

Cinemas, cafes, supermarkets, DIY stores - some parents just don't give two hoots what their kids do and need to take more responsibility. Some don't even notice what's going on which is bad enough ... but worse, some do - and think it's funny!

Sure take them to the football - but involve them![/quote]

Well that's the difference isn't it, Kids will be kids, but parents should be parents and control them when its appropriate. But again I would say patience is a virtue because sometimes you don't realise your kids are being a nuisance.

AstonAlex
22-01-2014, 03:56 PM
Hmm, except that the young ladies on the tills work faster than those getting the drinks and you end up with a long line of people jostling for their drinks! The lines I go to will only let one customer wait for their drinks whilst serving one other, which is pretty sensible.

Last night we had the classic situation of one drinks machine out of order (leaving one working at our counter) . . . and then the till jammed!!

It was like Fred Karno's behind the counter!!

whosbrianwilson
22-01-2014, 04:13 PM
Hmm, except that the young ladies on the tills work faster than those getting the drinks and you end up with a long line of people jostling for their drinks! The lines I go to will only let one customer wait for their drinks whilst serving one other, which is pretty sensible.

Last night we had the classic situation of one drinks machine out of order (leaving one working at our counter) . . . and then the till jammed!!

It was like Fred Karno's behind the counter!!

Added to which the supervisor was trying to get us to move from 3rd place in our queue to the back of a 20 ish long adjacent queue, all because "the machine is slow"

The whole half time tea/coffee situation under the main stand is a bit of a joke to be honest.

How come every other away ground does it better? Including the non league grounds with supposedly less resources.

somersetcrewe
22-01-2014, 04:38 PM
How come every other away ground does it better? Including the non league grounds with supposedly less resources.

Because significantly lower attendances means significantly shorter queues!!?? ;D
Sorry, couldn't resist!
I take your general point!

Mojofilter
22-01-2014, 04:38 PM
Urgh... Getting a drink at half time is always a chore and I often don't bother.

Plenty of ways that they could improve it... Most obvious seems to be start making drinks before people order them so that there's a small pool or ready made ones when you order. They're always too hot to drink straight away so it being sat around for 3-4 minutes wouldn't be a problem.
They might end up with a few wasted cups but the mark up on those drinks is massive so it would be more than cancelled out if they sold a couple extra from the queue going down faster.

If they did that they could even have an express lane for people that only want drinks and have the right money. Each till easily knock a drink every 10 seconds with that system.