PDA

View Full Version : Bauhaus

just_joe
22-01-2014, 08:24 PM
Just listening to Bela Lugosi's Dead, there.

Super song.

Part of the Manchester music revival of the late 70s and early 80s, Bauhaus developed an alternative sounds that really was pre-goth punk and incredibly innovative.

A lot of what they did failed to hit the mark, but there a definitely a few gems that influenced many successful artists who came after them.

ISZ
22-01-2014, 08:26 PM
cool, this should keep woland busy all night.

1995_Oh_My_Sides_
22-01-2014, 08:28 PM
Just listening to Bela Lugosi's Dead, there.

Super song.

Part of the Manchester music revival of the late 70s and early 80s, Bauhaus developed an alternative sounds that really was pre-goth punk and incredibly innovative.

A lot of what they did failed to hit the mark, but there a definitely a few gems that influenced many successful artists who came after them.

I don't normally open you or TainTits threads but I did tonight. And you're right, it's a great song.

arab777
22-01-2014, 08:36 PM
Bauhaus were a great band even if Pete did border on the theatrical at times. - view external link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qxqq5vahHKk)

just_joe
22-01-2014, 09:36 PM
They were only together for around five years, as well.

Hugely influencial in the rise of goth-rock.

I can't help hearing the influence of post-punk, pre-goth Joy Division in their music, and I can definitely hear Bauhaus themselves, In later, alternative avante garde post-goth bands like Portishead.

happytim
22-01-2014, 11:18 PM
the late 70,s to mid 80,s was the peak time in pop music for such a diversity of sound, techniques, genres and image.

so many bands, all trying to be different, adopting thier own style which made it difficult to copy.

hiphop and rap which came in soon after killed the music industry.

just_joe
22-01-2014, 11:25 PM
I remain completely unmoved by hip-hop and rap. To me, the musical value there is next to nothing and it's more about image projection and theatrics. It's showmanship, but has little to do with music.

I agree completely that pop music lost it's way from that point on until today, where it's dominated by totally overproduced pop by the likes of beyonce, perry, and gaga. It's all about the glam and celebrity now, not about the music.

happytim
22-01-2014, 11:29 PM
it was also argued music in the early 80,s was overproduced and all about image, which it was at times, but generally the music was superb.

can understand what people see in hiphop/rap shyte. its not even a song.

the 70,s and 80,s in particular were so diverse in every sense musically, there was so much choice, also a lot of crap too, as bands like the housemartins and clowns like rick astley would testify.

just_joe
23-01-2014, 05:51 PM
it was also argued music in the early 80,s was overproduced and all about image, which it was at times, but generally the music was superb.

can understand what people see in hiphop/rap shyte. its not even a song.

the 70,s and 80,s in particular were so diverse in every sense musically, there was so much choice, also a lot of crap too, as bands like the housemartins and clowns like rick astley would testify.

I think you've hit the nail on the head, Happyguy.

At least the music in the late 70s/early 80s was creative, original, and developed for it's musical merit, nothing else. It was much later when "manufactured" music became the dominant force.

This has not degenerated to the point where the mass marketing "star-maker" companies look for an image (such as Beiber, Beyonce, JLo, etc.) and if they have a bare minimum of talent, that's all that's needed.

The marketing company then has some underpaid "songwriter" crank out formu

BertrandRussell
23-01-2014, 06:03 PM

That's rubbish. Like all genres of music, rap has some very talented artists.

Greed and Capitalism have killed the music industry (and yes, Hip-Hop culture nowadays seems to symbolise this but at it's heart, it is the exact opposite).

just_joe
23-01-2014, 06:09 PM

That's rubbish. Like all genres of music, rap has some very talented artists.

Greed and Capitalism have killed the music industry (and yes, Hip-Hop culture nowadays seems to symbolise this but at it's heart, it is the exact opposite).[/quote]

No, no that's not correct, Bertie old girl.

Hip hop, and to a greater degree, rap realies much more on the charisma and "coolness" of the "artist" than the quality of the music itself. The beats are primitive and largely unimaginitive, and the musical contents minimal and not the most important aspect.

As genres, hip-hop and rap are much more about image, charisma, and lyrical message than music.

BertrandRussell
23-01-2014, 06:11 PM
I think you misread my post, sambo.