PDA

View Full Version : Carlisle rugby league

pudseyblue
26-01-2014, 10:58 AM
Apologies that this is not about football, I just want to report on an interesting experience I had yesterday.
The Leeds branch of CAMRA had a social in the Meanwood area of the city yesterday afternoon. The second pub we went to was a boozer called the Bay Horse, anyway I got talking to the landlord who was a guy called Paul Fletcher who is an ex Rugby League player. Leeds and Bramley were a couple of his clubs, I told him I got interested in RL when Carlisle formed a club in the early eighties. For those that remember it Allan Agar was the coach, Paul said Agar was a good friend of his and he spoke to him regularly.
A few minutes later he came over with his mobile phone and said here, Allan is on the phone! I was a bit shocked at first but then had a really good chat with him about the early days at Carlisle, he said that after the first season when they got promoted, he was promised funds to strengthen the squad, this never happened and of course they were stuffed nearly every game

goldsmithhadagoodgam
26-01-2014, 01:38 PM
Good stuff, i can only recall a win over workington in that second season. I liked the away shirt it was like a proto deckchair but with horizontal stripes.

durhamblue
26-01-2014, 02:08 PM
happy memories of meanwood-used to live in newton hall drive-good pubs

used to go to foxys in chapel allerton which is not there anymore

malsy
26-01-2014, 02:29 PM
Mick Morgan! enjoyed the old RL but foo ked the pitch.

pudseyblue
26-01-2014, 09:08 PM
I believe Mick Morgan now commentates for the Castleford games on the radio.