PDA

View Full Version : Arsenal match thread

Dirtyweasel
28-01-2014, 09:51 AM
Oh dear. For many reasons, I have no confidence in tonight's game. In fact, the only positive I can draw is that Doombar is back on tap B)

I therefore hope the evening doesn't end with us moronically happy clapping arcenal off the field having given us a sound thrashing :O

(Probably not, as we're not the self titled bestest fans in the universe :P ).

Pentridge
28-01-2014, 09:59 AM
If you see me happy clapping them off the field, you have my full permission to punch me in the knee.

Twice.

PapaLazarou
28-01-2014, 10:04 AM
I'm certainly not expecting much from tonight's game - too many absences in key positions with insufficient quality as cover.

Anything from this match (with no further injuries) would be a bonus..

Joffyw
28-01-2014, 10:55 AM
For some bizarre reason i think it'll be a very close game tonight. A new togetherness after the Osvaldo events, a week off from the pressure of the Prem and everything having died down after the NC week...of course i could be wrong!

Joffyw
28-01-2014, 10:57 AM
If you see me happy clapping them off the field, you have my full permission to punch me in the knee.

Twice.

Is punching a pre-op effectively punching a woman? Not sure where the boundary lies on that one XD XD

Grannie64
28-01-2014, 01:54 PM
Also not expecting much from tonight, all I ask is a spirited team performance. Whatever the score a performance to proud of please.

chief_wiggam
28-01-2014, 04:50 PM
Depending who partners Fonte at centre back I can see us losing 2-0 or 4-0. :blue:

souths1
28-01-2014, 05:55 PM
Won't get anything out of this game,:blue: (Pents is going).

Brockley_Jack
28-01-2014, 06:54 PM
Gallagher to start up front! :O O:) B) :star:

saintwayne
28-01-2014, 07:05 PM

Best of luck to the lad, really looking forward to this. Three 18 year olds in the starting lineup, it's the Southampton Way! ;D O:)

Brockley_Jack
28-01-2014, 07:13 PM

Best of luck to the lad, really looking forward to this. Three 18 year olds in the starting lineup, it's the Southampton Way! ;D O:)[/quote]

Yep. There's a certain sense of pride about that! COYS! B) O:)

CostaBaz
28-01-2014, 09:50 PM
Worst stream I've ever had, so missed chunks of it.

Seems like 2 points dropped. Shows how good we are becoming, when we can match teams like Arsenal, and dominate for long periods.

Missed the penalty shout, but both commentators thought it was a penalty.

No surprise it wasn't given. :blue:

RICKYwillTAKEusUP
28-01-2014, 10:22 PM
To be completely fair though Costa, ball hit Fonte's hand far more blatantly and that was definitely a more clear cut pen. Great result Saints - shame Gallagher fluffed his lines at 1-0, but thought he had a good game and pressed well. Luke Shaw and Jack Cork were especially great, I was also very impressed with JayRod's excellent assist for Lallana's equaliser. BBC summariser said this performance means Lallana 100% has to go to Brazil; he was, again, hugely impressive!

saintwayne
28-01-2014, 10:30 PM
Really proud of the team, apart from a crazy ten minutes in the second half we were the better team, and showed great character to come back again from 2-1 as we could have easily crumbled.

Very good debut from Gallagher, just a shame he put that chance wide. Special mentions also to Chambers, Shaw and Cork who were all outstanding imo. JRod was a bit frustrating but a good assist for the equaliser.

A very enjoyable game. Well done Saints. O:)

RICKYwillTAKEusUP
28-01-2014, 10:46 PM
Excellent and encouraging tweet from Lovren: 'I'll be back sooner than you think :) #strength #dontgiveup'

souths1
28-01-2014, 11:23 PM
One of the best games this season and we didn't lose, which is a godsend given PP was in attendance!!;)

Dirtyweasel
28-01-2014, 11:24 PM
Well I couldn't be happier to be proved wrong. We were outstanding tonight, and of the two teams it will be Arcenal who'll be far happier to escape with a point. We beat them in every department, but it was an excellent game of football, and refreshing to see a team come to SMS willing to play football rather than defend for 90mins.

Lallana was MOTM for me, although if pushed, I think I'd have Ozil in a Saints shirt if I had to :P

Well done MP, a good nights work O:)

Pentridge
28-01-2014, 11:31 PM
One of the best games this season and we didn't lose, which is a godsend given PP was in attendance!!;)

Yes I thought my apparent Jonah like bad luck was going to surface but thankfully it didn't!

Cracking game from Shaw and Davis imo just a shame that the boy Gallagher missed a sitter. Arsenal looked decidedly pedestrian in the first half.

Two points dropped?

OhWell
28-01-2014, 11:32 PM
That was a great game of football tonight with some world class players on both sides. Luke Shaw was probably the best player out there though. He will be better than Bale.

Pentridge
29-01-2014, 07:15 AM
The goals. - view external link (http://tinyurl.com/q5cljst)

CostaBaz
29-01-2014, 07:40 AM
To be completely fair though Costa, ball hit Fonte's hand far more blatantly and that was definitely a more clear cut pen. Great result Saints - shame Gallagher fluffed his lines at 1-0, but thought he had a good game and pressed well. Luke Shaw and Jack Cork were especially great, I was also very impressed with JayRod's excellent assist for Lallana's equaliser. BBC summariser said this performance means Lallana 100% has to go to Brazil; he was, again, hugely impressive!

Wasn't aware of the Fonte incident, so fair enough.
My stream was like flicking through a photo album. >:(

PapaLazarou
29-01-2014, 07:49 AM
A cracking game of football and, after outplaying the league leaders for large portions of the game, it had the feel of 2 points dropped as we walked away from SMS last night - but for coming out of the blocks a bit slow in the 2nd half, the 3 points would have been ours.

Thought there were great performances all over the pitch, but particular praise has to go to Shaw, Chambers, Lallana, Schneiderlin and, in particular, Jack Cork - thought all were immense. Gallagher deserves a mention as well - didn't look at all out of place and is clearly another gem for the future.,

Very pleasing to see 5 academy players involved last night - just hope the Kiddie Catcher didn't get any [more] ideas..

All in all, a thoroughly enjoying evening and a reminder (if one was needed) that this side is without doubt the best I've seen in all my years of following Saints..

Good times..

chiswickmart
29-01-2014, 08:28 AM
Has Chambers seen off Clyne for the right back slot now (need to change Fantasy team)?

Good result last night, well done, although from following on Soccer Special it did sound like 2 points dropped.

And again, nice to see English players doing well.

One other point, it does seem that you up your game when the big boys come to town. Your record against them in the last year is impressive.

PapaLazarou
29-01-2014, 09:13 AM
If you see me happy clapping them off the field..

No happy clapping here either, but have to say that the Gooners really played their part in an exciting, high tempo and high quality game of football last night. They never once drifted from their normal style of play, even when they were being pressed hard and pushed back to their own 18 yard box.

I will admit to joining in the reception for AOC when he came on the pitch, though - good to see the entire crowd giving him a decent welcome..

Pentridge
29-01-2014, 09:18 AM
Yeah that was a nice touch.

He's certainly bulked up since he left us though.

PapaLazarou
29-01-2014, 09:21 AM
He certainly bulked up since he left us though.

I thought the same - his nickname has never seemed more apt.. :D

Grannie64
29-01-2014, 10:00 AM
A stunning performance from all players involved, to see seven English players in the starting line up does make you proud to be Saints fan. Morgan, Luke, Callum, Jack, Adam and Jose the outstanding players. Sam didn't look out place and a great one for the future, hope he get's a chance Saturday as well. The future is Bright it's Red and White COYR...

kernow
29-01-2014, 10:19 AM
Whenever expectations have been low this season, Saints have played very well and been unlucky not to claim maximum points. Last night sounds as though it was another occasion like that with an excellent performance by Saints and an entertaining match by both teams. Sorry to miss it.

Well done Saints. Pride of all England. O:)

PapaLazarou
29-01-2014, 02:40 PM
Nice words from the opposition..

Southampton are the Premier Leagues best-drilled side..

In terms of pressing high up they are by far the best in the Premier League, it is tough to get out of your own half. Credit to them, that is their tactic and it worked well in the first half. We managed to get out a few times in the second half and it was a much more even game.

When you play for Arsenal, you are always disappointed when you do not win, especially when you have been 2-1 up. But having said that, we were very lucky to come in 1-0 down at half time. They had played much better than us and would have been disappointed with a draw as well, but it is a well-deserved point for both teams.

[quote=Olivier Giroud]We had some trouble in the first half to play our game, maybe because Southampton closed us down really well. After that we wanted to come back as strongly as we could and we did well but its a shame we did not manage to win the game.

Southamp

PapaLazarou
29-01-2014, 03:22 PM
So Wenger thought that Flamini's red card was 'harsh', that 'he won the ball' and 'when you run, you have to have both feet off the ground'..

No doubt he will be maintaining that stance next time an opponent slices their way studs-up through Ozil, or Wilshere, or Walcott, etc..

http://giant.gfycat.com/ImpossibleWhichCopperhead.gif

Pentridge
29-01-2014, 04:03 PM
Even the Gunner that works for me thought it was a sending off offence and he's as partisan as they come.

It happened very close to where I was sat and seemed a fait accompli as far as I was concerned.

Dirtyweasel
29-01-2014, 04:20 PM
Same old Arcenal...always cheating.

Shame the GLCT plucked an unlikely win last night. I haven't read of any Oxfam or Red Cross shops being looted in the Wycombe area last night, but I bet at least one of the travelling 150 GLCT's stole something :blue:

chiswickmart
29-01-2014, 05:09 PM
Even the Gunner that works for me thought it was a sending off offence and he's as partisan as they come.

It happened very close to where I was sat and seemed a fait accompli as far as I was concerned.

It was a 2 footed tackle so he had to go. But he got the ball and didn't go over the top. 20 years ago they wouldn't even have given a foul let alone a red card.

chiswickmart
29-01-2014, 05:11 PM
Same old Arcenal...always cheating.

Shame the GLCT plucked an unlikely win last night. I haven't read of any Oxfam or Red Cross shops being looted in the Wycombe area last night, but I bet at least one of the travelling 150 GLCT's stole something :blue:

The promised land of the Skrill is looking further and further away.

PapaLazarou
29-01-2014, 05:13 PM
Even the Gunner that works for me thought it was a sending off offence and he's as partisan as they come

I thought Morgan was going to tear Flamini a new one immediately after - that would've been the last thing we needed right now, so fair play to him for keeping his Gallic temperament under control..

Dirtyweasel
29-01-2014, 05:29 PM
The promised land of the Skrill is looking further and further away.

For Saints, yes.