PDA

View Full Version : Farewell Al Martin

AlexLeicester
27-01-2014, 03:43 PM
So Al Martin has gone in search of first team football (OS announcement). Seems fair enough as he looked good last season, but Ben Garratt is now No 1.
This leaves us a bit short, unless Phillips is fit enough to sit on the bench and take over if required.

SD is clearly balancing the books (although we can't get rid of Audel :-(), but is this going to leave us a bit short at a crucial time?

Bankole
27-01-2014, 04:11 PM
He was a decent keeper but no major loss in my opinion. Wish him luck in the future...

somersetcrewe
27-01-2014, 05:20 PM
Couldn't make the grade so no great loss.
Wish him well at his next club ... not sure who's in the Evo-Stick these days ...?!!
Only kidding, good luck Al !!

AstonAlex
27-01-2014, 06:40 PM
I will disagree with those saying his departure is no great loss. If Phillips is not match fit then we have no keeper to warm the bench, and Martin did that as well as any!

And, whilst we are discussing his ability, he could teach our keeping coach all about the quick release of the ball to the full backs or, better, wide men. I grant you that his keeping was no better (and not much worse) than Phillips and the chances of improving didn't seem to be there, plus the manager clearly had no faith in him. But a good keeper isn't solely judged on saves, catching crosses, etc - the most important side of their game admittedly. The BEST keepers do all that but also instigate attacks - I wish someone would tell Phillips that and that Ben learns it is ***** to his onward progress.

Best of luck to Martin, though, he may well have a good career in Scotland. . . just like another Alex reject, Ben Williams.

fevver_tox
27-01-2014, 07:48 PM
Come as a bit of a shock to me this has,but all the best to Al for the future wherever he may end up.

DaveWoo
27-01-2014, 10:08 PM
I think this had a lot more to do with Cornwall than anything else tbh.
Either does mean that Phillips is match fit, or we are getting a loan keeper in again, though.

Dazzz
28-01-2014, 09:34 AM
I think this had a lot more to do with Cornwall than anything else tbh.
Either does mean that Phillips is match fit, or we are getting a loan keeper in again, though.

Interesting that Alan Martin doesn't have another club lined up already...

Crewe313
28-01-2014, 09:46 AM
I never rated him at all. Never filled me with confidence in goal. His only plus was his distribution.

However, not a good shot stopper and could not command an area for Toffee. In a season like this where we have been leaking goals, this was his season to claim the number 1 shirt. If he was doing it in the reserves and training consistently then he would have his chance. I think you will find he will not get another league one team and maybe struggle for league 2

He should have gone last year IMO. We now need a couple more who aren't up to this standard to be shown the exit.