PDA

View Full Version : McManaman clash

italianlatic
25-01-2014, 08:09 PM
Callum's clash with Parr is being reported in the Daily Mail with a reference to last season's infamous tackle! Unfortunately I didn't see the game, but I wondered if it was just an accident, in which case the sly reference by the Mail is disgusting. Can anyone give me the real story? - view external link (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2545830/Jonathan-Parr-left-needing-lengthy-treatment-knocked-Callum-McManaman-co)

CowYed_Latic
25-01-2014, 08:43 PM
From the West Stand I couldn't see the incident.
But I saw Puncheon giving Macca loads of verbals right from the second half KO onwards; until Puncheon was switched to the other side of the pitch mid-half.
And Puncheon left his foot in on Macca every opportunity he got until then...

Did anyone hear what Puncheon said to him ?

jocklatic
25-01-2014, 09:08 PM
Callum's clash with Parr is being reported in the Daily Mail with a reference to last season's infamous tackle! Unfortunately I didn't see the game, but I wondered if it was just an accident, in which case the sly reference by the Mail is disgusting. Can anyone give me the real story?

Was sat in the East Stand near the incident & it was 2 players jumping to challenge for the ball. Macca was facing us & the palace player had is back to us. It seemed more of a foul our way & looked like the Palace player collided into macca whose eyes were totally on the ball. Thought at the time their player was just winded - anyone know what sort of injury???

lincolnlatic
25-01-2014, 09:52 PM
I was surprised it was given as a free kick would like to see it again but at the time i thought it should have been a free kick our way

camltoe
25-01-2014, 11:06 PM
Hmmm, having seen a replay it doesn't look as innocent as it appeared live.

WhoRYa
26-01-2014, 07:29 AM
I was in the east stand, quite low down & about level with the away end penalty area.
I haven't seen their incident again on the telly but at the time said to my mate's sister (who was complaining it wasn't a foul) that it was a very poor challenge from McManaman which looked to me like he never had any intention of winning the ball & that he jumped into with his arms in such a way that he knew they were going to clobber the Palace player. I also thought that he'd turned his back on the challenge.
Said that if I'd been refereeing a game & saw what I thought I'd saw that I would have sent him off. Looked like Jones gave him the benefit of the doubt coz he was just a fraction late & coz McManaman wasn't swinging his arm.
Just about to watch the itv highlights thingy so I'll see whether I change my mind or whether I am just really good!!!!

WhoRYa
26-01-2014, 07:39 AM
Yeah, I think I was right.
From turning his back into the challenge, to leading with his forearm, to keeping that raised as he could see the Palace player coming in, that was a reckless & dangerous challenge & IMO he should have walked for that.
I can't say whether there was any intent on McManaman's part, but there doesn't need to be, it was a horrible, dangerous challenge from him

Ihaventaclue
26-01-2014, 12:12 PM
I was sitting in east stand right in line with the incident. Looked absolutely fine to me. Both went up to get the ball and the Palace guy got in the way of macmamanaumamamumns elbow - fool that he is. My mate said he heard a thud and a crack, but I'll swear it was only thunder.

Good refereeeeing decision.

They'd been hasssling Macmamamanaumanm sommut rotten all game and 'cos of that I'm surprised he didn't take the chance to tell 'em wat for.

timeofmylife
26-01-2014, 02:02 PM
It looked innocuous live but the replays dont do Cal any favours. Hope there isnt a trial by video (again). Saying that thought Jones had a mare & didnt offer players any protection. Typical Pulis side to be honest. Hoofball, a bit nasty & a bit eager to go down. Was like watching bambi on ice as soon as they got near our area. As Clark Carlisle said last night ont telly, it was a pen but the player didn't help himself by going down in installments

lincolnlatic
26-01-2014, 10:15 PM
No sure I agree with you on this Whorya, I don't think it was excessive force at all or even reckless at most it was careless McManaman had his eye on the ball at all times he didn't lead with his elbow or jump into the palace player if anything the palace player was late in making his challenge. I think jones got this right

WhoRYa
27-01-2014, 09:43 AM
Sorry Lincoln but I think it was a shocker & it gets worse the more I watch it.
I agree that there wasn't excessive force but to say that he doesn't lead with his elbow is I'm afraid wrong.
He is leading with his forearm & elbow from the moment that he first jumps. Initially I think that that's just his natural body momentum as he tries to get the height required & not any intent to use it aggressively or even defensively.
The Palace player then jumps in for the ball & here I will agree with you, because he was never going to get to that ball first & had McManaman not had his arm raised & headed the ball with the front of his head then the Palace player I think would have clattered him after the ball had gone & given away the free kick.
I think that McManaman can see this late challenge coming & starts to turn his back on the challenge whilst in mid air. That in itself is when the first offence is committed coz if you turn your back whilst making an aerial challenge you are no longer m

WhoRYa
27-01-2014, 10:40 AM
Out of interest Lincoln is yoru view based purely on what you saw at the time or have you seen replays of the challenge on the telly?

Just wondering coz I've slowed the footage right down, almost frame by frame & the ball hits McManaman not square on the back of the head but rear left (South-west if his head was a compass!!) so I'm not sure how that tallies with your view that he always had his eye on the ball
Likewise, he is always leading with his forearm & elblow as soon as he leaves the ground

Not arguing with you just curious as to whether you've seen the footage or not

lincolnlatic
27-01-2014, 07:20 PM
I saw the challenge again on the internet but just at full speed. but think we will just have to agree to disagree on this, I am not saying it was not a foul, at first i thought it was a case of the palace player jumping into macca having seen the replay i still think it was just careless although i could accept an argument for it being reckless which would have resulted in a yellow at most I still don't think it was a red card though.

WhoRYa
27-01-2014, 09:00 PM
Fair enough but Graham Poll agrees with me in today's Daily Mail ;-)

Ihaventaclue
27-01-2014, 09:05 PM
Think yourself lucky ... no one has ever agreed with me, let alone in the Daily Mail;D or this board!! Ahhhh shame!