PDA

View Full Version : Ben Garrett

DGFG
21-01-2014, 11:15 PM
Very gifted athlete, seems to have the right temperament, good shotstopper, kicks it a mile.

Just needs to bulk up physically and more experience so that he has 'presence', this will come in time.

Let's stick with him until he does something which suggests he needs taking out of the firing line.

Looks like he could go right to the very top to me.

I've spelt his wrong, have n't I?

Timon
21-01-2014, 11:58 PM
Agreed, Ben's our player & we know he has tremendous potential.

ShropshireAlex
22-01-2014, 11:30 AM
Very gifted athlete, seems to have the right temperament, good shotstopper, kicks it a mile.

Just needs to bulk up physically and more experience so that he has 'presence', this will come in time.

Let's stick with him until he does something which suggests he needs taking out of the firing line.

Looks like he could go right to the very top to me.

I've spelt his wrong, have n't I?

Yes you have ;D

Whee! Finally managed to log in again - first time since server changed.

I agree, Ben Garratt's looking VERY promising.

Downer
22-01-2014, 11:54 AM
Ben has come on leaps and bounds this season, through hard work and putting into practise what he is learning on the training ground and the experience he is gaining with every game, all credit to him and he is begining to look the real deal.
Some of his improvement must be down to our keeper coach Steve Phillips who i understand spends hours almost every day with Ben and others and cements my view that at last we have awoken to the fact that a club competing at this level does need a full time keeper coach.
Finaly SD please stop keeping on about a loan goalkeeper, lets stick with Ben he gets better with each game.

ShropshireAlex
23-01-2014, 03:37 PM
Ben has come on leaps and bounds this season, through hard work and putting into practise what he is learning on the training ground and the experience he is gaining with every game, all credit to him and he is begining to look the real deal.
Some of his improvement must be down to our keeper coach Steve Phillips who i understand spends hours almost every day with Ben and others and cements my view that at last we have awoken to the fact that a club competing at this level does need a full time keeper coach.
Finaly SD please stop keeping on about a loan goalkeeper, lets stick with Ben he gets better with each game.

I agree, and about SP's role. Was very pleased to see the programme quote him as saying Bakes had told him they want him around next season as coach and 3rd keeper if he can get the shoulder a bit stronger, having decided they need three.

Crewe313
23-01-2014, 04:08 PM
I think we should also keep with Ben. I made a point on another feed that Joe Hart was playing first team football at Shrewsbury Town at an early age. The only way he will progress quickly is by playing first team football. I don't want to see a has-been keeper or one who has always played in the lower leagues or another inexperienced keeper from a prem team in goal. I want players where we can see there progression and are from our academy, and for some reason Keepers have never done that at Crewe.

Steve Philips needs to be kept as an experienced back up and can teach Ben a lot about commanding an area. Martin is a waste of space. Not a good goalkeeper and it seems he has a terrible attitude. If he wanted the no 1 shirt, then this season was his best chance and he has not delivered. That leaves the space open for one more keeper.

I do understand people's points that at this stage of the season you want someone with that experience. However, he is never going to gain it if you don't

AlexLeicester
23-01-2014, 04:16 PM
I agree with lot of what Crewe313 says, but it is a very difficult choice.
Phillips, with his injury, cannot play a full game, but is doing well coaching.
Martin: I know nothing about his attitude - and last season it seemed to be exemplary - but he is clearly not up to team level.
Ben is doing fine, but he is young and, whilst he was exceptional on Tuesday, it is a bit much to ask him to replicate that every game.

We are also in a precarious league position and someone of Neil Etheridge's skill and command would give the leaky back four confidence.

All that said, I have been really impressed with Ben in recent weeks.

somersetcrewe
04-02-2014, 12:10 PM
Keen to know what people think today, I suspect the views are unchanged given our recent improved defensive record.
It's obvious that he still needs to learn how to command his area like Phillips does, choose when it's right to punch and when to catch, many crosses still (when viewed from afar) seem to cause mayhem in the 6-yard box but this is all good experience.

I bring it up now because George Long was in the other net on Saturday, he's young and still raw but Sheff U are sticking with him. Many a time I have seen clips of him and thought how vulnerable he looks. Clearly they see the potential to persist with him and here's hoping we do likewise with Ben. It's gonna be a roller coaster ride but - boy! - how good will he be when he comes out the other side!?!
I bet he's loving it!!

AlexLeicester
04-02-2014, 01:25 PM
I've changed my mind on Ben. Yes, he has some improvements to make, but he is looking the real deal every time I see him now. First team suits him, and he is getting ever more confident.

With Phillips in the 2nd choice berth, do we have a youngster (is it Johnson?) who could step up?
Very difficult choice. It might be a bit easier if we get some points over the next two or three games and can, if not relax, then at least breath some mid-table air.

DGFG
04-02-2014, 03:42 PM
This is nit-picking but...

I noticed Steve miming a catch after one the crosses which Ben palmed/punched out on Saturday, not particularly helpful to Ben and not taking into account the devilish wind which meant the ball would have been swirling around.

Did n't have a lot to do Sat, went down well and bravely at the feet of the guy in on goal early in second half, and scooped a dangerous looking free kick out similar to those which you sometimes see go in without anybody getting a touch even though they are meant as crosses.

He's doing unbelievably well, really - especially as we've been struggling and every mistake will be magnified.

The vibes are that SD still wants to bring another 'keeper in but I suspect and hope he is waiting for Etheridge to get fit - would n't argue with that but would be harsh on Ben to bring anybody else in at the moment.

As I've written before, he may well need taking out of the firing line at some point but the signs are that he is going to be very,ve

whosbrianwilson
04-02-2014, 04:22 PM
Like any young player he will have his ups and downs, and will need resting from the first team at some point. It happens to all developing players no matter which league or position.

I'm sure Steve's concern is that when Ben hits the buffers, albeit temporarily, we have an alternative in place.