PDA

View Full Version : Safe standing?

sailorhuntersghost
24-01-2014, 03:19 PM
In today's Herald there is a piece about safe standing areas and would be interesting to know what views are?
For myself im really undecided i am not at all sure how Fir park in its present form would lend itself to these rail type areas they have on the continent and maybe Hillsborough showed there is no such thing as safe standing.

jwok
24-01-2014, 04:18 PM
All Hillsborough showed was that it's dangerous to cram too many on an open terrace. Safe standing areas are much better than having fans stand in front of bucket seats as is now common practice.

Wellup4it
24-01-2014, 07:08 PM
The devil is in the detail here. Where would such areas be located? Would they obscure the view of those who wanted to sit? Would folk pay the same price to stand for 90 minutes + ?

meister1991
24-01-2014, 11:07 PM
It works well in the continent. Hillsborough from memory was more about being penned in and overcrowded.

Standing areas should and would have to dramatically reduce the cost for the fans. In other countries its less than £10 per game.

Sadly I don't see it having a huge impact on crowds in Scotland. I suspect our game as we once knew it with 10's of thousands at FP is gone forever.

Yazz
25-01-2014, 08:36 PM
All good points above. FP certainly cant and shouldn't be compared to Hillsborough.

My worry is now that too many people have become accustomed to seating and many will never have stood on a terrace anyway. (Took my 18yr old nephew to Morecambe - his first experience of terracing - He Loved It).

I'd love to see this introduced, but the Shed is the only part of FP where it could be sited, posing issues for adjacent seating sections.