PDA

View Full Version : Raith Rovers Gesture

topfitter
26-01-2014, 10:35 PM
A fantastic gesture by Raith Rovers FC in my opinion to mark the efforts of their players enlisting and serving in the Great War.

I would be happy for Queen Of The South FC to mark the 100 year anniversary to honour Queens players and supporters and those of Dumfries and Galloway who have paid the ultimate price for their country in all conflicts.

I guess in this instance to follow Raith's lead the strip would be in the colours of the former Kings Own Scottish Borderers, Regiment. - view external link (http://www.raithrovers.net/12691/wear-these-shirts-with-pride.htm)

tube8
11-02-2014, 09:37 AM
Part of me thinks it's a nice way for them to pay their respects, the other cynical part thinks it's a bit opportunistic.

Either way it's a very smart strip and I'm sure they'll sell lots of them.

Lest we forget!

Cpt_Blackadder
11-02-2014, 09:09 PM
I am really impressed by Raith Rovers new strip and wish them every success.
Seven Raith Rovers enlisted in McCrae's Battalion along with 11 Hearts players. Some Hearts players enlisted in other battalions e.g. they were already in the T.A. or reservists. In fact 72 football clubs were represented in this battalion (Officially the 16th Royal Scots - and a battalion was about 1,000 men). Most of these were Junior or East of Scotland clubs e.g. Gala Faiydean and Edinburgh and Leith Fish Trades (!)

In 1915 the League Secretary surveyed the numbers of players from league clubs serving in the armed forces. Here are some of the returns...

Hearts - 16
Aberdeen - 14
Falkirk - 10
St. Mirren - 9
Clyde - 8
Dundee - 8
Raith - 7
Kilmarnock - 5
Morton - 5
At the bottom Rangers - 2, Hamilton and Motherwell 0 (though they had several players in essential industries e.g. steel making)

Celtic refused to take part in the survey stating that all their players were 'sole-supports, engaged in Gove

Cpt_Blackadder
11-02-2014, 09:25 PM
There are two interesting V.C. winners from Dumfries who are commemorated in the town.

They ared on the Maxwelltown War Memorial and they have plaques in Troqueer Church and Laurieknowe Primary which both attended. James McKenzie was awarded his medal posthumously having been killed attempting to rescue a wounded man just before Christmas 1914. James Tait was killed at the tail end of the war in August 1918. He led an a bayonet charge on a concealed German machine gun position and was mortally wounded by a shell.

I find there stories quite humbling.

I am travelling to France and Belgium in August with 25 friends and family members and plan to lay a wreath at the memorial to James McKenzie. He has no known grave.

Neither men were in the K.O.S.B. One was in the Scot Guards and one was in a Canadian unit. We will also lay a wreath to the 16th Royal Scots - the first pals battalion to also bear the 'Footballers battalion'.

I was thinking of profiling James McKenzie for

topfitter
11-02-2014, 10:24 PM
Is there any interest?

I for one would be interested in such an article.Having had family members serve in The Great War, World War 2, Korean War and National Service, and family and friends in Falklands Conflict and more recent peacetime I am greatly appreciative of those who have served their country.

blazerman
12-02-2014, 04:00 AM
Sounds like a very interesting article go for it Blackadder.The programme needs a bit of variety and local history.

tube8
12-02-2014, 09:00 AM
Sounds good to me Blackadder.

Was it correct that Celtic tried to get Hearts docked points for not fulfilling a fixture during that period?

Cpt_Blackadder
12-02-2014, 09:15 AM
I'll double check but I think they wanted Hearts kicked out the league for failing to fulfill a fixture. The Hearts team was doing army training including overnight route marches and couldn't get a team together. When they did play they had to use boots a size bigger than normal because their feet were so swollen and blistered. They led the league for 37 of the 39 matches with Celtic pipping them by 4 points (2 for a win) in the last couple of weeks of the season. Hearts by then had 3 players overseas.

arrol1919
12-02-2014, 09:23 AM
Sounds like a very interesting article go for it Blackadder.The programme needs a bit of variety and local history.

Agreed , go for it Blackadder . It would be nice to read something different for a change

Palmyman
12-02-2014, 10:27 AM
Yes mate this would be a very good read I am sure as the current programme has suffered badly for content since Big Ian Black and his pals all
stopped contributing articles.

aloreburn
12-02-2014, 11:35 AM
With all due respect to all those who contribute to the programme , I also think it needs freshened up & would like to see more interesting articles in it every week .

Your article would be a refreshing change Captain Blackaddder . Give it a go

Cpt_Blackadder
12-02-2014, 12:10 PM
Thanks - and two yes's would have been enough to persuade me!

steakpiegravy
13-02-2014, 11:44 AM
I guess in this instance to follow Raith's lead the strip would be in the colours of the former Kings Own Scottish Borderers, Regiment.

Which coincidentally is featured on the link below which was brought up in the discussion on historical strips on the "match posters" thread. Its different I'll give you that. Looks a bit Motherwellish. - view external link (http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Scottish_Football_League/Queen_of_the_South/Queen_of_the_South.htm)

Deke
14-02-2014, 09:13 PM
My wife and I went over to France and Belgium in 2010 to visit the battlefields and memorials and we came across Contalmaison by accident on our way to a museum. It was a quiet Sunday morning with only the sound of birdsong. My grandfather served in the Seaforths rather than KOSBs (don't know why as he was from Dumfries) but I think it's a good idea to produce a strip if there's enough time.