PDA

View Full Version : Today's cup draw

Brockley_Jack
26-01-2014, 10:46 AM
So who do you want? Obviously Citeh away wouldn't be ideal but a home draw against the likes of sheff Weds would.

Personally I'm going with selfishness and hoping for either Charlton or the peg sellers away. Local clubs for me, nice and easy!

PapaLazarou
26-01-2014, 11:01 AM
Home draw, first and foremost - sorry Brocks, similarly selfish reasons.. ;D

As for opponents, I'm torn - a lower league club for a better chance of progression to the next round, but City, Liverpool, etc would make for a cracking cup tie at a packed SMS..

ShottermillSaint
26-01-2014, 12:22 PM
Home draw please, thats all i'm asking for

Probably get City of Liverpool away though

Dirtyweasel
26-01-2014, 01:05 PM
For anyone interested, the numbers in todays draw will be as follows :

1 Sunderland
2 Cardiff City
3 Southampton
4 Charlton Athletic
5 Brighton & Hove Albion
6 Nottingham Forest or Preston North End
7 Hull City
8 Sheffield Wednesday
9 Arsenal
10 Stevenage or Everton
11 Wigan Athletic
12 Chelsea or Stoke City
13 Manchester City
14 Liverpool
15 Swansea City
16 Sheffield United or Fulham

Draw to be made by Andros Townsend and his dad, Troy at around 5.30pm tonight.

harvey_7
26-01-2014, 04:52 PM
We can beat anyone at home, but I'd like either Charlton, Sheffield Wednesday or Brighton.

proclaimer
26-01-2014, 05:27 PM
Obviously home is better but if we did have an away trip then Wigan or Sheffield Wednesday would be OK.

proclaimer
26-01-2014, 05:39 PM
Sunderland Away ... again !

I guess we might have a different team this time.

A couple of big draws in there as well.

Dirtyweasel
****in' Sunderland away - again. Sh1t, but winnable.

PapaLazarou
Bloody Sunderland away.. What a crap draw.. :/

Still, two from Arsenal, City, Chelsea & Liverpool will go out in the next round..

Brockley_Jack
26-01-2014, 05:40 PM
Loving the fact that the "big 4" all drew each other!

Sunderland away? Hmmm, not too happy with that.

Sinned
26-01-2014, 05:43 PM
Played them 3 times this season, and we've yet to win. This is the chance to put that right.

harvey_7
26-01-2014, 05:43 PM
Will be a tough game but definite winnable!

Good to see the big 4 have all got eachother.

Brockley_Jack
26-01-2014, 05:51 PM
I reckon we'll take them to a replay and get though at SMS.

OhWell
26-01-2014, 05:55 PM

Still, two from Arsenal, City, Chelsea & Liverpool will go out in the next round..

Could be worse. We have an excellent away record against Sunderland and have usually won or drawn our games there. The 2-1 League Cup game was our only defeat up there in recent decades.

proclaimer
26-01-2014, 05:58 PM

I'd take that.

Pentridge
26-01-2014, 06:08 PM

Could be worse. We have an excellent away record against Sunderland and have usually won or drawn our games there. The 2-1 League Cup game was our only defeat up there in recent decades.[/quote]

I thought you were a skate!

Pentridge
26-01-2014, 06:09 PM

Exactly, get through this and progress is a distinct possibility.

OhWell
26-01-2014, 06:09 PM

I'd take that.[/quote]

Sunderland wouldn't be up for a replay in the week of their League Cup Final. They'd probably field their reserves.

Brockley_Jack
26-01-2014, 06:10 PM

Could be worse. We have an excellent away record against Sunderland and have usually won or drawn our games there. The 2-1 League Cup game was our only defeat up there in recent decades.[/quote]

I thought you were a skate![/quote]

I thought you were a skate! ;D

Brockley_Jack
26-01-2014, 06:12 PM

I'd take that.[/quote]

Sunderland wouldn't be up for a replay in the week of their League Cup Final. They'd probably field their reserves.[/quote]

Valid point actually and one that could work in our favour anyway for the tie. I hadn't thought about that.

Yeah we'll take 'em! B)

Pentridge
26-01-2014, 06:12 PM

I thought you were a skate![/quote]

I thought you were a skate! ;D[/quote]

Touche.

BlueAdder
26-01-2014, 06:18 PM
The draw is being very kind to you this season and with the top four playing each other the road to Wembley will be further smoothed.
Should get past Sunderland and then you are one game away from a Wembley semi final. It's all looking good.

PapaLazarou
26-01-2014, 07:47 PM
Could be worse. We have an excellent away record against Sunderland and have usually won or drawn our games there. The 2-1 League Cup game was our only defeat up there in recent decades.

Dismal place, dismal journey for travelling fans, not beaten them in our last four outings, the scene of crucial injuries that could yet cost us league places and it wouldn't surprise me if we have the additional pressure of being the bookies' favourites..

Yes, it's winnable, but I'd happily settle for a draw at this moment in time..

Pentridge
26-01-2014, 07:54 PM
They won't want a draw what with them being in a relegation battle and with the League cup final looming the week the replay would be played.

BilltheCat
26-01-2014, 09:23 PM
One thing's for certain...none of you plastics will go.

Dirtyweasel
26-01-2014, 09:44 PM
One thing's for certain...none of you plastics will go.

How was Morecombe bill?

chiswickmart
27-01-2014, 08:09 AM
They won't want a draw what with them being in a relegation battle and with the League cup final looming the week the replay would be played.

It's a damn god draw for you. Two of the big guns will go out and you've got a team more interested in a Cup Final and a relegation campaign. The team they sent out on Saturday were left hanging on against Kidderminster, I can't believe they'll put out anything different for your game.

I'm concerned my '38 Years' post is in danger of being lost.

Grannie64
27-01-2014, 08:27 AM
It could be a good time to play them, but with Pod's previous he'll probably put a stronger side out in hope of getting another one over us. Best chance to get to the quarter finals since 2003. But one game at a time please.

PapaLazarou
27-01-2014, 09:15 AM
Looking at how best to get to this one...

Over 200 quid by train or air, neither of which are great times and both appear to involve a stop over..

Probably 100 quid or so in fuel to drive it..

Cheapest option would be Travel Club (40 notes ?) but likely to be 7 hours plus (each way) on a coach..

Think the car's looking favourite at the moment...

Pentridge
27-01-2014, 09:53 AM
Looking at how best to get to this one...

Over 200 quid by train or air, neither of which are great times and both appear to involve a stop over..

Probably 100 quid or so in fuel to drive it..

Cheapest option would be Travel Club (40 notes ?) but likely to be 7 hours plus (each way) on a coach..

Think the car's looking favourite at the moment...

I might be up for that if there's a spare seat?

PapaLazarou
27-01-2014, 09:59 AM
I might be up for that if there's a spare seat?

No worries - assuming everything pans out at my end*, then a seat's yours..

( * - thinking of Wheels and upcoming events..)

Pentridge
27-01-2014, 10:01 AM
Cool.

Have a ticket for Arsenal on Tuesday so hopefully see you at the normal place.

PapaLazarou
27-01-2014, 10:02 AM

I might drive in - need a lift ?

Dirtyweasel
27-01-2014, 10:05 AM

I might drive in - need a lift ?[/quote]

Cool B)

PapaLazarou
27-01-2014, 10:10 AM

Cool B)[/quote]

It's do-able...

Pentridge
27-01-2014, 11:22 AM

It's already sorted with my mate. (The one we went to the Aussie game with Wease)

Cheers anyhow Papa.

Dirtyweasel
27-01-2014, 02:30 PM
Depending on my circumstance, I may drive for the Sunderland game. We might pass bill on his way back from Morecombe - if he bothered going to games, either home or away XD XD

PapaLazarou
27-01-2014, 02:33 PM
Depending on my circumstance, I may drive for the Sunderland game.

Depending upon your circumstances, your motor might be more economical than mine.. ;)

Southerndown
27-01-2014, 02:44 PM
We might pass bill on his way back from Morecombe

Geography not your strong point then?

I thought Pents would go up by train, the free option! :?

Dirtyweasel
27-01-2014, 03:22 PM

Geography not your strong point then?[/quote]

A34?

chiswickmart
27-01-2014, 03:27 PM

A34?[/quote]

Morecambe?

Southerndown
27-01-2014, 03:32 PM

A34?[/quote]

You do realise Newcastle Upon Tyne and Newcastle Under Lyme are two different places don't you?

Dirtyweasel
27-01-2014, 03:41 PM
So how would you get to the M1 or M6 from the south?

Pentridge
27-01-2014, 05:16 PM
Newcastle Under Lyme are two different places don't you?

I've been there on the way back from Anfield.

I was underwhelmed tbf.

Brockley_Jack
27-01-2014, 07:56 PM
Newcastle Under Lyme are two different places don't you?

I've been there on the way back from Anfield.

I was underwhelmed tbf.[/quote]

I once went all the way there to play a gig to no-one once, a place called the Rigger. Expected the van to be on bricks after we'd finished.

Dirtyweasel
27-01-2014, 09:52 PM
Still waiting for my skatelogic route planner XD

chiswickmart
28-01-2014, 08:01 AM
Still waiting for my skatelogic route planner XD

So 3 weeks after our trip to Morecambe you think you might bump into Bill on a small stretch of road from Winchester to Oxford?

How long is your routeplanner suggesting you put aside for the trip to Sunderland?

PS If you're willing to do 90mph on the motorways I reckon M3, M25, M1 would be quicker than the A34 anyway...so many slow lorries overtaking on that stretch.

Dirtyweasel
28-01-2014, 09:26 AM
90mph on the M25??

I'm guessing you don't travel on that delightful stretch of motorway particularly often...and we all know that billy no mates doesn't go to games - home or away.

chiswickmart
28-01-2014, 09:31 AM
90mph on the M25??

I'm guessing you don't travel on that delightful stretch of motorway particularly often...and we all know that billy no mates doesn't go to games - home or away.

It's rubbish most of the time, but at 7am on a Saturday morning?

Or are you leaving 2 weeks early for this trip?

blueonthetyne
29-01-2014, 11:40 AM
as a pompey lad in the north east with a shared season ticket at sunderland if you need any local info ill help, love the banter with the few lads at the league match just a shame about the kick off time being early and so few travelled.

OhWell
29-01-2014, 12:05 PM
Three away trips to Sunderland in one season is not ideal. Few fans will go to all three. But, my guess is that about 2,000 fans will make the trip this time, as it is on a Saturday afternoon and not being shown live on TV.

Pentridge
29-01-2014, 04:04 PM
12.45 KO.

Jings, what time are we going to leave?!?

PapaLazarou
29-01-2014, 04:05 PM
FFS - kick off will be at 12:45 on Saturday 15th..

Can't see too many fans being keen on making such an early trip twice in one month..

What a pain in the 'arris.. >:)

PapaLazarou
29-01-2014, 04:07 PM
12.45 KO.

Probably looking at being fueled up and on the road by 5:00 / 5:15 - that should give us time for a couple of quiet ones before the game..

Pentridge
29-01-2014, 04:11 PM
At least we'll be home earlier!

Souths is travelling up to Scotland that day and reckons he's going to get a ticket for the match too.

Dirtyweasel
29-01-2014, 04:15 PM
Why is it now a 12.45 k/o?

Pentridge
29-01-2014, 04:19 PM
Why is it now a 12.45 k/o?

Not sure, ITV are showing the Man City/Chelsea game early evening that day so I'm not sure if we'll even be on TV?

PapaLazarou
29-01-2014, 04:23 PM
News of this only popped up on Saints Twitter site a few minutes ago - nothing on Sunderland's as yet, and other than SaintsWeb that reckons the game is televised, there's nothing anywhere else as far as I can see..

Dirtyweasel
29-01-2014, 04:26 PM
Would be an odd change if it's not on TV :?

PapaLazarou
29-01-2014, 04:32 PM
Confirmed on FA website - the game is live on BT Sport..

As Pents says, at least we'll get home on Saturday..

Pentridge
29-01-2014, 04:35 PM
A bloke on Saintsweb reckons it'll only be 15 quid for adults which would be a right result if true.

OhWell
29-01-2014, 04:54 PM
Three trips to Sunderland and yet another one on live TV, with the kick-off time changed. Well that will reduce our away support for this one as well.

I've got BT Sport so I will be one of the fans not going now, as with the early kick-off, it would mean staying in Sunderland the night before.

PapaLazarou
29-01-2014, 05:08 PM
I wouldn't bother taking time from work to crawl up in traffic on a Friday.

With a clear run on Saturday morning, I'd guess door to door would be about 5 hours tops, maybe 5 and a bit allowing for a 'comfort break' en route, so not that bad..

Since I'm normally up at sparrow's fart anyway, the earlier KO probably suits me better..

chiswickmart
29-01-2014, 05:14 PM
12.45 KO.

Probably looking at being fueled up and on the road by 5:00 / 5:15 - that should give us time for a couple of quiet ones before the game..[/quote]

I wouldn't expect petrol money fom Pents, or even a couple of beers. He doesn't pay for transport!!

Pentridge
29-01-2014, 09:46 PM
I only bump the rattler.

ATAF.

Pentridge
30-01-2014, 09:46 AM
This game is officially a goer at my end, so sign me up for 10 hours stuck in a car with Weasel's noxious, toxic emissions.

On second thoughts...

Brockley_Jack
30-01-2014, 07:34 PM
I wouldn't bother taking time from work to crawl up in traffic on a Friday.

With a clear run on Saturday morning, I'd guess door to door would be about 5 hours tops, maybe 5 and a bit allowing for a 'comfort break' en route, so not that bad..

Since I'm normally up at sparrow's fart anyway, the earlier KO probably suits me better..

5 hours is quite doable if you get lucky with traffic, which you should. Years back I used to knock about with a sort from just outside Boro. Driving non-stop I did that in 4 hours straight a good few times, Mackem land is only a little way further up the road.

PapaLazarou
30-01-2014, 08:05 PM
Trust me, I'll be doing my level best to nail it in as little over 4 hours as possible.. ;D

Back in the day, I used to travel up to Tyneside & Teesside maybe once or twice a week and I'd have been well miffed if either took me longer than 5 hours - and that was driving a ratty little diesel. Like yourself, a whisker over 4 hours was about as good as it got - usually meant a 4am start, mind..

Can't say that I particularly miss those days.. :D

PapaLazarou
03-02-2014, 08:42 PM
A bloke on Saintsweb reckons it'll only be 15 quid for adults...

He wasn't wrong...

ozzy62
03-02-2014, 11:07 PM
Depending on my circumstance, I may drive for the Sunderland game. We might pass bill on his way back from Morecombe - if he bothered going to games, either home or away XD XD

I think Bill had to sign the register that week,so I doubt very much he made it to Morecum.:blue:

Pentridge
04-02-2014, 05:08 PM

He wasn't wrong...[/quote]

Have tickets for this match been acquired?

PapaLazarou
04-02-2014, 05:49 PM
They did go on sale to STHs today but I've not popped over to SMS yet..

BilltheCat
14-02-2014, 07:46 PM
Looking forward to bumping in to all you Scum Mad posters as you head off to Sunderland tomorrow.

I guess this place will be a "ghost board" in the morning?

Fat chance!!!!! :blue:

proclaimer
14-02-2014, 09:35 PM
Looking forward to bumping in to all you Scum Mad posters as you head off to Sunderland tomorrow.

Like your lot have any interest in the later stages of the FA Cup. >;)

Pentridge
15-02-2014, 09:44 AM

He wasn't wrong...[/quote]

Have tickets for this match been acquired?[/quote]

Surely smart phones (albeit probably stolen) have reached your grotty part of Tower Hamlets Billy?

Brockley_Jack
15-02-2014, 09:51 AM

We could always pretend we went, like you do. Can't be bothered to humour you though to be honest. If TTA is the pisshead, you're the hangover.

BilltheCat
16-02-2014, 12:01 AM
We could always pretend we went

You don't need to pretend. Everyone knows Scum Mad posters are full of p1ss and wind.

All five of you!

Brockley_Jack
17-02-2014, 12:01 AM
So the Mackems got drawn away to either Hull or Brighton in the quarters. Gutted. :blue:

Interesting that either Forest, Charlatan or one of the two Sheffields will have a trip to Wembley. Fair play to whoever prevails but I can't help but feel a bit cheated.