PDA

View Full Version : A settled eleven

poltergeist
21-01-2014, 09:35 PM
I feel that now we have off-loaded Campbell Rochina Orr & Songo'o, As long as we retain Rhodes, Bowyer can now concentrate on getting a settled eleven,,"not sure about Best", We really need this home win against Derby to get us back on track for the play-off push.

Is it just me or does anyone else feel that the future is bright. :)

Stan_van_nel
21-01-2014, 10:02 PM
Hello Saxogeneraljordangeist.

You're doing well with the uppercase letters mind.

poltergeist
22-01-2014, 09:29 AM
>:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

DER :/

alfinyalcabo
22-01-2014, 10:18 AM
1/10...must try harder Saxo. XD

Bobcrompton1896
22-01-2014, 10:54 AM
Think your jumping the gun a bit.

Not to put too big a dampner on it,but DJ Campbell & SongoO at least could be back next season. :( So could one or two others such as Slew & Rochina. Maybe we should try and use any spare cash to pay up the contracts of Etuhu,Martin Olsson etc before we get totally overloaded with dead wood.

Hate to say it again,but we could do worse than follow Burnleys example. How come they dont get players injured like most other clubs :? :?

poltergeist
23-01-2014, 01:06 AM
Think your jumping the gun a bit.

Not to put too big a dampner on it,but DJ Campbell & SongoO at least could be back next season. :( So could one or two others such as Slew & Rochina. Maybe we should try and use any spare cash to pay up the contracts of Etuhu,Martin Olsson etc before we get totally overloaded with dead wood.

Thank's for your input Bob,as I see it we are well on the way to getting our priorities right in establishing a solid team,there must be a lot of behind the scene going on's that us fans dont comprehend, Imo players that have been taken on under different management such as Etuhu and Olsson still deserve the chance to prove theirselves as capable canditates to join the squad.

As for Burnley,,,,,Watch this space ;)

Hate to say it again,but we could do worse than follow Burnleys example. How come they dont get players injured like most other clubs :? :?

AucklandRover
23-01-2014, 01:31 AM
I'm not sure "settled team" is a phrase that means much in football any more. Of course, sometimes a manager has few options, and - all credit to Burnley - it has worked very well for them this season. However, you only need three pulled hamstrings in a week and it all goes pear-shaped.
This is the era of big squads and flexible line-ups. When the changes work (as against Leeds), everyone praises the manager's vision. When it doesn't, everyone moans about chopping and changing.
I favour a middle way where you match the team to particular opponents and/or vary your line-up depending on whether it is a home or away game.
For example, some teams press very hard in midfield. Against them, you have to use the long ball and and a target-striker more. Against "passing" teams, you can afford a slower build-up. When you know you are going to be under a lot of pressure, you have to field a team that can counter-attack quickly, with two fast wide men. And so on.
All these require subtle changes

champs95
23-01-2014, 08:29 AM
All this 'we should be following Burnleys example' stuff is very confusing.
If you started watching football in the 2013/14 season, fair enough, you can be forgiven. Especially if you had no awawareness of history etc.
If you had been aware, youd see Burnley are just like any other lower league side. Mostly awful. Usually sell all their best players. No money, average manager. One season in 4 or 5 poor ones doesnt mean a club like ours needs to follow. Other than the last promotion under,Coyle, and now under Dyche, Burnley are poor each and every season. This is a one off, thats all. You get these freak occurances in Football. There is no sustainability. If they went up, they wont stop up. So its weird folk want to 'follow' this one off season they are having. Its good to see them at the top. But itd not regular. Its twice in 30 odd years.

Howie5o
23-01-2014, 10:52 AM
If you started watching football in the 2013/14 season, fair enough, you can be forgiven. Especially if you had no awawareness of history etc.
If you had been aware, youd see Burnley are just like any other lower league side. Mostly awful. Usually sell all their best players. No money, average manager. One season in 4 or 5 poor ones doesnt mean a club like ours needs to follow. Other than the last promotion under,Coyle, and now under Dyche, Burnley are poor each and every season. This is a one off, thats all. You get these freak occurances in Football. There is no sustainability. If they went up, they wont stop up. So its weird folk want to 'follow' this one off season they are having. Its good to see them at the top. But itd not regular. Its twice in 30 odd years.

I think you're missing the point Here champs..I dont think anyone wants the club to be run

champs95
23-01-2014, 11:17 AM

I think you're missing the point Here champs..

Howie5o
23-01-2014, 11:26 AM

duncandisorderley
23-01-2014, 12:00 PM
[quote="Howie5o"]All this 'we should be following Burnleys example' stuff is very confusing.
If you had been aware, youd see Burnley are just like any other lower league side. Mostly awful. Usually sell all their best players. No money, average manager. One season in 4 or 5 poor ones doesnt mean a club like ours needs to follow. Other than the last promotion under,Coyle, and now under Dyche, Burnley are poor each and every season. This is a one off, thats all. You get these freak occurances in Football. There is no sustainability. If they went up, they wont stop up. So its weird folk want to 'follow' this one off season they are having. Its good to see them at the top. But itd not

Stan_van_nel
23-01-2014, 12:10 PM
'If you started watching football in the 2013/14 season, fair enough, you can be forgiven. Especially if you had no awawareness of history etc.
If you had been aware, youd see Burnley are just like any other lower league side'

So which one are you Champs, unaware of history or just started watching football this season?

We've been in the second tier or above for 14 years now and have only spent 18 seasons in the lower leagues. I think you've got us mixed up with Bury.

'Usually sell all their best players'

So do most clubs, that's how they make a do. If Blackburn stay in the Championship for much longer then they will be selling their best players, like they did in the Premier League.

'Burnley are poor each and every season'

I really don't know how we've coped as fans of a club that does nothing at all ever. Does it mean we are better fans than most? It must do.

'There is no sustainability'

You clearly don't know the definition of that word. Selling players, finding young new

champs95
23-01-2014, 12:11 PM
[quote="Howie5o"]All this 'we should be following Burnleys example' stuff is very confusing.
If you had been aware, youd see Burnley are just like any other lower league side. Mostly awful. Usually sell all their best players. No money, average manager. One season in 4 or 5 poor ones doesnt mean a club like ours needs to follow. Other than the last promotion under,Coyle, and now under Dyche, Burnley are poor each and every season. This is a one off, thats all. You get these freak occurances in Football. There is no sustainability. If they went up, they wont stop up. So its weird folk want to 'follow' this one off season they are having. Its good to see them at the top. But itd not

champs95
23-01-2014, 12:24 PM
[quote="Stan_van_nel"]'If you started watching football in the 2013/14 season, fair enough, you can be forgiven. Especially if you had no awawareness of history etc.
If you had been aware, youd see Burnley are just like any other lower league side'

So which one are you Champs, unaware of history or just started watching football this season?

We've been in the second tier or above for 14 years now and have only spent 18 seasons in the lower leagues. I think you've got us mixed up with Bury.

'Usually sell all their best players'

So do most clubs, that's how they make a do. If Blackburn stay in the Championship for much longer then they will be selling their best players, like they did in the Premier League.

'Burnley are poor each and every season'

I really don't know how we've coped as fans of a club that does nothing at all ever. Does it mean we are better fans than most? It must do.

'There is no sustainability'

You clearly don't know the definition

Stan_van_nel
23-01-2014, 12:41 PM
Oh good, you've moved the goalposts yet again.

'Your seruiously comparing yourself to us?'

No just putting your drivel about Burnley right.

'You seem to have an arrogant view of Bury too'

Wrong. I used Bury as an example of a lower league club because you profess to be a fan of them.

'If your talking on a Bury level - then yes Id say Burnley did well. On our level?
your miles away, and you know you are'

Who's being arrogant? We are exactly at the same level at this moment in time, not that my post was anything to do with comparing Burnley with Blackburn.

B'But as you say, you have absolutely no idea about Rovers and know nothing about us, or care'

I've said this when?

'Unlike you, who states they have no interest in Rovers'

And again, when have I said that?

If you are going to post and discuss Burnley then be prepared to be put right on certain things. That doesn't mean it always has to resort to a willy measuring contest between Burnley and Blackburn every time.

champs95
23-01-2014, 02:03 PM
[quote="Stan_van_nel"]Oh good, you've moved the goalposts yet again.

'Your seruiously comparing yourself to us?'

No just putting your drivel about Burnley right.

'You seem to have an arrogant view of Bury too'

Wrong. I used Bury as an example of a lower league club because you profess to be a fan of them.

'If your talking on a Bury level - then yes Id say Burnley did well. On our level?
your miles away, and you know you are'

Who's being arrogant? We are exactly at the same level at this moment in time, not that my post was anything to do with comparing Burnley with Blackburn.

B'But as you say, you have absolutely no idea about Rovers and know nothing about us, or care'

I've said this when?

'Unlike you, who states they have no interest in Rovers'

And again, when have I said that?

If you are going to post and discuss Burnley then be prepared to be put right on certain things. That doesn't mean it always has to resort to a willy measuring contest be

Stan_van_nel
23-01-2014, 02:50 PM
You still aren't getting it Champs and you've gone off on a wild tangent.

'equally, if you mention my other club, Bury, expect I will put you right. Im suprised you arent more aware of them?'

I'm well aware of Bury, what with watching them against Burnley at Gigg Lane and t'Turf, not to mention us getting one of our best managers in recent times from them. That's not the point and not what my initial replying post was about when you posted this... 'Burnley are just like any other lower league side'.

I gave you the Bury example because they've spent half of their history in the 'lower leagues' and are in the lower leagues now at present. Burnley aren't like any other lower league side due to us not being a lower league side and only spending less than a fifth of our history there.

You also can't as a fan of another club tell other fans what a decent season is for them.

I could say (plucking a random club out of the air) that Stoke City haven't had a decent season since they were p

champs95
23-01-2014, 03:24 PM
[quote="Stan_van_nel"]You still aren't getting it Champs and you've gone off on a wild tangent.

'equally, if you mention my other club, Bury, expect I will put you right. Im suprised you arent more aware of them?'

I'm well aware of Bury, what with watching them against Burnley at Gigg Lane and t'Turf, not to mention us getting one of our best managers in recent times from them. That's not the point and not what my initial replying post was about when you posted this... 'Burnley are just like any other lower league side'.

I gave you the Bury example because they've spent half of their history in the 'lower leagues' and are in the lower leagues now at present. Burnley aren't like any other lower league side due to us not being a lower league side and only spending less than a fifth of our history there.

You also can't as a fan of another club tell other fans what a decent season is for them.

I could say (plucking a random club out of the air) that Stoke

dunn0709
23-01-2014, 03:27 PM

I think you're missing the point Here champs..

dunn0709
23-01-2014, 03:31 PM
, Id like to chat more later. Not being rude, just frikking Fri meetings!!! :blue:

If this statment is true Champs you may be back on this messageboard quicker than you think. ;D

alfinyalcabo
23-01-2014, 04:16 PM
, Id like to chat more later. Not being rude, just frikking Fri meetings!!! :blue:

If this statment is true Champs you may be back on this messageboard quicker than you think. ;D[/quote]

Champs never has known what day it was Dunny.. XD XD

champs95
23-01-2014, 05:34 PM
So...Im sat in my fri meetung thinking wtf where is everyone.
Waited for 40 mins before realising...derrrr...this isnt Fri! What a c0ck. :D :D

In my defence I break up from work today for a long weekend...so my head says Fri...

Im glad I sent that email to my colleagues before realising it was thurs...having a go that nobody attended!

AucklandRover
24-01-2014, 08:01 PM

DanRrr
24-01-2014, 09:09 PM
He has made tactical errors, but he has put together a decent group of NEW players, and the process of shipping out dead weight seems to be accelerating.

I have a feeling that with less personel to have to deal with, eating up his time; coupled the decent group, that he may make less tactical errors Aucks. There's nothing like having more time to focus on what matters.

AucklandRover
25-01-2014, 07:41 PM
He has made tactical errors, but he has put together a decent group of NEW players, and the process of shipping out dead weight seems to be accelerating.

I have a feeling that with less personel to have to deal with, eating up his time; coupled the decent group, that he may make less tactical errors Aucks. There's nothing like having more time to focus on what matters.[/quote]

Dan - Needle's post on a different thread illustrates what I mean about tactical naivety at times. OK, some who went simply conclude that Derby are a very good team, but there does seem to be a pattern of not being able to sustain our form for a whole game.
This is where the correct use of David Dunn is *****. He has the class and experience needed in pressure situations.
Again, though, this does not make me particularly critical of GB. I just think it is a season too soon to be serious about considering prom