PDA

View Full Version : morton v queens

blazerman
27-01-2014, 04:07 PM
This game is rearranged for this Wednesday 29th January 730pm kick off.

luke11
28-01-2014, 03:59 PM
The Travel club coach tomorrow night is now fully booked a reserve list will now operate.

General1
29-01-2014, 01:05 PM
I hope everyone makes a donation how small it maybe and keep the good of Queen of the south and The Doonhamers Travel Club Scotland's finest. I have sent my donation via someone who can make it tonight.

aloreburn
29-01-2014, 01:07 PM
Really not sure what to expect tonight after Saturdays sad circumstances .

Morton will no doubt want to win that little bit more now and dedicate their win to the fan who sadly passed away and you'd imagine there'll be a big crowd there what with it being free entry .

Saying that , a win for Queens will see us up to 4th place in the league .

General1
29-01-2014, 01:13 PM
only one winner tonight respect!

arrol1919
29-01-2014, 07:06 PM
Tonight's starting 11

- Clark, Mitchell, Holt, McKenna, Durnan, Higgins, Reilly, Burns, Lyle, Paton, Russell

arrol1919
29-01-2014, 07:07 PM
Queens Subs: Atkinson, McHugh, Carmichael, McShane, Dzierzawski, Dowie, Hooper

arrol1919
29-01-2014, 08:03 PM
Young Jim Atkinson replaces the injured Clark midway through the 1st half - view external link (http://www.qosfc.com/live-updates)

Xelga
29-01-2014, 08:16 PM
Goal! Queens up 1 nil. Russell 44mins.

Xelga
29-01-2014, 08:20 PM
Higgins sent off. Half time.
Dowie on for Paton.

deek5trans
29-01-2014, 08:41 PM
Down to 9 men, Russell sent off. Not good not good at all.

WULLIEQOS
29-01-2014, 08:47 PM
GOING DOWN TO 9 MIGHT BE A GAME TURNER HOW BAD IS CLARKS INJURY DOES ANY ONE KNOW

steakpiegravy
29-01-2014, 11:11 PM
Well that was interesting. Dreadful game until we went 1-0 up in 45min with the keeper going off injured then 2 sent off in the early 2nd half. I think I must have been the only Queens fan who felt both sendings off were justified and that Imrie was a bit unlucky to be booked for diving - mind you he was incredibly lucky not to be sent off late on. What a fight in the 2nd half and well done to the guys especially the young keeper Jim Atkinson who had a few nice saves.

deek5trans
29-01-2014, 11:11 PM
Well under the circumstance this is a cracking result B)

How long will Higgins be out now?

nithvalley
29-01-2014, 11:22 PM
Great result under the circumstances.

Well done to the guys on the pitch who came so close to victory.

Surely, though, McKenna should have been subbed immediately after his yellow to avoid the inevitable red !

Seems he's not the only one !

rjc_1988
29-01-2014, 11:45 PM
Firstly thought that the decision to revert back to 4-2-3-1 was bad enough but to then pick Gavin Reilly wide right was crazy. He spent most of the first half tracking back to cover Marc Fitzpatrick????? Was thy a good use of valuable resource. If this formation is designed to give us cheap midfield possession then it certainly didn't work. That said I thought Morton were dreadful especially their back four...why we didn't have a real go and try and kill them off is beyond me.Very poor management once again!!!!

Higgins sending off was a truly awful decision.

Russell on other hand has been a ticking time tomb ...week after week he has been winding up opponents, officials and himself and tonight's idiotic lunge was frankly ridiculous and what a let down for his teammates and the supporters.Personally his exclusion on Saturday will give somebody else a chance and I hope whoever gets the nod takes his chance as Ian Russell is not a wide left player in my view.

Have to say the team's

jzee
29-01-2014, 11:56 PM
Being as objective as possible having suffered every possible emotion tonight my views on main points are as follows.
Clark looked like a groin strain or upper leg strain not hopeful of immediate return.
Atkinson was excellent
Higgins very unlucky to get red card, booking for handball definitely but o Connor flick 25 yards out no way a clear goal scoring opportunity.
Russell complete idiot let side down, 2 footed lunge in middle of pitch pure muppetry.
Remaining 9 battled gamely ,Holt, Durnan,McKenna immense.

fatfan
30-01-2014, 12:20 AM
This game will stick with me for the standard of refereeing throughout. Couldn't believe some of the decisions on the night. In terms of McKenna getting subbed after his booking nv I don't understand where you are going with that. He went on to have a solid game, although I have to concede he seemed off the pace at the start. How mcshane was booked ill never know, burns was another who was harshly booked and higgins sending off was a joke. the only decision he got right was russells sending off, but even then there was no action taken on the morton player for raising his hands. imrie should have walked. that was a more obvious decision han the one with higgins. This, along with the numerous fouls the ref gave against us made me wonder if he had a tenner on a morton win.

I had to also question some of our managers decisions tonight though. Starting with the one up front again made us look weak in our forward play for long spells in the first half against a poor Morton side. The dec

fruitloop
30-01-2014, 12:26 AM
The referee was horrible. Highins no red card russel definitely. How burns didn't see red is beond me he fouled about 5 times after his yellow. Would be interesting to see if he walked if we had 11 on the park. Mckenna was amazing as usual. Commanding and keeping the team going he closed down at the edge of box wen most others just parked the bus.

Great performance great result big game on Saturday with a weekend team.

blazerman
30-01-2014, 04:17 AM
One of the strangest matches and atmospheres I have witnessed as a Queens fan.I felt both teams should have had a penalty in the first half the blatant hand ball by the Morton player and I also felt we were lucky to see Imrie booked for diving as from where I was sitting it looked like a stone wall penalty.As for the sendings off Higgins was never a straight red but Russell let himself,team mates,the club and fans down with an idiotic challenge which was a definate staight red even though he never made contact the intent was there.
The 9 men who remained on the pitch were heroes with a backs to the wall 2nd half performance and were actually very unlucky not to come away with three points.Well done also to young Jim who performed well in difficult circumstances and showed he is able back up.
Once again credit must go to the Queens support who turned out in great numbers considering the short notice of this rearranged fixture.As usual we showed total respect during the minutes applause

steakpiegravy
30-01-2014, 08:34 AM
One of the strangest matches and atmospheres I have witnessed as a Queens fan. Agreed - the second half was just weird!

I felt both teams should have had a penalty in the first half the blatant hand ball by the Morton player and I also felt we were lucky to see Imrie booked for diving as from where I was sitting it looked like a stone wall penalty. .
Didnt see the handball well enough but I also felt there was a hand used on Imrie. Be interested to see this on gootv later. Also heard someone say Imrie may have caused the keepers injury but saw nothing there.

As for the sendings off Higgins was never a straight red .
Not so sure. Definitely deliberate handball from where I was sitting so debate is whether or not it was a goalscoring opportunity. The likelihood of O'Connor making it all the way to goal without having a

Alibi
30-01-2014, 10:05 AM
I thought that game was ruined by the red cards, although I think they were correct decisions. From where I was standing it looked as if O'Connor had flicked the ball past Higgins and Higgins instinctively handled it. Because he was the last man the ref had no choice. Russell was just stupid - always liked him as a player but he seems to have anger management issues nowadays. First half I thought Morton looked quite good (I'm measuring from a very low baseline here remember) with some of the passing moves being excellent but not enough clear chances being created. The one where O'Connor hit the post was a lovely turn and shot. The Imrie booking was a travesty - it was a clear foul right on the edge of the area (I would say right on the line so 50/50 if it was a penalty or a free kick) and how the ref judged that to be a dive is beyond me but maybe the video will show it differently. After the red cards the game died a bit as Queens just played 8 packed into defence most of the t

aloreburn
30-01-2014, 11:02 AM
Most of the fans who've said young Jim isn't ready yet haven't even seen the lad play .

He certainly proved the 'experts' wrong last night

palmylad
30-01-2014, 12:06 PM
Jim Atkinson makes a save late on against Morton last night >>>>>>

http://i60.tinypic.com/23s6bdf.jpg

Alibi
30-01-2014, 12:15 PM
Just seen the video and the Imrie incident is just outside the line I think so wouldn't have been a penalty anyway. Still a bad decision by the ref tough.

middleagedirtbag
30-01-2014, 01:28 PM
Just watched "goo tube" now and the Higgins sending off was very harsh.His arm was raised even before the flick as he appeared to be anticipating a challenge/collision with the Morton player.
Not so for harsh for Russell...what a zoomer!

palmylad
30-01-2014, 06:04 PM
A view from the dugout - Kenny Shiels style >>>>> - view external link (http://inverclyde-tv.com/stories/4311-view-from-the-dugout-30th-jan-2014)

topfitter
30-01-2014, 07:12 PM
Kenny Shiels view at odds with BBC report.

Surely cannot have been the variance from his to BBC figures!!!

Comes across as a sore (Not winner) who only see's a game from his own rose tinted specs, bet Macca is seething at his comments. - view external link (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25955380)

jardi
31-01-2014, 11:23 AM
Shiels makes a fair point about Queens packing the defence and about how difficult it is to play 11 v 9 in one half of the pitch. However, the glaring error to that argument is why the hell did he play that way?

The patently obvious solution is to draw the opposition into your defensive half, thus creating more space for the extra two men to exploit the gaps left in the attacking half!

Sour grapes methinks by an experienced manager, who should have been able to beat any team, playing half a match with two extra players.

Thankfully, it was Morton that we were playing on Wednesday, and hopefully Jim McIntyre has finally had proof positive of the red mist that descends on Russell, McKenna et al. Indiscipline will cost us dear if we continue to adopt that tactic, please change the tune Jim!