PDA

View Full Version : The Old South Bank

WOODLANDSWOLF
27-01-2014, 04:29 PM
I forget where I found this pic, but it is one I had never seen before. It goes some way in conveying the huge size of the old terraces. 30,000 people crammed in all behind one goal, incredible.

I used to love standing in the North Bank for a big floodlit game and looking down the field. The south bank looked like a huge black wall towering into the sky illuminated by thousands of cigarettes being lit.

It is hard to describe to anyone who is too young to have experienced it just what it was like.

This pic looks like it was taken in the sixties or seventies. All I know is that it shows Liverpool supporters gathering about two hours before kickoff, apparently there were tens of thousands of them and they pretty much monopolized the South Bank for the game.

The surprising thing about the Photo is that it appears to be the cover of an edition of Life magazine.

Somewhere in the mist, in the corner in the background, there was an old fashioned open plan concrete urinal. I perched, arm

Woking88
27-01-2014, 05:33 PM
Thanks for that Woody!

I remember standing on the South Bank watching in some very big crowds. The surging from the back was a big problem and, at times, I would have killed for a lung full of cold fresh air!

I also remember John Richards getting the only goal of the match in the second leg of the 1974 League Cup semi-final right down in front of us. The attendance then was only 32,605 which was well down on the 53,379 who watched us beat Leeds 2-1 at the end of the 1971-72 season to scupper their title hopes. I was at that one as well! :)

WOODLANDSWOLF
27-01-2014, 05:38 PM
Thanks for that Woody!

I remember standing on the South Bank watching in some very big crowds. The surging from the back was a big problem and, at times, I would have killed for a lung full of cold fresh air!

I also remember John Richards getting the only goal of the match in the second leg of the 1974 League Cup semi-final right down in front of us. The attendance then was only 32,605 which was well down on the 53,379 who watched us beat Leeds 2-1 at the end of the 1971-72 season to scupper their title hopes. I was at that one as well! :)

You weren't stood next to me on the urinal wall were you? ;D

Woking88
27-01-2014, 05:51 PM
You taking the pi$$? XD XD XD

wolves71
27-01-2014, 06:20 PM
First memory of going to a Wolves game, Wolves v Blues 84/85 season and walking out at the top of the South Bank, reality stuck with how big it was. I was absolutely gutted when it was demolished. Nowadays, any ground that we travel to and has a standing area, brings back memories of years gone by.

WOODLANDSWOLF
27-01-2014, 06:31 PM
Here are two more wonderfully atmospheric photographs. Been there done that in both cases!

http://i43.tinypic.com/35mfnsp.jpg

http://i41.tinypic.com/2wgc4sw.jpg

Evewolf65
27-01-2014, 06:39 PM
That bottom picture looks like a Philip Marlowe convention!!XD

WOODLANDSWOLF
27-01-2014, 06:46 PM
That bottom picture looks like Philip Marlowe convention!!XD

XD X-D

Just noticed at the very bottom of the second photo the kid is holding one of those enormous wooden "rattles". I think the home guard used them in the war to warn of air raids. Anyway, I used to have one of those, not only were they incredibly noisy but you could also use them to club rival fans into submission.

Or so I have been led to believe.O:) O:-)

Dudleywolf
27-01-2014, 08:31 PM
I Remember queuing for Leeds tickets for the 1972 FACSF at Maine road , I joined the queue at the stafford road island, up the stafford road to by the elephant& castle, then right past the healthcentre by the school up the road past the feathers, turned right at the top of the road by the cobblers then down Molineux street, left accross the northbank carpark , left up waterloo road, up the alley (as per photo) turn into Southbank, all six or so turnstiles in operation, got me ticket out onto the terrace then back out into the street. Magic times.

Also remember queuing for Shrewsbury FACQTRF tickets , all nighter in the Molineux alley, some wag slept in a coffin !

WOODLANDSWOLF
27-01-2014, 08:41 PM
I Remember queuing for Leeds tickets for the 1972 FACSF at Maine road , I joined the queue at the stafford road island, up the stafford road to by the elephant& castle, then right past the healthcentre by the school up the road past the feathers, turned right at the top of the road by the cobblers then down Molineux street, left accross the northbank carpark , left up waterloo road, up the alley (as per photo) turn into Southbank, all six or so turnstiles in operation, got me ticket out onto the terrace then back out into the street. Magic times.

Also remember queuing for Shrewsbury FACQTRF tickets , all nighter in the Molineux alley, some wag slept in a coffin !

Great little travelogue there Duds. I remember that cobblers very well, it was something out a Dickens novel.

wolves71
27-01-2014, 09:42 PM
Talking of Leeds, their visit to Molineux when they went up from the old second division, hundreds in the home end of the south bank. A real eye opener :O

TiptonAlbionNick
27-01-2014, 10:47 PM
Wonderful photos.

Back in the days when football was fun.

nortonwolf
28-01-2014, 09:24 AM
I remember queuing for tickets for the League Cup Final in 1980, got there ten o'clock the night before tickets went on sale armed with a supply of Banks's mild, there were already a couple of hundred there. As we walked away with our tickets the following morning the queue was like the view above of Molineux Alley but one and a half times around the ground!

greystone16
29-01-2014, 12:06 PM
Great old photos,remember the vast queues well and I think tickets were all sold from two little hatches from the secretaries office in the main Waterloo Waterloo Stand. Still have my battle weary old rattle and an original woollen scarf now only about two foot long due to shrinkage over the years,bit like parts of me !!