PDA

View Full Version : Derbies/rivalry

sergei
25-01-2014, 02:19 PM
Just scouring some forums and note they all claim to have the bitterest/longest and vocal "relationships".
Apart from the obvious what is your view? I certainly think Burnley/Blackburn is one.

bluekite
25-01-2014, 02:23 PM
Reckon from my time in the Midlands that Blues/Villa and Baggies /Yamyams are both up there in the hotbed of rivalry stakes

lovedeanblue
25-01-2014, 02:53 PM
When I did my time in Scotland I was enlightened to the fierce rivalry between the Dundee teams. Only a couple of hundred yards apart the grounds are, quite a while since they played a league derby though

pfcsteve72
25-01-2014, 06:20 PM
Watford verses Luton can be very heated, although they haven't met for a few years

proclaimer
25-01-2014, 07:16 PM
I always think anything that involves distance is more intense since people work and mix together less often. So apart from ours; Newcastle / Sunderland. Cardiff / Swansea. Norwich / Ipswich and so on. The Bristol and Brum derbies would be the exceptions that prove my rule. ;)

pfcsteve72
25-01-2014, 07:40 PM
Brighton and palace is a strange one for me, i have a picture from the 70's when they played each other and everyone was made to take off their bovver boots, and outside was rows and rows of boots, always baffled me what happened after the game when everyone returned for their boots...

gareth747474
26-01-2014, 07:49 AM
The thing about local derbies is that generally no one else seems to give a tos...monkeys.
I doubt that when we play Southampton, the rest of the country is talking about it for weeks before.

pompeygun
26-01-2014, 11:20 AM
Hearts v Hibs could apparently get pretty nasty.

pfcsteve72
29-01-2014, 08:55 PM
A mate of mine did the Milan derby a few years back, he was in the Inter end, and he said it's the scariest atmosphere he has ever experienced at a football stadium, there was darts coins and all sorts of other objects being thrown back and forth between the two sets of fans.

harvey_7
29-01-2014, 09:01 PM
I think the Rangers v Celtic derby is one of the worst in the world, alongside Fenerbahce v Galatasaray, Olympiacos v Panathanaikos & Lazio v Roma.

BlueAdder
29-01-2014, 09:22 PM
Seems to me that the animosity is between some of the fans and not between the football clubs at all. I reckon 75% of the fans of both Pompey and Soton don't like to see the other club doing better than they are, The best times are when both clubs are in the same division and get to play each other. Of the remaining 25% 0f fans, 10% don't have animosity at all and the remaining 15% are the ones filled with unreasonable hatred and are to be found posting their bile on forums or getting involved in scuffles at train stations. Quite a pathetic bunch really and most fans keep well clear and watch their antics with a mixture of disdain and amusement.

pompey_smell
29-01-2014, 10:03 PM
Well, it'll be a Pompey-Salisbury FC derby next season, assuming they don't leapfrog you of course!

The wonders of the Ray Mac stadium await, guys!