PDA

View Full Version : Queens Kello connection

JRSLEFTPEG
23-01-2014, 10:33 PM
Sad to hear of the problems that Kello Rovers have at the moment and that they could fold because of lack of a commitee/ volunteers . Got me thinking about all the players Qos have signed from Kirconnels Kello Rovers . Anyone want to start us off ?

QoS02
23-01-2014, 11:04 PM
Jim Kerr.

Francis_begbie_HFC
24-01-2014, 12:04 AM
the famous gordie jiro cloy

palmylad
24-01-2014, 08:11 AM
Billy Sim & Ian Mitchell

palmylad
24-01-2014, 08:15 AM
Sad to hear of the problems that Kello Rovers have at the moment and that they could fold because of lack of a commitee/ volunteers . Got me thinking about all the players Qos have signed from Kirconnels Kello Rovers . Anyone want to start us off ?

http://i39.tinypic.com/2hqwme0.jpg

jardi
24-01-2014, 08:47 AM
Symptomatic of football at all levels I'm afraid.

It would be a tragedy if Kello were to fold as the losers will be the young people of Kirkconnel who will have no team to play for.

Football is sadly dying from the grass roots and the people at the top of our game cannot and do not want to accept it.

nithvalley
24-01-2014, 04:51 PM
Ian Mitchell was from Nithsdale Amateurs I think.

Was ' Ches ' not from Kello ?

Only going by memory from boyhood programmes - the little blue ones that cost 5p !

Allan Ball - Stanley United
Mike Barker - Bishop Auckland
Billy Collings - Cambuslang Rangers
John Dempster - Muirkirk Juniors
Ronnie Hamilton - Kilmarnock
Matt Watson - Kilmarnock
Tony Connell - St.Mirren
Tommy Bryce Mk. 1 - Johnstone Burgh
Willie Bradley - Johnstone Burgh
Jim Donald - Renfrew Juniors.

Sorry, a little carried away by sentiment there !

How times have changed though as we very rarely take players from the Juniors now where the Programme used to be full of them.

It is not uncommon for this to happen with the smaller Junior outfits.

Lugar, Muirkirk and others have all experienced similar circumstances but are still around.

palmylad
24-01-2014, 05:34 PM
Ian Mitchell was from Nithsdale Amateurs I think.

Was ' Ches ' not from Kello ?

Only going by memory from boyhood programmes - the little blue ones that cost 5p !

Allan Ball - Stanley United
Mike Barker - Bishop Auckland
Billy Collings - Cambuslang Rangers
John Dempster - Muirkirk Juniors
Ronnie Hamilton - Kilmarnock
Matt Watson - Kilmarnock
Tony Connell - St.Mirren
Tommy Bryce Mk. 1 - Johnstone Burgh
Willie Bradley - Johnstone Burgh
Jim Donald - Renfrew Juniors.

Sorry, a little carried away by sentiment there !

How times have changed though as we very rarely take players from the Juniors now where the Programme used to be full of them.

It is not uncommon for this to happen with the smaller Junior outfits.

Lugar, Muirkirk and others have all experienced similar circumstances but are still around.

Indeed , I misread the question . Mitch signed from Nithsdale Amateurs before playing for Kello after he left Queens

JRSLEFTPEG
24-01-2014, 06:44 PM
Good reply NV . I knew you would have a lot of knowledge of this question.

farfaehame
24-01-2014, 06:50 PM
Of our current players Kevin Holt has a Kello connection.

His father played many a game in their colours

JRSLEFTPEG
24-01-2014, 06:56 PM

It would be a tragedy if Kello were to fold as the losers will be the young people of Kirkconnel who will have no team to play for.

Football is sadly dying from the grass roots and the people at the top of our game cannot and do not want to accept it. I know what you mean Jardi. Palmylad lad brought in a Saturday Amateur handbook to work from the 82-3 season. If I can remember properly, there were 25 teams in the two leagues as opposed to seven in one league now . One thing in the past that I did have against the Saturday League was their reluctance to change their ko times to earlier ones. This could have meant that amateurs could have played and then visited Palmerston if they so wished . They were always unwilling to budge on this and if I was Queens chairman - at the time - I would have told them to take a run and jump when wanting Palmerston for cup finals . A bit of give and t

QoS02
24-01-2014, 08:27 PM

Football is sadly dying from the grass roots and the people at the top of our game cannot and do not want to accept it. I know what you mean Jardi. Palmylad lad brought in a Saturday Amateur handbook to work from the 82-3 season. If I can remember properly, there were 25 teams in the two leagues as opposed to seven in one league now . One thing in the past that I did have against the Saturday League was their reluctance to change their ko times to earlier ones. This could have meant that amateurs could have played and then visited Palmerston if they so wished . They were always unwilling to budge on this and if I was Queens chairman - at the time - I would have told them to take a run and jump when wanting

JRSLEFTPEG
24-01-2014, 08:54 PM
I used to go along and watch Heathhall Hearts when I was young and Queens were away. Stopped when buses started going regular to South away games. Used to watch in amazement at half time of all these men desperate for their turn at the draw of the fags getting passed around . Heathhall Hearts used to have a goals machine called Chucky McGraw . A big stout fellow with a bushy red beard if I can remember properly who looked like a Viking .He seemed to have the knack of getting on the end of everything .

topfitter
24-01-2014, 08:59 PM
Kind of surprised Troqueer not on the list.

palmylad
24-01-2014, 09:18 PM

Football is sadly dying from the grass roots and the people at the top of our game cannot and do not want to accept it. I know what you mean Jardi. Palmylad lad brought in a Saturday Amateur handbook to work from the 82-3 season. If I can remember properly, there were 25 teams in the two leagues as opposed to seven in one league now . One thing in the past that I did have against the Saturday League was their reluctance to change their ko times to earlier ones. This could have meant that amateurs could have played and then visited Palmerston if they so wished . They were always unwilling to budge on this and if I was Queens chairman - at the time - I would have to

QoS02
24-01-2014, 09:29 PM

Football is sadly dying from the grass roots and the people at the top of our game cannot and do not want to accept it. I know what you mean Jardi. Palmylad lad brought in a Saturday Amateur handbook to work from the 82-3 season. If I can remember properly, there were 25 teams in the two leagues as opposed to seven in one league now . One thing in the past that I did have against the Saturday League was their reluctance to change their ko times to earlier ones. This could have meant that amateurs could have played and then visited Palmerston if they so wished . They were always unwilling to budge on this and if I was Q

palmylad
24-01-2014, 09:38 PM

Football is sadly dying from the grass roots and the people at the top of our game cannot and do not want to accept it. I know what you mean Jardi. Palmylad lad brought in a Saturday Amateur handbook to work from the 82-3 season. If I can remember properly, there were 25 teams in the two leagues as opposed to seven in one league now . One thing in the past that I did have against the Saturday League was their reluctance to change their ko times to earlier ones. This could have meant that amateurs could have played and then visited Palmerston if they so wished . They were always unwilling to budge on this and if I was Queens chairman - at the time - I would have told them to take a run and jump when wanting

wull2001
24-01-2014, 11:03 PM
Billy McLeod

QoS02
24-01-2014, 11:27 PM
Billy McLeod

Don't think Queens signed him from Kello, might have went there when he left?

How about Whitey, Ian White from Sanquhar?

nithvalley
24-01-2014, 11:41 PM
Chucky McGraw, definite legend of the Amateur game.

First saw Billy McLeod when he played for Kelloholm Primary !

JRSLEFTPEG
24-01-2014, 11:47 PM
Billy McLeod

Don't think Queens signed him from Kello, might have went there when he left?

How about Whitey, Ian White from Sanquhar?[/quote] Ian White is a good one . Did Lex or Jackie Law come from Rovers ?

palmylad
25-01-2014, 11:50 AM
Retired Dumfries welder , Brian McMurdo , came from Kello Rovers to Queens and was also the last man to score against Third Lanark at Cathkin Park in a 3-3 draw way back in 1967